New LP regulator and Hose

waiter

The original hose was leaking, the previous owner had even went as far as putting thread sealer on the fitting that mates to the tank (I'm not sure how he was able to fill the tank???) (First Photo)

Anyway, I wanted to upgrade to the new style hose connector so I can also use those cheap grill tanks as my standby.

A photo of the original system and a couple photos of the new installation. The hose is 4 ft long so I can set a tank outside and the hose will reach it.

Oh Yah, NO LEAKS :ThumbUp::ThumbUp:

WARNING - DO NOT USE BBQ TANKS ON THEIR SIDE. THEY ARE VERTICAL ONLY.

When using a BBQ tank with this setup, set it on the ground and attach the hose.

post-4544-046700900 1293846490_thumb.jpg

post-4544-061847900 1293846528_thumb.jpg

post-4544-074995900 1293846538_thumb.jpg

post-4544-078645500 1293846549_thumb.jpg

Edited by waiter

The leaks seemed to be coming from several places;

The connection to the tank (The previous owner actually placed thread sealer on the disconnect threads)

The hose fittings (where the hose is crimped onto the fitting) and a small leak in the regulator.

I also suspect the hose itself was leaking (microscopic leaks throughout the entire hose.)

Cost was about $70.

4 ft hose ($15)
290 2 stage regulator ($25)
Tank Adapter (standard left thread to ACME) ($20)
plumbing fittings ($10)

Project took about 2 hours - mostly cleaning the tank and valve mating surfaces. Outside using 409 and the threads and mating surface - I used a Battery connector wire brush to clean the threads, a green scrubby pad to get up inside and clean the mating surface.

Rinse with water and blow dry with air.

John Mc
88 Dolphin 4 Auto

• 3 months later...

John...you have the same LP tank I do...on mine, there are TWO labels, one says to fill it horizontally and the other says to fill it vertically...what does yours say ??

The original hose was leaking, the previous owner had even went as far as putting thread sealer on the fitting that mates to the tank (I'm not sure how he was able to fill the tank???) (First Photo)

Anyway, I wanted to upgrade to the new style hose connector so I can also use those cheap grill tanks as my standby.

A photo of the original system and a couple photos of the new installation. The hose is 4 ft long so I can set a tank outside and the hose will reach it.

Oh Yah, NO LEAKS :ThumbUp::ThumbUp:

When using a BBQ tank with this setup, set it on the ground and attach the hose.

This particular tank can actually be filled either way, but it will get more in it if you fill vertically. (Placement of the vent)

DO NOT USE VERTICALLY - It must be on it's side or you will get liquid propane in the system and cause a fire.

John Mc
88 Dolphin 4 Auto

• 2 months later...

I've watched several different places fill my tank, I play stupid, its not that hard to do for me. :sorcerer:

I let them do it the way they want. My tank does have the new style ACME fitting on it (permanently installed adapter)

1) Fill by weight (vertical)

I like this, because I knew exactly where they started, and how much they put in, Tank holds 20 lbs (about 4.2 lbs per gallon - 4 1/2 gallons)

2) Vertical fill by venting (open the vent and watch for liquid) )

Seem to fill correctly, but I have only seen this once, and it was early in my learning curve

3) Horizontal fill by venting

I believe this only partially filled the tank, I'm sure the tank was very low, but it only took 3 gallons I think this method fills the tank to about 3 1/2 gallons (Next time I see this I'll try and weight the tank after they fill it)

John Mc
88 Dolphin 4 Auto

• 3 years later...

Oh Yah, NO LEAKS :ThumbUp: :ThumbUp:

Having a similar issue with my tank. Would you post a list of all the items you needed to make this conversion happen? Thanks.

Oh Yah, NO LEAKS :ThumbUp: :ThumbUp:

How come you've got a horizontal-vented regulator in there with a vertical mount?