4x4 Sunrader

CMooreMotors

Hi Everyone

I have just managed to buy myself a 4x4 Sunrader and rather pleased with myself. I got it through Japanese auction so havn't got all the details yet but still have a 2wd rear dinette sunrader in stock (still LHD) and recently sold a 2wd front dinette sunrader that we fitted a 3000cc turbo diesel engine and converted it to RHD for New Zealand roads. we also have just sold a Dolphin that we converted to RHD before we sold it.

Can anyone tell me what the inside head room on the 4x4 as i am over 6 foot and I am hoping it is higher the the hilux galaxy 4x4 campers.

Many thanks Cary

And for North Americans (like myself) who aren't sure what a Hilux 4x4 looks like:-

http://wa.autotrader.com.au/Automotive/Caravans/Caravans/AdNumber=TP003797597?BackToResult=true&AdOnTop=

Kind of cool looking. Sort of what a Bandit could have evolved in to. Thanks to my Google wandering, I also stumbled across this site:-

http://www.bimobil.com/

Check out the English site and the 'Pick-Up System'.

When we had our 4x4 Sunrader I eventually cut the table in half and fabricated some brackets to make it full size when needed. I bring this up because it was hard to put on your socks and shoes, no room to bend over at the table seating.

Here is a $5 question, does it have the full floating rear axle? I know of two 4x4 sunraders that have had the non-floating axle break. Ours weighed in at 6800 pounds fully loaded ( I got allot of junk) so it is a concern. The stresses applied to the rear axle flange when roaming around in the back country far exceed whats encountered on the highway. The axles break just behind the flange. Here is a link to one such break http://toyotamotorhome.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=696">http://toyotamotorhome.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=696 And here is a thread about the good and bad axle. http://toyotamotorhome.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=6 And the axle facts pdf http://www.toyotamotorhomes.com/files/Axle_FAQ.pdf . You may be aware of all this, but I post it for those who are not aware.

And for North Americans (like myself) who aren't sure what a Hilux 4x4 looks like:-

http://wa.autotrader...t=true&AdOnTop=

Kind of cool looking. Sort of what a Bandit could have evolved in to. Thanks to my Google wandering, I also stumbled across this site:-

http://www.bimobil.com/

Check out the English site and the 'Pick-Up System'.

Oh that Bimobil might go really well with a recent Taco... thinking about extending the frame on a 4 door. I wonder if the chassis/suspension could actually handle it. I wonder if they'd put their coach in a shipping container and send it to me in CA?

Sunraders are, IMHO, the best toyhouses out there, but, they ain't exactly spacious. I am 6 ft even and I must hunch over a bit to keep from rubbing my head on the roof. Have to duck considerably to clear the AC.

If headroom is what you want, take a look at Odysseys.

Congrats on your purchase. Now stop rubbing in to us yanks all the wonderful engine options we are missing out on.

I'd sell my grandma for a 3 liter turbodiesel sunrader. Doubt either them would bring much though, seeing as they've been dead nearly 20 years.

Why not throw a full floating axle and a few extra leaf springs under the Tundra ?

Tempting tempting tempting... That would be a ferocious beast to be sure, but given the modern powertrain I wonder what kind of mileage/efficiency you could get. Hmmmm... Now, where did I stash that extra $80k?

converted it to RHD for New Zealand roads.

How hard was it to convert LHD to RHD? Did you have to remove the firewall? I'd like to get one of those Japanese 4-door Hilux trucks oneday, but unless I source one for the Philippines, I'm stuck with RHD.

Thanks!

Andrew.

How hard was it to convert LHD to RHD? Did you have to remove the firewall? I'd like to get one of those Japanese 4-door Hilux trucks oneday, but unless I source one for the Philippines, I'm stuck with RHD.

Thanks!

Andrew.

Yes the firewall needs to be replaced, and de wire the whole cab, we allways use a complete vehicle for parts changeover and a very capable person to do the job.

• 1 month later...

Greg,

That thread is to a sheared stud failure, not an axle failure. Have any links to axle failures on one of the 4x4's?

fspRandy

s

When we had our 4x4 Sunrader I eventually cut the table in half and fabricated some brackets to make it full size when needed. I bring this up because it was hard to put on your socks and shoes, no room to bend over at the table seating.

Here is a $5 question, does it have the full floating rear axle? I know of two 4x4 sunraders that have had the non-floating axle break. Ours weighed in at 6800 pounds fully loaded ( I got allot of junk) so it is a concern. The stresses applied to the rear axle flange when roaming around in the back country far exceed whats encountered on the highway. The axles break just behind the flange. Here is a link to one such break http://toyotamotorhome.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=696">http://toyotamotorhome.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=696 And here is a thread about the good and bad axle. http://toyotamotorho...php?showtopic=6 And the axle facts pdf http://www.toyotamot...es/Axle_FAQ.pdf . You may be aware of all this, but I post it for those who are not aware.

