In the Market for an axle; need help have questions

Greetings all; first time poster and newest member of the clan.

I live in Coldwater Mi, and have been Mini RV hunting for over a year now.

I finally found a Farm Fresh Mint condition Sunrader that only had 60k on it and had many new upgrades exhaust; batteries, tanks and many other things where it counts. All appliances worked great and the fiberglass Shell was in mint condition; paint also. It was entombed in a closed door Barn in Mi before Dealer trade in; I pulled the trigger after some negotiations.

The sticker price the dealer had marked was 8900 and I negotiated 7500 not the best deal but finding one like this Mint this close to Michigan was in itself a challenge.

Of course the devil was in the details; found out about the 5 lug axle after the fact of purchase (Hating it). I had my mechanic go over it and disassemble wheels check bearings etc; ordered new shocks/tires and then got the call... Mech said rig was near mint and that he'd like to find something wrong with it but couldn't. The former owner had put T9 airbags in 2005 and they were holding up great; held 50 PSI overnight, brakes were mint etc.

I drove it home joined this forum then found the bad axle. Nice; guess thats what I get for "Farm Fresh"; its so original Mint it had original death Axle and never had upgrade.

Well; the thing is gonna get swapped; but now I am in the Axle oooo. I have been checking Salvage yards for Uhauls; flatbed Hilux Duallys; Pickup duallys, T 100s anything trying to find a full set up with rear wheels and front wheels and spare.

Some folks wanted very little $ but said the components were unknown condition or unknown ratio (should be 4:10 as I understand for my G292 marked setup with stock 4 banger 22RE.)

A few charlatans wanted $1500 for used setups off of Uhauls; a risky proposition as I have read posts here of failed high mileage Uhual axles.

I called Toyota and tried to bark up their tree and they handed me to a CA company that had brand new full change out setups shipped to my door for a price that was close to a Tax refund. Ouch.

At first I scoffed at this but then consider what my Mech will be up against; fabricating parts etc not being grade A good enough, brake lines rotted etc and I began to think I am Sold on the New Axle Setup...

BUT oooo NO to that price.

I have seen some folks come across these kits on ebay, parts auctions, salvage yards and closed Dealerships some cheaper than $600. does Anyone have a bead on a 6 lug setup geared at 4:10 with wheels (must be 14 on 6 x 5.5) as I bought the tires already and besides thats the best torque you will get on a 4 banger; no big wheels please.

Anyone?>

Edit one of the posts and delete everything.

When you hit the Edit button, after the editit page opens, scroll down and hit the button that says "Use Full Editor"

This will allow you to edit the title, and later, add/delete photo, etc.

Edit the title to DUPLICATE. You may need to put the word DUPLICATE in the text also.

Oh Yah - Welcome , Sorry I can't help on the axle post, BUT - I am looking for a spare wheel for my dullie if you run across any of those. :rolleyes:

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

I saw a 6 lug axle with 4 rims and tires for $600 in Reno NV listed on the toyotamotorhomes.org "classified ads" site a month ago but it is not there anymore. That could have helped you both. I guess you could keep watching that site for parts.

Update: Scored a 1987 salvaged Axle with front and rear wheel set and spare delivered to my shop for $1200 with all hardware, brakes and leaf springs included and warranty. I prolly could have done better but I figure that 1200 delivered is pretty good with gas prices on freight these days and I wont be hunting for wheels. I will probably need to locate some supporting hardware like new bearings, brake shoes and some 5 to 6 lug adaptors for the front. Does anyone know where to get the correct adaptors?

Does anyone know what part numbers or kit would be needed for Bearings and brakes?

Donor Axle: 1987 Toyota box truck 4:10 gearing dually.

Custom and Commercial Wheels has the adapters. Their in Ca. 909-357-3505

This is what you end up with.

post-18-0-10981100-1299098701_thumb.jpg

post-18-0-06697100-1299098809_thumb.jpg

post-18-0-18130000-1299098882_thumb.jpg

post-18-0-78594000-1299098901_thumb.jpg

Thanks for that number. I think I will buy one adaptor, throw it in a drawer and hope I never need it. Will run 6 Lug in the back, 5 Lug in the front with a six lug spare. This now means I now have (2) extra 6 lug wheels on the way that I can sell. COOL.

Anyone need a spare wheel(s)?

