How much oil does your rig burn?

ILIA

86 22re 130,000 miles and she's been burning a solid quart every 250 miles on the highway, but close to none when driving around town. I'm curious how much oil your rig burns and for how long it has been going on for? Guess you could throw in the year, engine model, and mileage.

Personally I had to replace my cylinder head last year so it is without a doubt the rings. Also, had the exhaust system replaced recently and the new CAT still looked just as clear inside as it did the day I installed it over a year ago. So no concerns with my exhaust system. but are there any downsides that I should be aware of before hitting the road with this oil guzzling girl of my dreams? Hoping to get another year out of her before tearing the engine down. Oh, and I'm installing new fuel injectors this week!

a solid quart every 250 miles

Wow! So you stop for gas, and have to add oil...

My 89 V6 (90,000 miles) uses no oil between changes.

Check for leaks, check that the PCV setup is working and not letting pressure build in the crankcase.

My 86 doesn't need any oil with 4,500 mi oil changes.

PS When dealing with oil problems GM considers it a "problem" when a engine uses more than 1 qt/750mi.

Attached is a pic of my pistons with the head off. This was taken 10 months ago when I installed the new head. I'll look in my manual, but can you tell me where this PCV is located? I inspected everything a month back when changing the tranny pan gasket. Never saw any signs of oil dripping.

Won't upload for some reason. Figured out the PCV location and for the price I might as well replace it, but if I had too much pressure build up wouldn't I notice a leak somewhere? Or could crankcase pressure be forcing my engine to burn oil?

Do you believe that's too much oil to be burning do to bad rings?

I'd go with the advice to do a compression and leak down test. Defective parts and machine work can occur. What does "new" mean? A brand new head from Toyota? Were the valves, valve stem seals, valve guides,cam, etc. new too? Or does new mean rebuilt or remanufactured? Different places use different quality of parts and replace different things.

Anyway you look at it, your oil consumption is excessive!

22RE's are famous for the front seal leaking and they leak a lot. I guess you have checked that though that's a lot of oil. Usually if you have valve seal problems it will smoke pretty good after idling for awhile and then taking off at 250 a quart you may not notice any smoke from a ring problem. That much oil sounds like a broken or carboned up oil ring(s).

I'm gonna drop the pan and replace the gasket on this next oil change. The strange thing is that she burns almost no oil around town. I could put close to 1,000 miles on her and as long as I keep her under 50 she doesn't use any oil. Also, the CAT looked great after almost 3,000 miles and she runs great! The front seal was replaced a few years back, but I'm gonna inspect a bit closer for a suspected leak that could be occurring at higher rpms. But sadly I do as well suspect it to be the rings. Just confused because she runs so well and the plugs look good.

The head is from Japan Engine Inc. and is new with all new parts never used.

I'm gonna drop the pan and replace the gasket on this next oil change. The strange thing is that she burns almost no oil around town. I could put close to 1,000 miles on her and as long as I keep her under 50 she doesn't use any oil. Also, the CAT looked great after almost 3,000 miles and she runs great! The front seal was replaced a few years back, but I'm gonna inspect a bit closer for a suspected leak that could be occurring at higher rpms. But sadly I do as well suspect it to be the rings. Just confused because she runs so well and the plugs look good.

The head is from Japan Engine Inc. and is new with all new parts never used.

Were it me, I would not do the pan gasket or any other gasket unless it was clearly the problem. As you know, the oil is either dripping out, getting mixed with coolant or getting burned. Since it seems to happen at speed, I would drive it quickly until hot, pull off highway and immediately onto somewhere where you can see the oil drops. Even if only at speed, the oil will likely still be dripping. Heck, it could be as simple as the oil pressure sender (and this test costs nothing -- did I happen to confess that I am a cheap skate?). Then I would research what the mentioned tests check and go from there. As to Japan Engine, those are Chinese recreations of the original design. There has been some discussion of the metallurgy and their quality. The originals are good. When I replaced mine and took the head off at 114,000 there was almost no ridge. I had already gotten the engine otherwise I would have just done the head. Good luck, Kim.

Go to an automotive parts store, they will have Dye for the oil that will show up under a black light. Pour it in the oil and go for a hi way drive. Find a safe place to pull off and look under your rig with a black light, you'll know fast if its leaking.