4x4 Chinook Project Pop Top

Galvanized Knight

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can sombody tell me the name of that silver insulation . Idont rember what it is called.

i know it is Roxul, ( http://www.roxul.com/home ) they use a stone wool design which provides fire resistant/ sound resistant/ water & mildew resistant. not sure the product name with the sheeting on it already, i believe he mentions more about it in the forum.

• 2 weeks later...

This last weekend I was able to get a little work done on this project.

I removed all the cabinet carcasses and vacuumed out all the tracking for the infloor heating lines.

1/2 PEX was then laid in the tracks and held down with tuck tape to prevent it from popping out.

The floor took 95' of PEX tubing.

Then a 4x10' sheet of aluminum was bend, cut and laid over the hydronic lines to keep the floor flat and to even out the temperature.

Finally the lino was laid.

The bases for the dinette placed back inside.

The last picture is of my fridge vents which will have to be shorted.

Chinookfeb1920124.jpg

Chinookfeb1920125.jpg

chinook1920122.jpg

chinook1920123.jpg

chinook1920124.jpg

Chinookfeb1920121.jpg

Can sombody tell me the name of that silver insulation . Idont rember what it is called.

The silver insulation is a product made in Quebec called AYR-FOIL model number A2A http://www.resisto.c...L/Products.aspx

A2A stands for "Aluminum – 2 layers of bubbles – Aluminum "

The walls have a single layer of A2A and Roxul

The floors and cabover will have 2 layers ( interesting enough the floor was already insulated from factory, there was a layer of honeycomb cardboard and wood ribs sandwiched between the bottom and top layer of plywood. )

It should be nice and toasty.

• 2 weeks later...

It is also called reflectix. It can be picked up at Lowes. It comes in 2' and 4' heights on rolls of 25 or 50'

In my pop up camper It gets place in between the screen window and the closed canvas to help keep heat and light out or heat in during the winter months.

GK, Why are you adding such a big sink? I'm not trying to step on your toes but I would put in a smaller sink or cut the one you have. If you were to use a small one you could add a pull out faucet for filling large pots.

Why such a big sink...? The short answer boils down to: my girlfriend wanted it. The main reasons are that I want to go off the grid with this rig for a week at a time and during that week my GF may want to wash her hair or/and feet. I agree that it is monstrous but I can always use it for storage when or if it isn't being utilized as a sink. I did buy I pull out faucet ( Danze Terazzo 063-3146-6 ) so in the summer I can snake it out the window to have a nice warm shower. If it were just me I would have gone with a much smaller sink but I am trying to make this ride comfortable for both of us.

Ah the old "If momma ain't happy, nobody is happy" scenario. :)

WME

Why such a big sink...? The short answer boils down to: my girlfriend wanted it. The main reasons are that I want to go off the grid with this rig for a week at a time and during that week my GF may want to wash her hair or/and feet. I agree that it is monstrous.

Why such a big sink...? The short answer boils down to: my girlfriend wanted it. The main reasons are that I want to go off the grid with this rig for a week at a time and during that week my GF may want to wash her hair or/and feet. I agree that it is monstrous but I can always use it for storage when or if it isn't being utilized as a sink. I did buy I pull out faucet ( Danze Terazzo 063-3146-6 ) so in the summer I can snake it out the window to have a nice warm shower. If it were just me I would have gone with a much smaller sink but I am trying to make this ride comfortable for both of us.

Girlfriend, Say no more.

Here is an idea im going to use on my tent trailer for my wife and daughter. http://www.softsmart...nentShower.html

He has two designs, one is permanent and one is portable.

Girlfriend, Say no more.

Here is an idea im going to use on my tent trailer for my wife and daughter. http://www.softsmart...nentShower.html

He has two designs, one is permanent and one is portable.

Now that is a great idear! I wish i would have seen that earlier in my planning. Defiantly want to do this with my next Chinook project.

Thanks for sharing Mike

GK

progress is lookin good. Nice workspace too. Your Chinook is lookin toasty enough for a trek to the South Pole packing only t-shirts & board shorts.

That shower link is cute. If I had use for a sink, it would be a big one like that. Seems useful at least.

• 2 weeks later...

It is looking good, thank you for the photographs.

i am wondering how you got the Roxul to adhere to the fiberglass wall?

The Roxul is not adhered to the fiberglass. There is a layer of A2A foil bubble between the outer wall and the Roxul. The Roxul was cut a little over-sized then taped into place with tuck tape to hold it before the wall panels were installed,sandwiching the insulation in place. I tried to take care that the insulation was not compressed so its R value remain in-tacked. Posts #7 & 8 have a few before panel pictures and some more information on the process,I estimate some finished R values there as well. The cavity around the windows are completely fill with spray foam. For my next Chinook project I'll likely stick to spray foam because it will make the entire shell more rigid and completely seal the camper. Spray foam does have off-gassing concerns which i have to look into further.