Edited by Totem

I doubt it would be cheaper; whats the adpaters cost? I havent called yet but am expecting $115 for a high quality Billet... Of course a wheel would cost $100 used. The way I see it upgradeing to 1 ton up front can wait; I have spent too much this year as it is on this thing. Will be great to revisit it. I'm not sure how putting in a new front 1 ton hubs and brakes could be cheaper than 1 adapter. Besides; riding on 2 adapters probably messes something up. I'm gonna guess that paying mech to install new front hubs and brakes would cost $300 with parts or more... I would do it myself but just had Hernia Surgery.

. Besides; riding on 2 adapters probably messes something up.

Not really the later Toys with the factory i ton front wheel have a factory installed adapter

I'm gonna guess that paying mech to install new front hubs and brakes would cost $300 with parts or more... I would do it myself but just had Hernia Surgery.

The hub stays all you change is the disc rotor, caliper and of course the adapter.

got a quote from Derek's suggested site... $365 plus $50 shipping for 2 adapters. OUCH.

found another site that lets you custom build to order at adapterkings :)

I selected:

Source Wheel: 5x114.3mm

Thickness (default 1.9 inch)

Destination wheel: 6x139.7mm

Hub Centric Bore size: 106mm (extra $15)

as spec'd was $96 delivered. SO... is this the correct dimensions fellas?>

Very interesting price. Can't help you with the required thickness, but if it's not thick enough, you could end up with interference problems with tie rods, etc. If you can't find someone to give you the thickness normally used, you'll have to calculate it after measuring the backspacing/offset of the 5 and 6-lug wheels. I've a feeling that 1.9" isn't going to be thick enough. Just for laughs, why don't you look and see if there's a big price jump if you need thicker than 1.9".

Oh, and the 6x139.7mm PCD is correct for the Toyota 4x4 but NOT for the 1-Ton axle/wheels. They're 6x7.25" (184.15mm). And they aren't (as far as I can see) hub centric.

I did a quick check on my adapters. Its covered with snow still, but it looks like the adapters are around 2.5-3" thick.

The C&C adapters have a machined lip to center the rims, this is for the 6 hole rims which use a flat faced lug nut.

The 3 hole rims use conical lug nuts and the lug nuts center the rim

My salvage Axle showed up, correct six bolt axle, correct ratio, excellent condition my Mech said... One issue though, only 3 wheels showed up and they are sending 3 more. Do these wheels just bolt together onto the 6 lug axle hub? what hardware is needed to pair a set of wheels into a dually? Also the axle had no lug nuts... are these a pain to find? will they have them at Nappa?

Now that you have the axle in front of you, check the wheel studs. Some early axles had left hand threads on one side!

Its from an 87... Should be same, could you answer on the wheel question?

Update:

To answer my own question since no one else would, yes the Dually wheels are just two back to back 6 lug wheels on the 6 lug hub that has long bolts.

Final question, standard lug nuts (mine doesnt have the "L" lugs)... can they be had at Nappa or something similar or are they also some custom diameter?

Edited by Totem

Furthermore to aid anyone going through this procedure I will add the following information Gleaned:

All toyota 6 lug 1 ton pickup axles are for Duallys. single wheels may be run on a one ton but they are designed to accomodate two on 6 lug.

Now for the final piece of the puzzle... U bolts. Mech says he can Fab them but needs a "template" as in an old rusted one. Mine was missing them of course. anyone have specs for U bolts>?

• 4 weeks later...

Update:

Found a shop that will bend custom ubolts and I have the dimensions... Shop in Jackson Mi kicked em out for 8 bucks a piece with washers and nuts. Also had spring plates fabbed for $50 with nice flared edges. Dropping $20 on shackle bushings because hey why not; they are 26 years old and shredded currently.

Decided to ditch the extra 6 lug wheels for the front and just carry a spare tire for Front 5 lug. If I run into trouble I'll call a tire shop and have them pop it if need be.

• 7 years later...
On 4/8/2011 at 6:25 AM, Totem said:

Update:

Found a shop that will bend custom ubolts and I have the dimensions... Shop in Jackson Mi kicked em out for 8 bucks a piece with washers and nuts. Also had spring plates fabbed for $50 with nice flared edges. Dropping $20 on shackle bushings because hey why not; they are 26 years old and shredded currently.

Decided to ditch the extra 6 lug wheels for the front and just carry a spare tire for Front 5 lug. If I run into trouble I'll call a tire shop and have them pop it if need be.

Hey Totem, I'm just real glad for you and the way you post.

-Neil

Holy old post... 2011. I havent been in this forum in a couple years - music to most folks ears lol.  My old sunrader is still goong strong , new motor running excellent . About to gut interior and try new floor plan