86 dolphin ready for camping

Rolling TMCI

Bought my 86 dolphin last fall, for believe it or not 700 bucks. Needless to say it needed some tlc,but a few months and about 1300 bucks I have an awesome 2000 dollar investment that my wife, 2 daughters,and 3 mth old son are going to enjoy for years. I am proud to be a dolphin owner. If anyone has any questions about an 86 dolphin feel free to ask. I've been in it top to bottom, and have received much info from this site. Also we reply want to attend some rallies this summer if you know of one near Quincy IL, lmk.¦}

• 3 weeks later...

I feel a little like a “I have to out do you “ jerk, but….My wife and I got our 1986 Toyota Dolphin in December for free. The lady that owed it did not want to mess with it anymore. The repair estimates she got where so high, they made it junk for her so she just gave it to us. We had to haul it from Utah to Colorado on a flat bed. Turns out water in the gas tank ruined the tank and fuel pump, both needed to be replaced. With mechanical repairs, new tires, and remodeling the interior, we’re at about $3,000 now.

Our first trip (we have never done a trip in and RV before) May/June is to Yellowstone, up to Montana, Back down to Devils Tower WY, then home.

I do have a question: The HyroFlame heater, does nothing with power and LP on, no click, no blower, no sound, nothing, yet the instruction say it’s a self lighting furnace. Any ideas where to start to get it operable?

I have nothing to tell you on how to work the HydroFlame furnace but I have read in the yahoo forums that certain models were recalled. I don't know from which years but you can try and search in the archives. Ours was probably one of the deffective ones as the previous owners had some accident with it in that when I took the heater out, the carpeting as well as certain portions under the sink had black soot. Of course I niticed this, after we bought the toy. I completely took out ours and bought a Mr Heater Buddy.

I'm sure a lot of people here have great advice on how to get yours working again.

I do have a question: The HyroFlame heater, does nothing with power and LP on, no click, no blower, no sound, nothing, yet the instruction say it's a self lighting furnace. Any ideas where to start to get it operable?

Just took our first trip last weekend, and it was chilly flipped on the furnace, and got blower but no click. So I'm in the same boat. I tell ya I had a electric space heater that the previous owner had in the rear closet very small, but had to turn the darn thing down in the middle of the night. That was with mid 30s and steady 20 mph wind. It will get me by until I can fix the furnace, if i do.

P.s. still got ya at $2000. Ha ha !!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I dealt with my heater not heating, fan only, for a while. One day I attacked, yanked the beast out, threw it out the door from frustration and the realization that a new one would be over $400.00 and labor to put it in. When the heater hit the concrete, I walked over to it. There were rust chips laying around from the inside of it. I started removing access plates and saw the burner tube was rusty. I wire brushed the burner tube, shop vacuumed it out cleaned the electrical connectionsand reinstalled. It's worked perfect ever since.

So desertrat, I will be chucking my furnace out the door before ya know it. Thanx for the tip!!! Lol.