Vancouver Island Toyin?

Ron 'n Sue

The pressure is on and my Toy is down! I took her out of storage late last week, only to find the right front caliper is hanging up. No problem we'll just get one at the auto parts store - WRONG! They brought in one that looked correct. However it didn't quite fit, true it was a 1 ton front caliper, but I've discovered you have to have the words "dual rear wheels" which makes the caliper just a tad heavier duty than a basic one ton. The Toyota dealer said the last price they had was $785 but it was no longer a stock item. I thought OK I'll try and fix the existing one, but for whatever reason that piston would not move and a giant C clamp proved futile, and I really didn't want to blow it out, as seals would not be available. So I thought no problem, I get one in Bellingham. Schucks / O'Reilly's said it would take at least 10 days from the manufacturer. NAPA could have one within 24 hours from their Seattle wharehouse. I drove down yesterday picked it up and was very happy. So why am I typing this when I should be fitting the brake. Well, there are 4 clips that lock the pads in place to prevent chatter and binding. When I went to install them, 2 of them were the wrong ones, and simply will not fit. I phoned NAPA in Bellingham, and the only way they can find the part is by getting it from Toyota. So supposedly it will be in tomorrow, and supposedly it will be the correct part, which means another drive down and border line ups.

Now for what really worries me - bleeding the brake system. I've been applying WD 40 to the bleeder screws for the last 2 days, in the hope that I'll be able to loosen them off, without snapping them off. Heat is a bit of a no no due to the rubber seals, so I think it's down to good luck. NAPA told me that if I require a Left front caliper it would have to come from the re-manufacturer in Philadelphia. So please say some good words to help me get those bleeders loosened off successfully. Otherwise we won't be at the Living Forest Friday.

All the best,

YVR

R & R

The pressure is on and my Toy is down! I took her out of storage late last week, only to find the right front caliper is hanging up. No problem we'll just get one at the auto parts store - WRONG! They brought in one that looked correct. However it didn't quite fit, true it was a 1 ton front caliper, but I've discovered you have to have the words "dual rear wheels" which makes the caliper just a tad heavier duty than a basic one ton. The Toyota dealer said the last price they had was $785 but it was no longer a stock item. I thought OK I'll try and fix the existing one, but for whatever reason that piston would not move and a giant C clamp proved futile, and I really didn't want to blow it out, as seals would not be available. So I thought no problem, I get one in Bellingham. Schucks / O'Reilly's said it would take at least 10 days from the manufacturer. NAPA could have one within 24 hours from their Seattle wharehouse. I drove down yesterday picked it up and was very happy. So why am I typing this when I should be fitting the brake. Well, there are 4 clips that lock the pads in place to prevent chatter and binding. When I went to install them, 2 of them were the wrong ones, and simply will not fit. I phoned NAPA in Bellingham, and the only way they can find the part is by getting it from Toyota. So supposedly it will be in tomorrow, and supposedly it will be the correct part, which means another drive down and border line ups.

Now for what really worries me - bleeding the brake system. I've been applying WD 40 to the bleeder screws for the last 2 days, in the hope that I'll be able to loosen them off, without snapping them off. Heat is a bit of a no no due to the rubber seals, so I think it's down to good luck. NAPA told me that if I require a Left front caliper it would have to come from the re-manufacturer in Philadelphia. So please say some good words to help me get those bleeders loosened off successfully. Otherwise we won't be at the Living Forest Friday.

All the best,

YVR

R & R

All the best,

YVR

R & R

Rotten Luck! Seems like our old vehicles are becoming obsolete. Maybe we should start stocking parts just in case!

We are crossing our fingers for you, for sure, as we really are looking forward to meeting you.

Best of luck with those dang bleeder screws and let's hope nothing else gets in your way to coming Friday.

Ron & Sue

in Toy-Rig

Good Luck YVR

Sorry to hear about your brake problems. I really hope you're able to get things sorted out and join us at Living Forest this weekend. Especially after all the work you've done so far in trying to resolve the problem.

As far as food is concerned. As I mentioned before, we're planning a Meet and Greet for Friday evening. I'll provide burgers, buns, condiments etc. Our friends, Les and Fran from Courtenay (the non-Toy "guests") will provide a fresh salad, and everybody and anybody else can contribute whatever you would like. Everybody should plan on providing their own drinks and we'll all meet in the covered picnic shelter located right in the middle of our sites.

For Saturday night we were thinking that a Pot Luck would be nice. Irene and I will contribute a casserole of my world famous pasta and meat sauce. Other than that ... the sky's the limit for everybody. It's looking like we'll have about 16 adults and 2 children, so let those numbers guide you ... that's assuming YVR can make it.

