I was short a bed and decided to create a bunk bed. I took a bunk bed out of an old 1970 pickup truck camper

(my dad's that we used to camp in) and narrowed the frame by a foot (just took a hack saw and cut if off at

one of the frame supports), put in new plywood. The bunk bed goes over the couch when in use and stores over

the cab when not in use. I put in two bolts on the counter next to the stove and had to build up one end

(stove end) of the bunk to make the bunk level. I cut two holes into the tubes of the frame, just a little

bigger than the bolt heads. The frame drops right over the bolts and I made a V-notch pin to lock the frame

in on the bolts (basically a metal wedge). The other end of the bunk bed sits on the metal frame of the cab.

couch.JPG

bunk1.JPG

bunk2.JPG

bunk3.JPG

bunk4.JPG

bunk5.JPG

bolt1.JPG

hole1.JPG

Bufbooth

That's nice. Good idea. :ThumbUp:

There's just the two of us, but looks like this could be a nice retrofit for a growing family in their new Toyhouse!

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

Bufbooth, I like this idea. The wife and i have three boys and the space in our Toy is tight when everybody goes to bed at night. I ordered a Shademaker bag awning and the add a room for it a few days ago. It should be here today i hope. I am going to try and install it starting tonight. We are going to see how it works letting the boys stay in the add a room in sleeping bags. We think it will work out okay and they will have fun having there own little space to camp out.

Eddie in Texas

Hello Eddie,

I also have three boys, which was the main reason I added the bunk bed.

On extended trips (week or more) we also brought with us a piece of 1/2 inch

plywood that was just big enough to sit across the front seats of the cab

and then put a piece of memory foam over it. I would then use the tire jack

that is mounted behind the driver's seat to level the plywood out.

My smallest son would sleep on it in the cab, it was like having his own little room.

Later,

Dennis...

Bufbooth, I like this idea. The wife and i have three boys and the space in our Toy is tight when everybody goes to bed at night. I ordered a Shademaker bag awning and the add a room for it a few days ago. It should be here today i hope. I am going to try and install it starting tonight. We are going to see how it works letting the boys stay in the add a room in sleeping bags. We think it will work out okay and they will have fun having there own little space to camp out.

Eddie in Texas

I really like the idea of a pipe cot, as we regularly put 5 into the Sunrader and it is a Snugrader. Would be nice to have another sleeping level in the back. Just can't really figure out how to arrange a secure mounting system on the walls.

"... on every small boat space is a premium." Same goes for our Toyotas!

How about a pipe cot? Kids can sleep comfortably anywhere!

http://www.diy-wood-...Boat_bunks.html