Porch Light Cover

This is on an 86 Sunrader. Right by the front door there is a recessed handle with a light bulb in the top section. This is your combination handle to get in the door and porch light. The whole thing is 5 inches wide by 9 inches tall. The upper light section is 3 3/4" wide X 3" tall X 5/8 inches deep. It has a screw hole in the bottom middle and two tabs on the top that hold it in place. The local MH part house can not find this light cover part in their catalogs. Does anyone know where to look for these?

Today we got (6) 8 ply tires and a muffler, a rather expensive day...

My Sunraders are 86 too. Seems they switched to the newer style right after this. I bought the whole unit with the newer style lens for about 35 dollars on ebay. Fits the hole of the older ones exactly.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Bargman-Lighted-Door-Assist-Handle-RV-New-/140338537913?pt=Motors_RV_Trailer_Camper_Parts_Accessories&hash=item20acd425b9

Linda S

This is on an 86 Sunrader. Right by the front door there is a recessed handle with a light bulb in the top section. This is your combination handle to get in the door and porch light. The whole thing is 5 inches wide by 9 inches tall. The upper light section is 3 3/4" wide X 3" tall X 5/8 inches deep. It has a screw hole in the bottom middle and two tabs on the top that hold it in place. The local MH part house can not find this light cover part in their catalogs. Does anyone know where to look for these?

This is the porch-lite on an 88 Dolphin. The lens was missing when I bought it, and I was able to purchase a new lens at "Deans" in Tulsa OK for about $4. I'm sure this lens is available from any of the on line web sites.

The lens is square, there are no rounded edges or curves.

The unit that Linda S. referred to in the previous post looks exactly like mine.

While I was shopping at Dean's, I recall they had several different styles and types of lens to choose from. So, look around, You should be able to find a replacement lens.

NOTE - The switch on mine is intermittent, so I purchased a replacement switch ($5), As soon as I get a warm day up here, that's on my list of things to do.

JOhn Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

post-4544-0-54488500-1296739721_thumb.jp

Yah;

Right after I bought the ToyHouse, I was concerned about being able to find replacement parts for all those little piece parts, vents, covers, electrical, switches, doors, windows, etc, etc, etc...

Don't let this be a concern, There is nothing on this ToyHouse that's unique. Everything is common to other MHs', and everything I searched for, I was able to find available from the many web site that sell RV parts.

(NOP - Wait a minute, I did find something that I could not find exact replacements for, The curtain rods and hanger hardware. I had to switch to a different style and manufacture.

While drive my new ToyHouse to its new home, I stopped at Dean's in Tulsa to see if they could fix me up with some of the items I needed now. (vent cover, roof sealant)

BIG MISTAKE. Their showroom had a gazillion parts. I went in just to look around, and wound up spending the rest of the day in Tulsa buying parts and performing preliminary fixes to the ToyHouse. (well, not really a mistake, but I did change my travel plans to take advantage of all the spare parts they had on the shelf)

JOhn Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

On our past sunrader I installed a hidden switch up under the lens cover. Wired into a 3-way switch configuration with the interior switch so that I could turn it on or off from in or out. Our gulfstream uses the more common porch light above the door, 3-wayed that also. I am considering putting one on the back and one on the other side for all around lighting when needed.

That's a great idea!! :hyper:

I was thinking of putting a small LED type light on the inside to illuminate the stairs and entry way. Maybe wire both lights togeteher so they are both controlled by 3-way switches inside and out.

Have you seen any sources for a 3-way that would fit in the existing porch lite switch mount???

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

Is this a great place or what !!! Thanks for all the tips including Linda's place to get a new one. Since yesterday was a $760 day for the Sunrader and today is a starting to rip out the floor day, the new one will have to get on the waiting list. I do already have a neat little light that lights up the entry step, right at floor level, it is hooked up with the door entry light.

That's a great idea!! :hyper:

I was thinking of putting a small LED type light on the inside to illuminate the stairs and entry way. Maybe wire both lights togeteher so they are both controlled by 3-way switches inside and out.

Have you seen any sources for a 3-way that would fit in the existing porch lite switch mount???

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

A 3-way is just a single pole double throw switch. You can buy one (actually 2) in micro size and rocker size. Here is a schematic. The hot and light hot(s) go to the center pole (blade) of the switch.

I like the led idea for the steps. My screen door has a magnetic reed switch on it because I have an alarm system. The benefit is when you open the door it also turns on the truck cab light.

fig2.gif&sa=X&ei=fUlMTfDWN5K6sQPpm8CTCg&ved=0CAQQ8wc&usg=AFQjCNENTwvpQNUhRp03y6uceMF27L_nqA

My screen door has a magnetic reed switch on it because I have an alarm system. The benefit is when you open the door it also turns on the truck cab light

You guys got to stop doing this. Every time I think I'm almost done, Along comes another great idea that I need to incorporate. :ThumbUp:

• 3 weeks later...