I hope that answers your questions.

Thanks

GK

I have had the flu for 10days now. Just getting over it so my progress has not been too great but I have some more pictures for you. I am still working on the cabinets. I have the faceplates done and the first drawer which still needs a front face.

SANY1049.jpg

SANY1052.jpg

SANY1055.jpg

SANY1057.jpg

SANY1054.jpg

The OSB on the seat is just temporarily there till the bench tops get finished.

The raw plywood edges will be finished with birch veneer tape.

Hopefully after work this week i can make a little more head way.

I want these cabinets done so I can start all the mechanical systems.

Does anyone have any good suggestions for a finish on the cabinets? I was hoping to keep the light/ bright colour of the birch plywood.

Varathane. Spelling may be incorrect, but the product works great. I used it on 2 wood slab counter tops in my house 7 years ago and they still look great. Water based too for easy clean up.

Good to see the progress, it looks awesome.

Your just about ready for another project, a Newport perhaps...

Kevin

btw, I had that flue also, it sucked!

Varathane. Spelling may be incorrect, but the product works great. I used it on 2 wood slab counter tops in my house 7 years ago and they still look great. Water based too for easy clean up.

Good to see the progress, it looks awesome.

Your just about ready for another project, a Newport perhaps...

Kevin

btw, I had that flue also, it sucked!

Kevin

I could not spell if my life depended on it. I used Varathane diamond finish about 13 years ago on a table I built and it did work great. I believe your right and I start to do a little research into Varathane. This product may be the ticket, I know its for floors but it sounds tough "varathane nano link" . Hopefully by July or August i can start my next project and I hopefully it'll be a Newport/Omega if I can find a reasonable donor. I made a sketch which posted here NEWPORT SKETCH . I am still a little slow from the flu but getting better.

Thanks

GK

for the walls, have you considered using the 1/4" wood finish panels( oak or something ) instead of the white melamine?

the one that replicates the tongue and groove. it work nicely since your putting in a stainless backsplash.

Jabberwocky

I did not consider using 1/4" oak panel. I really want white board to keep the 54 sq ft looking bright and large and wanted to stay away from the arts and craft cabin style. I agree that it would look great but i am after a simple, clean & bright look.

How is your reno progressing?

Thanks

GK

I used a Varathane floor specific product recently on the floors of a rental unit. I don't remember exactly what it was called, it may have been the nano link, it contained aluminum oxide. It looked great when the new renters moved in, we'll see how it holds up. Water based as well so easy clean up and no gnarly off-gassing.

In regards to your new project, I don't know if you got my pm or not, but I'd be willing to let my Chinook shell go for a song. PM me if your interested. If not, it'll stay in the shop until I retire...

Look forward to some more pics.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello, I recently have been looking for a custom camper shell for my 2001 tacoma 4x4 so far I am not finding what I want. then I had seen a 77' Toyota Chinook for sale & it gave me an idea and sure enough! I found you on this blog. My question for you is, is it possible or to take the Chinook cab and put it on a 2001 single cab 4x4 Tacoma? or would there be just to many mods? thanks for your input. Kelly

Lance, Interior's lookin great!

@ Transferring a Chinook to Tacoma:

The biggest obstacle will be the wheelbase. All of the Toyota campers were designed to fit on longbed frames (or even longer!). Somewhere around the late 80's, ppl stopped wanting work trucks for whatever reason and Toyota responded with extra cabs and short beds. Finding a single cab on a longbed frame is damn near impossible after 1988 (not even sure if there exists a single cab on a long wheelbase Tacoma?). I suspect that your single cab is a shortbed frame and so the Chinook's wheel wells won't line up with your rear axle if that's the case.

This will mean you'll probably have to:

1: Extend your frame between axles

2: or Modify the shell to fit your wheelbase

3: or do both

Determining your wheel base is step 1.

You should measure from rear of cab to center of rear axle.

There was a thread somewhere of a Chinook being placed on an older Tundra. Tundra/T100 actually have slightly longer cab to axle measurement than the older Toyota pickups. A single cab longbed Tundra is pretty rare too. Once again the market is now saturated with extra cabs and short beds with Toyota's full size "work truck".

All of this is of course meaningless if you have the ability/confidence to extend your frame or hack your shell to fit. The Chinook's mobility might even benefit from being a tad shorter.

• 2 weeks later...

can you list a basic parts list for building those counters and cabinets? im wanting to rebuild the interior of my chinook and i really like your new interior pieces you've built.

thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

can you list a basic parts list for building those counters and cabinets? im wanting to rebuild the interior of my chinook and i really like your new interior pieces you've built.

thanks!

