New hot water heater advice

i'm almost ready to start the remodel but was thinking of redoing the appliances and making the big decision on them first will effect my overall design...so as i was looking at possabilities i came across these newfangled external hot water heaters that use propane to provide instant hot water and then i found someone who had used one on there RV mounted on the outside and plumbed into the coach...why not? if it increases usable space and reduces weight....has anyone here done this??? thanks all. x

What keeps the weather off of it if it's outside? Flash heaters work well but the stock heater does too they really don't use that much gas and if you leave the pilot on over night the water will be hot in the morning. Seems like a lot of expense for not much gain.

Here's an eye opener. A few weeks ago we ended our Redwood Indian Summer rally. I discovered the water heater still on last Saturday. 21 days later! Prior to that we had been on a 1 week trip where we used the water heater and a few times the furnace. And of course the stove, the oven one time and the refer. I took the Toy to work today to fill the propane tank. My inside panel gauge said 2/3 full. Its a 8 gal horizontal tank, I figured the gauge was way wrong and the tank had to be close to empty

2.7 gals is what it took to top it off

21 plus days!

I suppose if it had been heating cold water from usage it would have used more gas but still, that thing has a flame thrower for a burner

My opinion, ditch the water heater mounted on the outside idea. If you do put one on the outside consider a rocking chair on the roof for Granny and move to Beverly Hills.