1985 Rogue info

lafuente

I don't know if you are going to find many (if any) with much knowledge about the Rogue. I believe they're few and far between. I've seen a few listed for sale on CL, also listed as the 'Rogue Ranger' (Not to be confused with the 'Ranger', see below). I downloaded the pictures from 5 I saw for sale. They appear to be pretty conventional 'stick-built' motorhomes.

There were '85s and '87s. A couple of the '85s were a rare 'bunkhouse' layout, the rest seem to be a typical 'rear bath' layout. Similar to a Dolphin 900.

Here's a few pictures of a Rogue on the 'net:-

http://www.freewebs.com/myrv/

Here's the Ranger:-

http://www.americanlisted.com/new_hampshire_29/cars_2/1983_toyota_ranger_mini_motorhome_must_sell_asap_1900_orange_ca_15518461.html

hello , i´m a new member, have sold my TOO big american clipper. can anyone tell me about the rogue ? lower end/high end ?

spec sheet/layout ? rear axle situation ? flaws ? thanks,, jane

hi, i purchased a rogue made by ranger industries at the end of august, and this is the first i've seen it mentioned here. i bought it from my mother for $500, which was a steal. she is getting old and can't really take care of it. it sat in her yard for a year and a half before i got it going. it has a 6 lug axle, and a 4 cylinder 22r engine with a 4 speed manual transmission. it looks just like some of the dolphins i've seen here and looks exactly like the one in the picture the person put a link to. i'm working on patching a badly weather damaged roof, but i drove it from the west virginia panhandle to southern illinois with no problems. it ran great. i'd like to hear more about the rogue.

post-4238-002085400 1294331798_thumb.jpg

Hi there Rogue and welcome. Sounds like you've joined and instantly become the 'resident expert'. How about posting a bunch of pictures either here or in PhotoBucket (or similar)?

Hello Derek up North. Thanks for the welcome! I've attached a photo and will post some more, as this one is not so great. It was taken just after I jump started it and pulled it out of the weeds after its long hiatus. I've got a tarp on it now due to roof work. Kind of scary being a resident expert when I'm new to RVing in general, but I'll do my best. I want to do a lot with it but have limited resources and time. I have been working on fiberglassing a very bowed and leaking roof, but have been curtailed by cold and wet weather. Some fairly serious water damage. Fixed a broken water line recently and all of the plumbing works. It has a rear bathroom with shower and small sink. Have not tried the hot water heater yet, but don't have high hopes due to the freezing of the lines while my Mom had it parked. Have since winterized it though. Furnace works, though it takes a little while to get going. Wall mounted thermostat seems to work fine. Have not tried the fridge yet, and think it may be my next project until warmer weather returns for roof work. Needs a new coach battery. Has almost 80 K miles on it, and my Mom had the head and timing chain replaced about 5 K miles ago. It runs great, and that's the real reason I decided to take it on. Ran it through the West Virginia State Inspection and had them change the oil before the 900 mile trip home. Like I said, I'll take some more pictures and get them on. I also have a lot of the literature that came with it and will look to see what could be useful here. I took the axel info with me when I went to get it with my fingers crossed and was happy to see it was the 6 lug. One of my neighbors recently purchased a Toyota Mini-Camper?, and I passed on the info to him via his wife, as I noticed it had the 5 lug axle. He is not the friendliest sort, but I hope to collaborate with him some.

I've never noticed any reference to Rogues other than '85 & '87, so it seems they weren't produced for long.

Was your Mother the original owner? Does she know anything about the axle swap. As far as I know, they were long gone by the time the recall was issued, so there was nowhere to send it to!

No, my Mother was the 2nd owner. The original owner was getting old and his wife was having health problems. She paid $4500 in 06 I believe. I have no info on the axle and she had no idea about it.

Looks as though they might have started production in '82. But only produced (perhaps) 35 units in 3 years. They must have used their own unique duallie setup, since they seem to be the only company involved in this recall.

http://www.automotix.../?year_key=1982

Bottom line is that you're lucky that it's already been changed.

BTW, Jane, where are you? How are you getting on with your Rogue? Did you buy or just looking?

• 7 years later...

Joining in on  a long ago thread! We have 1986 Rogue by Ranger. Likely it is the 87 motorhome of  the 86 chassis. We just bought her in October and renovated  with paint, flooring and various updates. We brought her to Baja California from BC Canada and on the way learned that the auto transmission was failing.  We ended up with getting it rebuilt and a big new cooler put in. So far we are back on the road and loving the freedom, flexibility and comfort as we mainly 'boondock' along the way. 

20180121_085514.jpg

Welcome to the board!  We have a 1985 Rogue with approximately 62k miles. It's a 4-speed manual with a 22RE motor.  We bought it back in 2014 and have enjoyed many fun trips up and down the Pacific coast.  Like you we have done several improvements (i.e. suspension, shocks, paint, etc.) with always more to do!  Our layout sounds the same as yours with 3/4 bath in back; couch and swivel chairs in main; kitchen area in front next to loft.  

I must say I was surprised to see this post. I thought I had seen all posts here related to our seemingly rare Toyota motorhome. If you click on our name in this reply you will be able to see some pictures of our RV and the various posts we've contributed through the years.  We hope you enjoy your new treasure and lifestyle.

Edited by Rogue Runner