How much does your rig weigh?

What do you think a 18' sunraders weight on the rear axle is with everything out of the inside, only the fiberglass shell on, 1300 lbs. axle weight? And does the 1/2 ton axle mean 1000 lbs. pay load?

Drive/drag your Toy to a set of scales. Asking on the net will only result in WAGs.

WAG....Wild A** Guess :whistling:

• 3 months later...

I have been seriously considering the purchase of a Toyota Motorhome. However when I came across this thread regarding rig weights, I have become a tad hesitant. It appears that some units are perhaps overweight with just fuel, some water, and a small propane tank. That's not mentioning the two of us, groceries, plus all the extra junk one drags onboard. My neighbour believes Toy homes are overloaded hence the suspension problems most members seem to have. Another factor is how is how do owners rate braking?

My questions are:

*How were the manufacturers able to legally sell these units when it appears they're overloaded with just people onboard.

*There are numerous Toy homes on the road, are the existing ones safe (GVW wise), factoring in the load they're probably carrying?

*Should I still be considering a Toy home, considering the fact it will probably be overloaded? :weight_lift:

We have a 91 v6 winnebego itasca 22 ft and it weighs right around the 7000 lbs. I have a 40 gal (imperial) fresh water tank, no generator or roof air ( I removed them as fresh water supply was more important to us). It has an extra leaf in rear springs and no air bags. It handles very well and the brakes are very good, even in mountains Ive never felt them inadequate, however I drive accordingly using engine brakeing, but if you have to stop fast they are very good.

My RV with 3/4 tank of gas, full fresh water tank, and about 1/4 loaded with gear (but no

passengers in it) had the following weight:

Front Left tire - 1110 lbs

Front Right tire - 930 lbs

Rear Left tire - 2430 lbs

Rear Right tire - 2140 lbs

Front axle total at 2040 lbs

Rear axle total at 4570 lbs

Total weight of 6610 lbs, add passengers and I should be about 7200 lbs.

My RV with 3/4 tank of gas, full fresh water tank, and about 1/4 loaded with gear (but no

passengers in it) had the following weight:

Front Left tire - 1110 lbs

Front Right tire - 930 lbs

Rear Left tire - 2430 lbs

Rear Right tire - 2140 lbs

Front axle total at 2040 lbs

Rear axle total at 4570 lbs

Total weight of 6610 lbs, add passengers and I should be about 7200 lbs.

At 7200 lbs. are you over the max GVW, and by how much?

Thanks YVR

Hello YVR,

I will need to check the plate (at work right now) and reply back, but if I

recall correctly, it was either 6500 or 6800lbs.

If it helps any, my Toyota has 100,000 miles on it, still the original engine

and transmission and to my knowledge neither has been rebuilt. My Toyota

is pretty much 100% original, I did put down a wood floor, but it was thin and

light weight, under 50 pounds. I have a 1990 Odyssey.

The rear leaf springs appear to be original, actually I just had to have one

leaf removed, I was starting to lean to the drivers side, but I was so high

in the rear that my air coils could not extend high enough to make the

adjustment, as a result, I had to have one leaf removed from the passenger

side. With 30lbs to 40lbs in the air coils I ride nice and level. So in short, my

suspension appears to be holding up quite well for 18 years of use under a

max (or slightly over max) load, and 100,000 miles.

From what I heard (and seen a few times first hand), it is not uncommon to

find any motorhome that is over its Gross weight. For example, my wife's

grandma had a 32 foot motorhome and they did not realize until 10 years

later that from day one it was about 1000 pounds over the Gross weight.

Last month she purchased a brand new 30 foot motorhome to replace her

old one (12 years old), the first thing she did was to have it weighed before

making the purchase, 800 pounds over the Gross weight, and it was empty.

The dealer stated in every way (except in writing) that it was okay, in the

end she made them pull the ceramic tile to lower the weight.

I am not stating that being over one's Gross weight is okay, but I am stating

that it happens often and even right off the lot, and is not isolated to Toyotas,

actually, one might find the Toyotas to be less of an offender, mainly due to

less floor space to add weight to.

If I end up being a couple hundred pounds over, I am going to be okay with it,

I know my tires can handle the weight and my suspension appears to be

handling it well, two items you need to be sure that are in top condition, not

just for Toyotas, but any motorhome.