Greg,

That thread is to a sheared stud failure, not an axle failure. Have any links to axle failures on one of the 4x4's?

fspRandy

s

I started the thread for deggenb who had the axle failure. There are some other guys talking about sheared studs. deggenb mentions his axle sheared off but nothing regarding the studs. The thread is more around replacement than the actual failure. You could PM him and get the actual cause of the failure. He was last active Dec 10th

• 8 months later...

We have nearly finished converting this one to RHD, it has also had a major makeover inside, new floor, wall linings, 3-way fridge, all of the top lockers are new, a 9 kg gas bottle locker and gas bottle, pure sine wave inverter, 230 volt power for NZ, next is the rear diff to be changed to a fully floating one, so I'll need to read the story behind that to find out what diff can go in there easly. Cheers Cary

• 3 months later...

We have now finished our 4x4 sunrader and we are pretty pleased. We just did a North island tour in New Zealand and she went great, no problems, plenty of power and handles a lot better at 100kph than I would have thought.

http://www.motorhomesforsale.co.nz/4x4_hilux_sunrader.htm

I am just over 6 foot high and I still have a little more than an inch clearance of headroom throughout the camper. From what everybody was saying I was sure I would need to bend down a bit but, not the case at all.

Looks very nice, bright and airy. Congratulations.

What did you do the compensate for the different rolling radii between the (I assume) 15" front & 14" rear tyres? I assume different axle ratios front & rear?

Edit: Was it hard to procure the Full Floating axle? Were they ever fitted to NZ market vehicles, or did you have to import it?

I'm not sure how you've ended up with so much headroom. Was there 2" thick shag carpet originally? :rolleyes:

2nd Edit: What the heck kind of axle is on this one? Not like anything I've ever seen anywhere else!

http://www.motorhomesforsale.co.nz/92_toyota_hilux_4wd_camper.htm

Hi again, Cary (I've go to stop thinking of you as 'Seymour').

Do you happen to have yet any details of tyre & wheel sizes and axle ratios of this one? In the pictures, the front tyres look like they're a much smaller diameter than the rear.

While I've (hopefully) got your attention, what's the function (if any) of those mysterious 'pods' on the outside of the cab doors?

post-3557-0-55102900-1325977103_thumb.jp

On Saturday, January 07, 2012 at 0:48 PM, Derek up North said:

Looks very nice, bright and airy. Congratulations.

What did you do the compensate for the different rolling radii between the (I assume) 15" front & 14" rear tyres? I assume different axle ratios front & rear?

Edit: Was it hard to procure the Full Floating axle? Were they ever fitted to NZ market vehicles, or did you have to import it?

I'm not sure how you've ended up with so much headroom. Was there 2" thick shag carpet originally? :rolleyes:

2nd Edit: What the heck kind of axle is on this one? Not like anything I've ever seen anywhere else!

Hi Derek,

Yes 15in wheels on the front and 14in on the rear, we used high profile tyres on the rear and lower profile on the front to give equal rolling diameters, diff was out of a dyna van I think BU212- it was a 3500cc with fully floating diff and did not need to be shorted but hand brake needed modifying, The headroom is great as we have been away in some of the galaxy hilux 4x4s like in your second edit link and headroom was a killer for me, bumped my head all the time but my wife loved it. the diff in the second edit link is just a normal LN106 diff but the duals are connected together with an adapter and then the adapter bolts to the axle, I'm not sure if the later model Hilux 4x4s needed the diff upgrade but we are now replacing all of them with fully floating rear ends.We still have another 88 hilux 4x4 camper with a front pop top that will be our next fixer upper, it's getting a 3000cc turbo diesel engine and going auto 4x4.

Edited by CMooreMotors
broken link

On 1/7/2012 at 5:58 PM, Derek up North said:

Hi again, Cary (I've got to stop thinking of you as 'Seymour').

Do you happen to have yet any details of tyre & wheel sizes and axle ratios of this one? In the pictures, the front tyres look like they're a much smaller diameter than the rear.

While I've (hopefully) got your attention, what's the function (if any) of those mysterious 'pods' on the outside of the cab doors?

Everyone calls me CMoore now so it doesn't matter how it's spelt, Yes that's the next project for us, I don't know why those little front tyres were on there, they are gone now, and the pods on the doors are water tanks.

Sorry no they are not ha ha, they are hollow and there for a balance in the difference in width of the front cab to the camper body. We have already started the mods on that camper, just trying to workout some type of shower door with a curve at the moment.

Cheers Cary

Hi Derek,

Yes 15in wheels on the front and 14in on the rear, we used high profile tyres on the rear and lower profile on the front to give equal rolling diameters, diff was out of a dyna van I think BU212- it was a 3500cc with fully floating diff and did not need to be shorted but hand brake needed modifying, The headroom is great as we have been away in some of the galaxy hilux 4x4s like in your second edit link and headroom was a killer for me, bumped my head all the time but my wife loved it. the diff in the second edit link is just a normal LN106 diff but the duals are connected together with an adapter and then the adapter bolts to the axle, I'm not sure if the later model Hilux 4x4s needed the diff upgrade but we are now replacing all of them with fully floating rear ends.We still have another 88 hilux 4x4 camper with a front pop top that will be our next fixer upper, it's getting a 3000cc turbo diesel engine and going auto 4x4.