I haven't planned any other activities as such but I hope everybody will enjoy checking out each others' rigs and perhaps doing some hiking on the park's beautiful trails. We'll have our car there as well and Les and Fran have a crew cab truck, so there is some limited transportation for local jaunts to the nearby grocery store if needed. I've also programmed the Nanaimo Hospital into my GPS in case anybody should need to use their services .... hopefully not. For our American friends ... I hope you've arranged some medical insurance for this trip and don't forget to fill up with your nice, cheap gas before crossing the border. (can you say $5.00 per gallon??)

Looking forward to meeting everybody this weekend. The weather forecast isnt' bad ... a bit cloudy and cool, but some sunny times too ... and no rain in the forecast. Cheers to all, Wayne & Irene

The 4 Days in our 2 rigs are now at Swan Lake RV Park outside Vernon, BC (I give it a hardy "do not recommend"). We've been on the road 1180+ miles and are still about 2 days out. Depending on stops and interest, we may hit the island Thursday afternoon/evening or maybe mid-day Friday. I brought 6 assorted bottles of home-made wine (oenophiles may turn up their noses just a bit, but it is all drinkable). We'll inquire when we arrive about what else is needed and go on a shopping trip.

The trip is pretty uneventful so far - replaced a coach battery that wouldn't hold a charge and left a gas cap sitting on a pump so got a new one, other than that, both rigs are doing exceptionally well.

See you Friday!

The 4 Days in our 2 rigs are now at Swan Lake RV Park outside Vernon, BC (I give it a hardy "do not recommend").

BTW. Scottie's RV Park in Creston BC is fabulous! Beautiful park with lots of trees and nicely equipped. Near the railroad tracks, but we had no trains after we hit the sack (last one was 11:30 p.m. - we were up late that night) and you get a little of the mouth-watering aroma of the wort cooking at the Kokannee brewery across the street, but it truly was nice. $30 plus tax.

Sounds like you're having a good trip. If you need any info/assistance along the way, feel free to call 250-246-2006 until Friday noon or so, then 250-210-2146 (cell) which we will have on all weekend for the Toy In. Cheers, Wayne

Sounds like you're having a good trip. If you need any info/assistance along the way, feel free to call 250-246-2006 until Friday noon or so, then 250-210-2146 (cell) which we will have on all weekend for the Toy In. Cheers, Wayne

I guess we should have made our Friday reservations for +/- 2 days... we got to the Living Forest campground just after 9:30 p.m. on Wednesday, June 22. The office was locked but the night security guy showed us to a big pull-through site right next to the office that we are both occupying for now. We'll be out and about the island tomorrow, but one of our rigs will probably spend most of the day here. If you are in the area, look for a '91 SeaBreeze with Oregon plates (Craig & Sherrie) or a '92 Winnebago Warrior with Idaho plates "2DAYOFF" (David & Kay).

We saw a Frontier as we were driving to the campground from the ferry (needed a muffler). Is that one of us?

If you are in the area, look for a '91 SeaBreeze with Oregon plates (Craig & Sherrie) or a '92 Winnebago Warrior with Idaho plates "2DAYOFF" (David & Kay).

BTW we can be reached on my cell phone at 2-oh-8 - ate-6-6 - 2-six-ate-9 (there! That should avoid the telephone number mining bots, yet you can figure it out...). I'll try to keep charged up and turned on, but no guarantees!

Last winter was not very nice to our Dolphin! Getting ready to go, we noticed a few problems. First the main door decides to stick shut... then cleaning out the water system, I notice the water heater has a leak, next is the stove... a broken fitting next to the regulator under the burner top-plate/stove top... (Don't ask how i found it :lips-sealed: ) I managed to get the door working, but for this trip we will not have any L.P.Gas or hot water, I caped off the tank so we could still have cold water and we will be cooking with our Coleman stove outside :wacko: . Everyone is still very excited to be going! We have reservations for the ferries at 7:45AM :ThumbUp:

See you all very soon!

Andrew, Heidi, Alli & Ty

Running back and forth to Bellingham for Toyota parts, plus a myriad of non motorhome issues has put us behind sched. Unlike the Bunneys I haven't even looked at the water system or the stove yet. So we'll be getting up early to function check them, oh yah I didn't put antifreeze in the H2O last fall, but I did drain it - so lets hope it's serviceable. I believe the brakes are once again serviceable, so hopefully we'll be on the 12:45 sailing.

Looking forward to meeting everyone,

YVR

R & R

Enjoy the time everyone. I'm down in Oregon (not too far away) but the schedule just didn't work out for us to take sufficient time off to be able to join you. That said, we'll be out for the first time as a Toyota RV "newbie" over the same weekend at a great site on the Clackamas river in Oregon.

