Hello to all toyota RVers! I just located the original supplier of air bags for our 1990 Odyssey. Since I have been immensely assisted by various scribes on this forum I want to provide this info. The company is 3 Ts & is located in Lake Havasu, Az. They have a website so just google 3 Ts

The kits are reasonable in my opinion, $115. each or both sides for under $220. They most likely have kits for other makes also. Good luck in your hunt.

I've read elsewhere that they don't sell just the replacement air springs but will install them only. Quoted as saying that they don't trust customers to do it properly. Are they willing to sell you just the parts?

I ordered them today as kits. I'll let you know how they work out.

• 1 month later...

I ordered mine from 3 T's also as that was the brand my toy had originally. I had the kit for about a month before I screwed up the courage to install them. The lady I spoke to on the phone told me "you have to buy the whole kit" (2 airbags with mounts and air lines). They must have had problems with people only buying the bags, installing them with the old airlines and still having leaks. Makes sense to me why would I go through all the trouble of installing these things just to have old stuff still in the mix.

What I didn't like about 3 T's was they claim they're giving you a brand new kit, but in the instructions you're told to use the old mounting hardware (nuts and bolts) the old ones were so corroded I had to buy new ones. But this was only a 30 minute detour to the hardware store to buy new nuts and bolts.

I am not a mechanic but I gave it my best shot. It took me the better part of 2 days to install them, but I'm happy I did it.

• 1 month later...

Just to add my 2 cents and take note that I'm a newbie, but I had a discussion with a highly recommended spring shop here in Michigan. My newly aquired '84 Dolphin was riding very rough and my mechanic told me to stop by this place. We talked springs, air bags, etc. and in the end he recommended either beefing up my springs with one or two new leafs (they already had 3 replacement leafs in them) or going with them making me some brand new springs. He did not recommend putting air bags on it saying that the springs done right would give better performance with less maintenance. I ordered up a new set of springs which they are doing now.

They have worked on ToyHomes over many years and know the vehicle well.

I'm curious as to what other's experiences may have been with suspension.

Jim

Edited by pandu

I'm curious as to what other's experiences may have been with suspension.

Jim

I recently purchased a '92 Itasca with worn shocks, leafs and 3T air springs. The rig rolled excessively (exiting a gas station for instance) and swayed excessively when overtaken by an 18 wheeler on the freeway It seemed all the air springs did (i tried from 20PSI to 90PSI) was level the coach so it didn't sit so down by the stern. They did not appreciatively affect road handling. For me, this was not acceptable.

After exploring alternatives with the premier spring shop here in Tucson I decided to purchase a pair of Old Man Emu off road progressive spring packs matched with 4 OME off road shocks and a steering damper. After two spring pack 'adjustments' I came out with what I feel is a firm, but not harsh ride. Since I run around on a lot of Forest Service and back desert roads Dispersed Camping, I prefer a truck that rides like a truck.

http://www.arbusa.com/Products/Suspension-Systems/Emu-Dakar-Leaf-Springs/34.aspx

http://www.arbusa.com/Products/Suspension-Systems/Nitrocharger-Shock-Absorbers/31.aspx

I ended up using all the original Toyota leafs (3 primary and 2 secondary) and added 4 Old Man Emu primaries and 1 secondary for a total of 10 leafs. The monsters weigh 82# apiece.

I am now riding 2" higher than the old topped out air springs and I don't have the handling problems or the maintenance issues of the air system.

Total cost:

2-OME HD Offroad Spring packs $350

5-OME Dampers $370

U-bolts, spring pins, poly bushings, $100

For comparison, my local shop wanted $750 to add two leafs, each side.

Suspension work is dirty, nasty stuff. Unless you have a shop and love getting beat up, hire some pros. :>)

Also, all of the OME leaf springs required modifications (chop saw or torch) as well as did bushings and mounts for the dampers.

post-4694-0-91831900-1308506416_thumb.jp

post-4694-0-20077600-1308506428_thumb.jp

That's a very complete and helpful reply. Thank you.

I neglected to mention that my new custom made springs are costing me about $650 installed. I don't know if that is going to include new shocks or not. I'll let you all know.

Nope, shocks are fine.