Full time RV Living ??

bullmoose

anyone out there living full time in their RV ??

Yes, for about 4 months now. I m back at home to finish moving out and to repair and paint the Dolphin. I will have pictures soon of the interior. I am also installing air bag, shocks and the bushings. Excited to get a fews inch lift!

I am in my third year of full timing and lovin it.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Any words of wisdom for full-timing it? Think in the next couple months I'm gonna head out. Through Canada and then down to the West coast. May hang out in Oregon/upper-Cali for a couple months.

Was talking to some other full timers. They were saying it pays to keep your gear pretty well organized inside the camper. I guess it can get outta control pretty quick if you don't have a system in place.. Especially in a Chinook!

Was thinking about getting a dog for the trip. But had second thoughts about that.

A dog is great company, just get a small one. I have a miniature poodle.

I am entering my fourth year full timing in a Toy. Summer in Vermont area 4 months, Fall I take 2 months getting to Texas via PA, OH and IN, winter on the Gulf Coast in Texas four months, then 2 months traveling back to Vermont via Florida and PA.

I don't know about "words of wisdom", just keep an open mind, enjoy yourself, see what works for you. Have something you are interested in for your spare time (mine is antiques, which I sell on eBay as I travel).. Let me know if you have any specific questions.

Christine

Selling antiques while you travel. That's actually a really cool idea.

My bed board can also turn into a table, so I was playing around with the idea of peddling some jewelery or trinkets on the side of the road to pull in some spare cash and just meet people generally.

A dog is great company, just get a small one. I have a miniature poodle.

I am entering my fourth year full timing in a Toy. Summer in Vermont area 4 months, Fall I take 2 months getting to Texas via PA, OH and IN, winter on the Gulf Coast in Texas four months, then 2 months traveling back to Vermont via Florida and PA.

I don't know about "words of wisdom", just keep an open mind, enjoy yourself, see what works for you. Have something you are interested in for your spare time (mine is antiques, which I sell on eBay as I travel).. Let me know if you have any specific questions.

Christine

Hi there.

This may be a stupid quiestion but..............how much money do you spend a month to "live" in your TOY.

I'm a disabled VET and only get $700.00 a month.

Thanx,

Monkey

That is like comparing oranges to apples, it all depends on the individual. I am fortunate to have a nice nestegg plus steady retirement income, so if I want it I get it. Then again, my desires are fairly simple and I am extremely thrifty (my main form of shopping is thrift stores). As for camping fees, most of the year I don't pay at all or very little by staying with friends or Federal Parks, I splurge for the winter months and rent a spot by the month somewhere warm (cost around $350/mo). With the price of gas, I don't know how far you would get with only $700/mo, you have to eat too. I spend about $2000/mo, but that includes all my bills, insurances, gifts, charity, entertainment, repairs, gas, oh, and I have expensive taste in food and eat out a lot, I hate to cook. Like I said, it all depends!

<br />Hi there.<br />This may be a stupid quiestion but..............how much money do you spend a month to "live" in your TOY.<br />I'm a disabled VET and only get $700.00 a month.<br />Thanx,<br />Monkey<br />
<br /><br /><br />

That is like comparing oranges to apples, it all depends on the individual. I am fortunate to have a nice nestegg plus steady retirement income, so if I want it I get it. Then again, my desires are fairly simple and I am extremely thrifty (my main form of shopping is thrift stores). As for camping fees, most of the year I don't pay at all or very little by staying with friends or Federal Parks, I splurge for the winter months and rent a spot by the month somewhere warm (cost around $350/mo). With the price of gas, I don't know how far you would get with only $700/mo, you have to eat too. I spend about $2000/mo, but that includes all my bills, insurances, gifts, charity, entertainment, repairs, gas, oh, and I have expensive taste in food and eat out a lot, I hate to cook. Like I said, it all depends!

<br /><br /><br />

Thanx so much. I don't require a lot.........used to be a "foody" but came to realize I wasn't really eating healthy....I've changed that. I will keep this simple as I've tired of the "rat race" and just want to live out the

rest of my life as it was supposed to be..........simple.

I appreciate your response................who knows, maybe I can make a go at this............who am I kidding, I can if I want to, right?

thanx again,

Monkey

• 3 weeks later...

I am just beginning my 4th year. How about the rest of you full timers???

• 1 month later...

How many of you full timers have your wife or companion living with you. We have about 2,000 a month to live on and wonder if that is enough for a couple. Have also considered the Workcamper route.

How many of you full timers have your wife or companion living with you. We have about 2,000 a month to live on and wonder if that is enough for a couple. Have also considered the Workcamper route.

HMMM No answers???!!, everyone must be single. The reason I ask is that we find the camper gets pretty small when she wants to set up late and I want to go to bed. Them sometimes I up before daylight and she wants to sleep. We are still working it out after 44 years.

HMMM No answers???!!, everyone must be single. The reason I ask is that we find the camper gets pretty small when she wants to set up late and I want to go to bed. Them sometimes I up before daylight and she wants to sleep. We are still working it out after 44 years.

• 2 months later...