When I bought my 1990 Dolphin, it did not have the cover ether. I found one on ebay for just a few bucks, and it fit perfectly. The total cost including shipping was about $5.50, this was just for the plastic lens. You can buy the whole handle also. This seller was super fast and they have a lot of parts to help if you are missing anything else. http://myworld.ebay.com/ebaymotors/m_jwoz/?_trksid=p4340.l2559

Edited by SteveJ

When I bought my 1990 Dolphin, it did not have the cover ether. I found one on ebay for just a few bucks, and it fit perfectly. The total cost including shipping was about $5.50, this was just for the plastic lens. You can buy the whole handle also. This seller was super fast and they have a lot of parts to help if you are missing anything else. http://myworld.ebay....sid=p4340.l2559

Wow, I remember reading somewhere that these lenses weren't available Anywhere. Now I see otherwise.

Thanks for the link Stevej. That was the cheapest I've seen. Other rv stores are getting between $15 & $18.00, for shipping a piece of plastic that costs less than $3.00.

Have I mentioned... This Site Rocks!!!:ThumbUp:

Edited by ynkedad

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I bought and received cover from steve j 's link and never installed it. lst on my list of repairs but i wonder if i bought the newer one as well? ha

I inadvertently bought the newer style when I needed the larger, older style lens. Does anyone with the older style want to trade me?

• 3 weeks later...

I had an x-tra, universal interior ceiling light. I popped the plastic cover off and lo-and-behold--if you cut one end shorter, it fits perfectly. I used my bandsaw to trim the end and a silicon bead to secure it. It looks great, like new! BTW--If you don't have a bandsaw, any fine-toothed saw will work.

• 4 weeks later...

I ordered the complete newer version that replaced the older style, through my local RV services. Bargman #70-32-001, Chrome. Cost $32.95 plus tax, $35.75 total. Got it installed, yesterday. Fit perfectly. Thanx for the info. :)

• 2 months later...

So far in reading this whole post it seems that we can only find the newer model, the Bargman #70-32-00 which is wider than the old one and a touch shorter. Has anyone found a solution to finding the old one or it's lens? Maybe someone has a Toy on this site for parts. I'm pretty sure the new one won't fit in the old slot and I would dearly like to find an original lens.

Okay, guys. The knowledge is here in this topic but it's never become quite clear enough. SteveJ's post above really says it all. I emailed him and asked if using the new fixture, which is readily available, really worked to replace the old one.

Here is what he told me, "It fit in the hole, perfectly. It did have different mounting hole locations, so I had to drill 4 small holes for that. The original holes are covered. No big deal. Looks like original. Would do it again in a heartbeat. Make sure you've got some putty tape to seal it off. Go for it! :)"

So there you go! Use this link http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Bargman-Lighted-Door-Assist-Handle-RV-New-/140338537913?pt=Motors_RV_Trailer_Camper_Parts_Accessories&hash=item20acd425b9

to buy the new one and it will work. So cool.

I bought my Toyhouse 2 days ago thinking that it would take me forever to find everything that I need. As I cruze through this site, every minor problem that I have is talked about.

I also belong to SteveSaundersGoldwingforum and they are just like this site. It seems that as long as I stick with buying classic old equipment, I can get help. I wonder how many of the giant size RV owners stop to help each other out?

• 1 month later...

When I installed my new porch light, I put the putty tape all around, leaving a weep hole on the very bottom. This way any moisture that enters the fixture, can drain out. Love my new porch light! :)

Bob,

When I bought my Toyhouse, that was my biggest fear, This thing is 25 years old, who/ what can I goto for questions and help. Then I came across this site and the Yahoo group.

Its almost like having a service Department complete with highly trained knowledge base, at my disposal, 24/7.

Welcome, and I'm sure you'll find something that's not been covered. :-)

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

I second what that waiter fella said.

I was having the same dilema with the outside porch light- (broken cover) I didnt even think about posting up here until I get to that point, seen this thread and just ordered one off the link above- thanks.

Everybody on here is so nice. i also stumbled on this group by accident. my thanks to all you people.

Wisconsin RV Supply in Madison, WI has the old style sitting on the shelf. I was also able to find a couple of the old style window latches (single panes glass.) they have a large supply of obsolete parts that they let me go through.

Sorry about the mistake. the name of the company is Wisconsin RV World. They specialize in rentals but also have parts.

not sure if i need and old or new. it's a 1990 dolphin. the cover itself is 4.25 wide, 2 1/8 tall. there are two tabs top and bottom (the long sides). when mounted the bottom is open to the handle. now quite sure how to describe. if it were a box, and turned it open side up, the bottom has no side, the two sides and top have side than slant out from the bottom. hope that makes sense. if the measurements match up i would love to hove it. here's the picture too. wouldn't want it not to be what i can use. thanks for the offer either way, let me know.

post-5614-0-87845300-1318639616_thumb.jp