4 cyl or 6 cyl

define "better".

the six has a bit more power. it's main advantage is it uses a different automatic than the 4 and is less prone to overheating. but, these overheating issues are easily dealt with just as long as you know about them. the 4 is a "better" engine by my definition because it is very reliable and easy to maintain. the six, not so much. keeping it's valve clearances in spec is a bit of work, even for an experienced mechanic. it can be done on the 4 in well under an hour.

bottom line here is if you are going to be dragging lots of junk with you, the 6 might come in handy. if you are traveling lighter and are in no big hurry, the 4 will work fine. actually, if you are in a hurry, neither will do. if you don't mind shifting for yourself, the 4 cylinder with manual is your best bet, imo. but among the newer fuel injected models, they are tough to find.

86raider is spot on and one more thing is how much you have to spend. It was not until 89 that they put a V6 in them and that was the year they had both so a 90 would be the first year that surely would have a V6 so expect to spend a fair amount more then you might for an older one.

Also, if you get a 6 cylinder Toyota, you will be getting the newest ones available,

I think they stopped officially setting the Toyotas in 1992 but by the time the last

of them ended up getting sold was 1994. Also, all of the 6 cylinder toyotas had the

upgraded 1-ton rear axle so you will not have to worry about having the old axle.

• 4 weeks later...

> " . . .the six, not so much. keeping it's valve clearances in spec is a bit of work, even for an experienced mechanic. it can be done on the 4 in well under an hour."

I'm not understanding something here . . . you are saying the V-6 has mechanical lifters?

Mike

I'm not understanding something here . . . you are saying the V-6 has mechanical lifters?

Mike

These engines don't have lifters. the cam pushes a shim right on top of the valve/valve spring assembly and opens the valves.

I like the 22RE (4cyl) much better than the 3VZ (V6) but we are talking about a very heavy camper stuck on the back. I would go with the V6. If it were just a extra-cab p/u truck, I'd take the 22RE any day...

Andrew.

If you were to travel 500mi in one day, the 22RE would be about 15 min behind the 3VZ. So what is your time worth?

The 22re will go 60mph just as fast as the 3VZ :w00t: The time differance is just an average from a few hills.

One nice thing about driveing a 22RE, you will NEVER get a speeding ticket. :-)

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

Ha! you are right if I got one I would frame it and hang it on the wall it would be worth it!

> " . . .the six, not so much. keeping it's valve clearances in spec is a bit of work, even for an experienced mechanic. it can be done on the 4 in well under an hour."

Mike

neither use lifters but are "mechanical" meaning there is no self adjusting hydraulic actuation.

the six uses the shim over bucket setup very similar to most motorcycle valvetrains. This setup works very well, but is a PITA to adjust. the 4 uses a screw with locking nut and a rocker arm to actuate the valve. extremely easy to adjust with a 12 mm box wrench and a feeler gauge.

Have I mentioned lately how much I love this forum? The Toy Gurus here continually provide a wealth of knowledge, experience and inspiration. It's a joy to read the posts and comments. It's also a joy to own a toyota motorhome. No matter which toy you choose, it requires regular doses of loving care and attention. You become obsessed. Like a Traveler's Wagon or Roma Vardo, your toy will become your expression of freedom and desire to experience everything. It might even suprise you that with it, you may find "the meaning of life".

I am considering purchasing a toyota motorhome. Which is better a 4 cylinder or a 6 cylinder?

I test drove two 4 cyl toys before I drove the 6 cyl that I bought ...

I honestly believe the only ones who like the 4 better are those who never test drove the 6 !!

Test drive one of each before buying if u can.

Just love my 22r w/5spd in my 84 Dolphin. Bullet-proof engine with excellent mpgs. If it wasn't for this Toy, I wouldn't be RVing. Also, lotsa fun to work on, bringing her up to date. Working on the upholstery this year, among other things. One of these days I'm gonna post a pic of "Cricket". :D

Tudy