Well, let me get back to you in a month or so. My wife and I are about to set out for a half year (or more) trip in our 1989 Sea Breeze. Never done anything like that before but we're young (40s-50s) and adaptable. I'm an early riser -she's a late sleeper. We shall see. One thing I've done already is build a convertible bed adapter that turns the over cab bed into a King! If we're going to be in the tiny tin box for 6 months, we want to sleep comfortably. I will check back in in a month with our first report.

Well I'm sooooooo happy to be back to my old ways of full-timing. Just flew back and drove my 4 cylinder auto to Oceanside, CA from Jacksonville, FL. I'll be full-timing with the exception of several day a week hotel stays that my company takes care of while I'm working in the field. It feels so good to have the camper back in my life. The poor thing just sat in storage for the last year. Good thing I used quality fuel stabilizer! New tires, belts, and an oil change and she was ready to be back in action. Made it the whole way without a problem. Plus my harbor freight solar set-up proved to be more than sufficient in the winter for all my electrical needs.

And to think I almost sold her numerous times to so many time wasting cheapskate jerks. For the price I was amost giving it away. You all missed out on one heck of a camper.

P.S. The 12v electric blankets that only draw 5 amps are the best. Picked mine up at a Flying J. Ran my battery down only about 1/3 each night.

Well, let me get back to you in a month or so. My wife and I are about to set out for a half year (or more) trip in our 1989 Sea Breeze. Never done anything like that before but we're young (40s-50s) and adaptable. I'm an early riser -she's a late sleeper. We shall see. One thing I've done already is build a convertible bed adapter that turns the over cab bed into a King! If we're going to be in the tiny tin box for 6 months, we want to sleep comfortably. I will check back in in a month with our first report.

Well we just spent about 12 days . I know that is not full time but each time we go it gets a little easier. Planning a longer trip in the not to distant future. Just resealed the roof and under the dash, replaced the circuit board in the furnace and going to add a mircrowave next. Added a small flat screen TV and a radio last summer. It don't take long to get a pile of money wraped up in it. I am now about 6500 to 7000 in now with the tires being replaced.

Sill enjoying the projects.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi: I've been thinking seriously about building a bed adaptor to turn the over cab bed into a king. I'd love to hear how you went about it. Any pictures, as well, would be great. Thanks. Wayne

• 2 weeks later...

Been living in a 84 Toyota Coachman 21 for going on 4 years now,how time flies.From Arkansas for 9 months to Southeast Alaska for 2 years,down the west coast to Florida and in 9 months to Northern Maine.

It's tight but it's home!

Been living in a 84 Toyota Coachman 21 for going on 4 years now,how time flies.From Arkansas for 9 months to Southeast Alaska for 2 years,down the west coast to Florida and in 9 months to Northern Maine.

It's tight but it's home!

Do you travel alone or do you have a companion with you. We will start living in ours sometime around May of this year if all goes well. We have put our house up for sale and must fix alot of things before it sales After that we will head out.

• 5 months later...

I have two years in my 94 Itasca, about two and a half years in a 28 ft class A, and then spent three years in the first Toyota, an 89 Sunrader. I miss my Sunrader, it was 18ft and I could park just about anywhere. I did have a permanent parking space on private property with full hookups, during this time. I was a caregiver for the property owner's mother, who lived in the house. She and her late husband had done a lot of rving, and she was happy to have me and my motorhome there. I am now out and about, parking in different places. I do have one spot in front of a friends house, that is working out well. No hookups, but I don't seem to need them. The hot weather lately has been my only complaint. I don't want to use the generator while parked there, because of the noise, so I use a 12volt fan and am parked in a shady spot. My 13 year old dog, that I have had since a puppy, is my companion. I will miss her dearly when she is gone, but will not be replacing her. I find caring for a pet quite restricting when living in an rv fulltime. I am heading to Oregon and then Washington in October. I will need to replace my air bags and add a couple more batteries. I really don't like the generator noise. My goal is to find four places that I really like, and stay in each one three or four months. I would like to avoid hot weather, so I will probably be staying near the coast during the summers. I love my Toyota and will probably be living in it for many more years.

Edited by marshie707

Im about to full time it.

Im going to portland, and then seattle area, vancouver island etc.

My goal would be a few places to move around to and a few ways to make a living in each.

I can live on just food stamps and a gym membership. essentially nothing. just stop moving around stockpile all the toiletries. what do you really need? a cell phone is nice though and some coffee money.

Im using a 24 hour fitness membership. If you get one at costco prepaid for 2 years, its 14$ a month. You can go to tons of clubs all over.

some of them there really is no parking, some you could sleep aat for a while.

I did a vw van stretch in my 20s, and honestly ive missed it ever since. Very healthy although sometimes lonely.

This RV is totally luxury in comparison. Once I get the batteries and inverter set up, Im going to get clear.com wireless and just hang out and use my computer and the gym all the time. Sounds luike heaven. and when i want to take aa trip, ill get gas money from craigslist ridesharers.

as far as 4 places, well Ive been a west coaster all my life, but the bay area, humboldt, eugene, portland, seattle and vancouver bc. cant beat all of those places. nature and urban, but those are all very nice cities. not like detroit or even la, all rich nice safe cities.