Thanks for putting this together - photos of the rigs and folks afterwards would be nice to see!

Enjoy the time everyone. I'm down in Oregon (not too far away) but the schedule just didn't work out for us to take sufficient time off to be able to join you. That said, we'll be out for the first time as a Toyota RV "newbie" over the same weekend at a great site on the Clackamas river in Oregon.

Thanks for putting this together - photos of the rigs and folks afterwards would be nice to see!

We'll miss you! Hopefully there will be another Toy-in on our island in the Pacific in the near future and you can make it!

We arrived here at Living Forest yesterday (Thursday) afternoon and the folks from Idaho were here already. So, the fun begins...

Ron & Sue

in Toy-Rig

Thank you everyone! What a great first Toy-in for us! :ThumbUp:

It was a real pleasure meeting all of you. I hope everyone has a great vacation and safe trip home!

Alli got her ice-cream in Nanaimo before we got to the ferries and was very happy again until she found out that we would be going home, then she said she did not want to leave!

Both kids had a wonderful time! Heidi and I had a blast and we all hope to see you again soon.

Andrew.

What an incredible toy-in this was. Marvellous, interesting people. Hope we can do it again soon!

It was wonderful meeting - Wayne, Irene, Sue, Jim, Ron, Rose, Dave, Kay, Craig, Sherrie, Andrew, Heidi, Ali and Tye, as well as Les and Fran in their big 5th wheel. And don't forget us! Ron and Sue in Toy-Rig.

There were 3 Warriors.

For me, I had a great time playing with the children. It was almost like having my grandchildren around!

We got home just after nine a.m. this morning (Monday) despite having to go to the dentist for some work on sore gums (caused by a seed getting under the gum and trying to sprout!)

What a wonderful time in Nanaimo! We really enjoyed getting to meet all of the folks who came - and we're truly sorry we missed the pot luck on Saturday evening.

Thank you again, Wayne, for taking the bull by the horns and putting this Toy-In together. I hope we all meet on the road again sometime. If any of you get in the vicinity of Boise, let us know and we will arrange to get together and share some of the sights around here.

We'd love to hear from you guys - and would really like copies of all your photos! e-mail me at (leave out all spaces!) day off 53 @ gmail.com.

What an incredible toy-in this was. Marvellous, interesting people. Hope we can do it again soon!

It was wonderful meeting - Wayne, Irene, Sue, Jim, Ron, Rose, Dave, Kay, Craig, Sherrie, Andrew, Heidi, Ali and Tye, as well as Les and Fran in their big 5th wheel. And don't forget us! Ron and Sue in Toy-Rig.

There were 3 Warriors.

For me, I had a great time playing with the children. It was almost like having my grandchildren around!

We got home just after nine a.m. this morning (Monday) despite having to go to the dentist for some work on sore gums (caused by a seed getting under the gum and trying to sprout!)

We've got photos up on our Picasa site: https://picasaweb.google.com/115676470942527620808/VancouverIslandToyIn

If you have some you'd like to add to the collection, please send to: suzio36 @ shaw.ca (Leave out those spaces!)

Ron & Sue

Toy-Rig

We've got photos up on our Picasa site: https://picasaweb.go...uverIslandToyIn

Thank you for the pix! I hope others post some of theirs, too!

Like the other Toy owners have said - it was a great weekend. Certainly the potluck dinners and the camaraderie of the attendees made this a wonderful event to attend.

Now someone mentioned a Toy In around the 3rd week of September somewhere in Oregon. Sounds good to me!

YVR

Ron & Rose

• 2 weeks later...

Like the other Toy owners have said - it was a great weekend. Certainly the potluck dinners and the camaraderie of the attendees made this a wonderful event to attend.

Now someone mentioned a Toy In around the 3rd week of September somewhere in Oregon. Sounds good to me!

YVR

Ron & Rose

Has anyone heard from "Tacoma Sue" since she left the Toy-In at Living Forest? She was having problems with various things - such as no electric. It would be good to hear that she made it home okay.

Get in touch, Sue, if you read this.

The other Sue (and Ron) in Toy-Rig.

Has anyone heard from "Tacoma Sue" since she left the Toy-In at Living Forest? She was having problems with various things - such as no electric. It would be good to hear that she made it home okay.

Get in touch, Sue, if you read this.

The other Sue (and Ron) in Toy-Rig.

• 2 months later...

Enjoyin camping on the Oregon Coast at South beach State Park. There are a half dozen toy's at the park this weekend. Almost like an official toy-in.

Enjoyin camping on the Oregon Coast at South beach State Park. There are a half dozen toy's at the park this weekend. Almost like an official toy-in.