Also, I think you will find that the Toyota motorhomes have excellent braking

power compaired to other motorhomes. I can still recall driving my wife's

grandmother's motorhome about 8 years ago, since just had the brakes

totally replaced and we had a turn coming up and I had thought I was going

to make the turn in plenty of time (was braking early...so I thought), I blew

right past the turn.

Dennis...

I am going to have to get the Sunrader weighed once I finish all of the "add-ons"

Things I have done since I purchased it

Onan 2.8 kw genset (and xfer switch)

Prosine 1.8 kw inverter (+ wiring, breakers, etc)

nice sounds (in-dash + amp & multiple speakers)

Satellite communications dish (motosat + controller, modem, router, etc)

I know all of this will add about another 300 lbs easily. Time to go back on a diet :(

I guess I should get my 1983 Encore I weighed the Owners manual that came with it says Dry weight is 4630 and they say 900 lb payload which makes a 5530 gross wt . My springs are arched not flat like the ones in the photo. on flat ground in looks like its going down hill all the time . Had the 6 lug axle done in 91 . We just took it through the Rockies and Cascade mountains . braking was no problem it has better stopping power than the Dodge motor home I had before I got this one . handles better on the road more stable has a harder ride. The best part is I can park it in about the same space as a large car. :rolleyes:

I weighed my 86 18ft Sunrader awhile back. It came in at 5200lbs with full tanks and alot of gear as I was heading out on one of my high mountain trips. I have since removed the very large non-working air-conditioner(at least 150lbs) and replaced it with a Maxfan vent. Eventually I'll remove the Kohler generator ( another 150lbs) and carry a honda eu200i (46lbs). I don't think my rig could possibly weigh much more than 46 to 48 hundred lbs

Linda S

Just thought I'd add my 2 cents, I weighed my gutted 85' 18ft. 4WD with absolutely nothing but the fiberglass shell and one seat with 1/4 tank of gas and the weight was 3,840 lbs. It'll be interesting to watch that number grow as I correct various engineering "oversights" and add cabinets etc.

My Garner sticker shows a GVWR of 4,650, Toyota sticker shows GVWR of 4,800. Go figure. An auto shipping website shows a stock 85' Toy 4x4 (not a Rader, 4 wheels) weighing about 3,415.

It's an interesting topic.

• 10 months later...

I had a conversation with a trucker who informed me that in Washington state, two Toyota motorhomes were recently towed away from the scales for being overweight. If true, there's a lot motorhomes out there that are overweight, including a lot of non Toyota's. Perhaps the law figures Toy homes are easy pickings.

YVR

I had a conversation with a trucker who informed me that in Washington state, two Toyota motorhomes were recently towed away from the scales for being overweight. If true, there's a lot motorhomes out there that are overweight, including a lot of non Toyota's. Perhaps the law figures Toy homes are easy pickings.

YVR

That sounds a bit like Urban Legend but who knows. My question would be are motorhomes required to stop at scales in Washington State and if not how did they happen to end up there? In California and I thought all states only required commercial vehicles to stop at scales but that does not include pickups. In California there are signs "NO PICKUPS". I would think towing would put more weight on the rear axle?? Angle of the dangle you know!

My motorhome all finished is 4080 LBS. with only 2400 on the rear, and thats with a 8' roof lift, full size loveseat, MTN bike, surf board, loaded down and ready to go. Rolling on 5 lug single wheels in rear. 20 mpg

• 4 weeks later...

weighed our 84 dolphin the other day at a state weigh station. 1850-front, 4450-rear, total-6300. full of gas, water, propane, food and wine. rolleyes.gif Darrel

Might as well throw in my 2 cents worth, 92 Winne v6 gen. 6000gross on door as I remember it was just under that with me out and not loaded down just looked at my springs there's still some arch.

• 2 weeks later...

One of the many nice things about traveling thru Oregon is that they leave the scales ON. Anyone can drive on and read the scale, even each tire if you want. My 21'er, with a GVWR of 5,500 (@ 28 psi) averages 2,000 on the front axle and 4,600 on the duals, in full travel mode. I see NO way to shed 1,100 lbs...I am running 45 psi on the Nokian's and 40 psi on the air bags. It handles well there.

• 2 months later...

New to the site.

Just got a mint 1982 Toyota long box 4x4 traded to me. And found a Chinook style Toyota delivery van (no overhanging above cab, cab cut though, and shelves in the back with roller style door.