Thanks for the info. Over here, there seems to be a different solution for each of the few (as you know) 4x4 Sunraders with no apparent 'ideal'. The only tires we can get here in 14" with a high enough load carrying capacity are 185R14 and 195R14 (such as the Hankook RA08 & Yokohama Y356). But there doesn't appear to be anything 'short' enough in a 15" to match the 'tallest' 14". On top of that, anything wider in a 14" would probably rub sidewalls (though I suppose you could add a spacer between rims). Could you tell me/use what your actual tire sizes are? I wonder if the rim offset on the Dyna van rims is different from the only one's we have available here, from the Hilux 1-Ton C&C?

I'm not 'up' on the names, but is the LN106 axle what would be fitted as standard to a 4x4 Hilux? The feeling over here is that this axle isn't strong enough for the loads on a motorhome.

Everyone calls me CMoore now so it dosn't matter how it's spelt, Yes thats the next project for us, I don't know why those little front tyres were on there, they are gone now, and the pods on the doors are water tanks.

Sorry no they are not ha ha, they are hollow and there for a balance in the difference in width of the front cab to the camper body. We have already started the mods on that camper, just trying to workout some type of shower door with a curve at the moment.

Cheers Cary

"You can call me anything you like, just don't call me late for dinner!"

So the pods are purely cosmetic, since I don't think we go fast enough to benefit from any aerodynamic change to the door!

Good luck on that latest one. It certainly doesn't look as though it's lead a charmed life up until now.

What sort of MPG (or l/100kn) are you getting with the 3000cc TD installed? Unfortunately, we can't get those over here. Maybe you could ship us over a container load!

Thanks for the info. Over here, there seems to be a different solution for each of the few (as you know) 4x4 Sunraders with no apparent 'ideal'. The only tires we can get here in 14" with a high enough load carrying capacity 185R14 and 195R14 (such as the Hankook RA08 & Yokohama Y356). There doesn't appear to be anything 'short' enough in a 15" to match the 'tallest' 14". On top of that, anything wider in a 14" would probably rub sidewalls (though I suppose you could add a spacer between rims). Could you tell me/use what your actual tire sizes are? I wonder if the rim offset on the Dyna van rims is different from the only one's we have available here, from the Hilux 1-Ton C&C?

I'm not 'up' on the names, but is the LN106 axle what would be fitted as standard to a 4x4 Hilux? The feeling over here is that this axle isn't strong enough for the loads on a motorhome.

the LN106 is the chassis number model and it will have the beam front axle and so the LN107 chassis number is independent front suspension, this is for the 1990s on hilux 4x4.

My feelings of the rear axles with dual rear wheels are the same but, with motorhomes with single rear wheels are ok, it's the distance from the out side of the wheel to the wheel bearing with the duals that cause the weakness.

I agree, dualies on an axle not designed for them is the problem.

So those 5 bolt rims used with the adapter are 15" diameter? Do you know what vehicle the rims are from? And a source for the adapter? If someone was inclined to give it a try.

I'm guessing that they are purpose built for these motorhomes as I do not know of any 5 stud dual wheels in 15in like those.

I do now have a complete diff wheels an adapters sitting in the workshop that i don't have plans for yet.

Cary, that's a nice looking rig. Good job on the RH conversion. Interior looks really clean too. The shell door is still on the "American side" tho so does that mean you have to get in and out of camper on "traffic side" rather than curbside? Do most campers from that part of the world have side doors on the left?

There sure seems to be a lot of different style wrap around windows? Those don't seem to have that tapered shape and appear more even in width. I like how you've painted the space between the windows black. Has a nice uniform look to it.

@ 3,000cc motor:

You swapping in a 1KZT or a 3LT? You guys have some fun options over there! :) It's possible in the states, but it's an expensive option here. Check out Toyotadiesel.com U.S site for this sort of thing. Lots of good info in your corner too I'm sure.

Cary, that's a nice looking rig. Good job on the RH conversion. Interior looks really clean too. The shell door is still on the "American side" tho so does that mean you have to get in and out of camper on "traffic side" rather than curbside? Do most campers from that part of the world have side doors on the left?

There sure seems to be a lot of different style wrap around windows? Those don't seem to have that tapered shape and appear more even in width. I like how you've painted the space between the windows black. Has a nice uniform look to it.

@ 3,000cc motor:

You swapping in a 1KZT or a 3LT? You guys have some fun options over there! :) It's possible in the states, but it's an expensive option here. Check out Toyotadiesel.com U.S site for this sort of thing. Lots of good info in your corner too I'm sure.

Yes when we park in a township we need to get in through the side door on the traffic side but wasn't as bad as we thought it would be, mostly we stopped off road or places with nearly no traffic, most of the campers we get from Japan are made for the Japanese market in America and they are LHD but the entrance door is on the left side, that is great for us after it's converted to RHD but when I saw this one come up in Jap auction the entrance door problem was minor compared to the find of a rare vehicle