Ted,

Are you looking for a cut list? The materials are 4 sheets 3/4" birch cabinet grade, glide-rite slides 18", some 3/8 ply,some 1/2 " ply, 7/8 veneer. 1 1/4 screws, 3/4 screws for the slides. My walls maybe a different thickness then stock. I can send you my sketch up drawing if you like. I used it as a guide. My cabinets have no backs or bottoms to save on weight. A Kreg pocket hole jig is key!

Thanks

GK

Finally some progress again! Work has been busy so the project has been back burner-ed. I still have intentions of finishing for the June 22nd TOY IN in Nanaimo BC. I'll be traveing from Creston BC on the 20th with my girlfriend and Also my friend James will be take his Chinook and wife. Join the convoy!

Here are some progress pictures on the Chinook. This is the double drawer underneath the sink. its notched for the plumbing.

SANY1082.JPG?psid=1

SANY1083.JPG?psid=1

SANY1084.JPG?psid=1

SANY1085.JPG?psid=1

I am trying to maximize usable space for storage so its making the drawer construction more complex. The lower drawer also is shorten because the propane storage compartment intrudes into this area from the outside.

And this is the reason I spent the time building toe kicks.

SANY1088.JPG?psid=1

Indirect LED lighting

Hello, I recently have been looking for a custom camper shell for my 2001 tacoma 4x4 so far I am not finding what I want. then I had seen a 77' Toyota Chinook for sale & it gave me an idea and sure enough! I found you on this blog. My question for you is, is it possible or to take the Chinook cab and put it on a 2001 single cab 4x4 Tacoma? or would there be just to many mods? thanks for your input. Kelly

Kelly,

Yes very possible. please check out this post where it was done with a 2001 tundra

2001 Tundra Chinook Link, Awesome Stuff

If you have questions please PM me or email thehumanelite@hotmail.com

I will be starting another project from scratch in late august and I will be documenting and posting the mounting process thoroughly since its the question I get the most often.

Thanks!

GK

GK- progress looks awesome, your interior is inspiring. took mine out for a night this last weekend, long way from finished but good to get some ideas on what i really need. to continue the thread highjack of mounting on other toyota chassis, check out 63" chevy spring swaps- super common in the offroad world. usually both spring hangers have to be moved since the spring is so much longer than stock, would be easy to position the axle just where needed and gain some payload capacity at the same time..

Love those custom notched drawers Lance! That lighting looks like a lot of fun too. Can't say I have been in any homebuilt campers with toe kicks.

The materials are 4 sheets 3/4" birch cabinet grade...
Holy crap, that equates to a 3" sheet of plywood! Those are some strong cabinets!

@Kelly and transferring a Chinook onto a Tacoma:

Again not to sound like a bummer, but a Tacoma is not a Tundra. All Tundra's/T100's were longbeds. Single cab Tacomas are short frames (and if they do make a longbed single cab it will be very difficult to find - I've never seen one). The axle to cab dimensions will need modification either via stretch frame, move axle, shell, or all. I'd be willing to bet your axle to cab dimensions are much shorter than Lance's. Not saying it can't be done, but it isn't as simple as it would be with the proper cab-to-axle starting base frame.

• 3 weeks later...

The Chinook moved ahead a little today. Its now mechanically sound for the trip to the Nananimo Toy-in. Only 3 short weeks away. Better get moving on this build.

The work done:

-New Clutch, resurface flywheel, New pilot and Through out Bearing

-New Header ( pictured below). I only did this because I could not get the donut to seal in the manifold

-Rebuilt Front Shaft ( with CV ball replaced ) and Rear drive shafts

-New rear axle seals and bearings. Diff fluid replaced.

-New alternator belt

SANY1125.jpg

I found a Chinook roll over victim that I stripped lots of nice parts from. The shell actually fared pretty well in the roll over. I got a door, windows with screens, lenses, emblems, manuals. My friend James got him self a bumper ( best shape I've ever seen one in), hood ( near mint ) and door panels. I am sure there is more to that list.

SANY1121.jpg

SANY1098.jpg

SANY1107.jpg

GK- progress looks awesome, your interior is inspiring. took mine out for a night this last weekend, long way from finished but good to get some ideas on what i really need. to continue the thread highjack of mounting on other toyota chassis, check out 63" chevy spring swaps- super common in the offroad world. usually both spring hangers have to be moved since the spring is so much longer than stock, would be easy to position the axle just where needed and gain some payload capacity at the same time..

Thanks for the great suggestion. I have started to research it.

What kind of layout are you doing in yours? do you have any drawings? I mock up a whole interior out of 2x2 and osb and tested it before starting anything permanent. Did you gut out the walls too?

GK

Love those custom notched drawers Lance! That lighting looks like a lot of fun too. Can't say I have been in any homebuilt campers with toe kicks.

Thanks bajadulce. I ve done some wood working before but this is really my first go at cabinets. I did alot of research before I got started. I cant wait to finally just enjoy it all with my girlfriend this summer and relax.