Thinking about building a camper. Worried about weight GVWR is 4500lbs on the 4x4 and in Canada if they catch you over GVWR they can pull the plates and tow it. I will weigh the truck this weekend at a scale and see if I can find the weight on the other Toyota (2 wheel drive and not insurable due to being pulled for safety violations).

Great site

here is my last truck (1963 Jeep FC170 with Mercedes diesel and camper): http://bb.bc4x4.com/...t=123204&page=4

I can build light.

Anyone know what an empty Fiberglass shell weighs???

Cheers

Great site!!

Hi all,

I have been following this thread for awhile. I bought a 1993 Toyota Dolphin this last summer. :ThumbUp: Among the paperwork I received from the old owner was a comparison brochure put out by National RV. They compared the Dolphin/Sea Breeze to the Winnie Warrior/Itasca Spirit. The brochure was printed in 1991. The Dolphin was listed at #6000 GVWR. The dry weight of the Dolphin was listed at # 5010 giving you an optional payload of #990. The Winnie was listed as a dry weight of #5430. Optional payload of #660. Now the dry weight does not include the optional equipment such as generator, coach AC and awning. So those have to be subtracted from the optional payload if you have those things. Passengers also have to be deducted from the payload as well as any propane and water on board. I know water is about #8 per gallon but I don't remember the propane weight. The Dolphin water capacity is 23 gal and the Winnie is listed at 18 gal. So you have almost #200 in water in the Dolphin right off the bat. :waaa: None of these RV's, the little ones especially, have much cargo capacity at all. And they always tell you never to exceed your GVWR. :headbonk: I usually try to travel without water on board and find a place to fill up close to my destination so I can carry all the important stuff like fishing equip and wine.biggrin.gif

Anyway, I thought I'd pass this info along as none of this seems to be on the chassis anywhere that I have looked.

Happy travels,

Barb

On my last trip on the way I had my toy weighed at a public scale. 6840 lbs with out me in the seat and only a ? tank of propane. So 7000 lbs would be an average weight. More than I expected. Has anyone else weighed their rig?

Greg

1 - there is weight when dry and weight w. full tanks

2 - length also has value - are you 18'; 20'; 21.5'? some of these rigs were extended by the house manufacturer, not by toyota...

• 3 weeks later...

Question: Anyone know what an empty Fibreglass shell weighs???

---

Answer: Just weighed my 1983 Toyota 21' Sunrader undergoing rebuild as an expedition RV. It's all stock except I upgraded to a full floating one ton rear axle with dual wheels. Besides the built-in one piece fiberglass bathroom with shower it's empty while undergoing customizing. No appliances nor cabinets nor counters nor roof AC unit; empty black and grey tanks; 5 lug front wheels and a 5 lug mounted spare; 3/4 full of fuel; 1/10 ton of me. Gross vehicle weight 4700 pounds; front axle 1830; rear axle 2940.

Rich Carl

This is mildly unnerving, you know what I mean? I'd love to get my hands on the data Toyota used to come up with the 3 ton rating of the rear floater axle. At what weight does it begin to come apart? If it was 11,000 lbs, you'd see people going to 12,000 just to test it. Still, I'd love to see the data on the axle.

• 2 months later...

I just weighed my 1983 18' sunrader 2wd at a certified scale for logging trucks. A little gas, some propane, one dog, not much fresh water, no grey water, 1 ton axle. No roof a/c, no generator, no shower/toilet or blackwater tank, no spare. 4740# total. Seems OK to me.

• 2 weeks later...

Followed this thread for a bit and weighed my 1987 22' Nova Star yesterday. Fiberglass shell, aluminum framed, no roof AC or generator. Gas just under half a tank and about 1/4 tank in the grey water.

Came in at 4,400lbs. Sold my Dolphin and re-loaded all the 'stuff' into the Nova Star yesterday, so I'll be curious to see how much it weighs loaded now.

• 4 years later...

Hello Peeps :)

I'm in the UK and I'm looking to get my Dolphin transported, I have been asked what weight it is, In the UK we use ton or kg...

I've attached the sticker with info.

Mine has no water, gas, fuel, cooker, with a bit of camping stuff inside, no cushions, bedding, anything really.

I think I have worked out its GAWR: 6200 pounds = 2812.273 kg

Or GVWR 5950 pounds = 2698.875 kg

Can anyone confirm?

Dolphin, 1984, 2WD, petrol, automatic...

I'm new to Dolphins... :D

Very exciting! x

post-7790-0-84443100-1408032357_thumb.jp