Surfer needs mobile....

tdsurf

Hello all, cool site you have here, I've been shopping for RV's and started seeing the toyotas, at first I thought too small, but the more I look the more I like. Especially the 4X4's sweet Baja surf mobiles. I'm in So. Cal, and I have a couple of questions, which I'll start looking for elsewhere, but thought I could get a brief recap on them here.

1. What do you guys think of the 4 cylinder?

2. Is it true I can get 14+ mpg on most of these?

3. I plan on spending 7-9000, any certain years I should look for.

4. I know the rear axle is an issue, anything else I should make sure to loook out for?

5. How long should the engines last...I found one with 66k origiinal miles, 4 cylinder....will it hold?

6. Anybody got a sweet one of those 4X4 available in my price range in Colorado or CA.....? Or a regular Toy, I'm open to either.

Any other thoughts tips, advice, wisdom would be appreciated, I hope to buy one soon.

Thanks,

Trevor

Edited by tdsurf

1 Well as long as your going surfing and not sking the 4 cyl does just fine

2 On the coast route at 55 mph, the goal of 14mpg is very possible with a well tuned 4 cyl

3. Your budget will put you in the 87 and newer range, thats good cause then you don't need to worry about the axle thing..

4 Mold, mildew, funny smells and soft spots. Make sure ALL the apliences work or make adjustments in $$$

5 Lots of these Toys with 75,000 + mi on then, even a bunck with 100,000. Just depends on how it was cared for

Go to the Yahoo groups site there is a check list in the file section.

Good Hunting.

WME

PS 4x4s fall in the hens teeth bracket

1 Well as long as your going surfing and not sking the 4 cyl does just fine

2 On the coast route at 55 mph, the goal of 14mpg is very possible with a well tuned 4 cyl

3. Your budget will put you in the 87 and newer range, thats good cause then you don't need to worry about the axle thing..

4 Mold, mildew, funny smells and soft spots. Make sure ALL the apliences work or make adjustments in $$$

5 Lots of these Toys with 75,000 + mi on then, even a bunck with 100,000. Just depends on how it was cared for

Go to the Yahoo groups site there is a check list in the file section.

Good Hunting.

WME

PS 4x4s fall in the hens teeth bracket

Cool, thanks a bunch!

• 3 weeks later...

Hey surfer dude;

The other comments about axels, mold, soft spots, working appliances, etc all make good sense......basically keep your eyes open for generally good condition of the unit, if it looks abused and dirty, it probably wasn't cared for too well. As far as the 4-cyl goes, I've got an '83 dolphin with a 4-cyl, 4-speed, and it hauls itself around quite well......the mileage is great, but these things don't go fast.......expect to cruise down the road at about 55-60 mph. They don't exactly zoom up hills either, I took mine through the mountains from Canada to the Carolinas and back.......it did climb the hills, but I was going slow with the 4-way flashers on. But honestly I wouldn't expect much more grunt out of a 6-cyl. One thing I like about mine is it has a mech fuel pump and a carberator, which saved me once already.........my alternator died 750 miles away from home, and I had to make the trip runnung off the battery.......an impossible feat with an electric fuel pump and injection. That's just my preferance though, I like old tech stuff......it's simple.

One other thing, it seems the camper of choice is a fiberglass body sunrader, they're just a little more stout than a tin-body camper. Good luck finding a camper, I'm sure you'll have a blast with it when ya find the right one.

• 1 year later...
...Especially the 4X4's sweet Baja surf mobiles. ...Any other thoughts tips, advice, wisdom would be appreciated, I hope to buy one soon.
Get a cheap one that is mechanically sound, but has "interior" problems. Gutt the crap out of it so you have more room to hang with all the Bro's and have more storage for the necessities. You know, extra wax, leashes, peanut butter, cerveza. :watsup:

Seriously tho, sounds like you're planning on heading south of the border. And if so, it's bound to get thrashed on those 100 mile long dirt washboard roads out to the coast rubbing against cacti, 24hrs/a day salt air, no water/electricity for weeks at a time, bad gas, punctured tires, etc, etc. I know things have changed, but the OLD farts still preach the philosophy of traveling in a low key vehicle in 3rd world countries. You'll get more respect from the locals. I hate the feeling of being associated with those midwest buttwipes with their 100K rigs. The same guys that wake up the camp by starting up a generator so they can microwave their coffee just before their morning window windex ritual. :thumbdown: Ok, I'm probably a bit harsh. Point is, be a surfer not a Palm Beach retiree. Look for a "surfer's rig!" If it gets a bit thrashed... you know you've had a good trip. :hyper::ThumbUp::sorcerer:

..Ohh and your gas mileage is going to be amazing! You'll never reach 60 mph south of the border if you value your life. 10-15 miles per/hour max dirt roads.

Edit:

Crap! 2006??? Sorry Greg, I must have been reading the second page of threads. I got a bit excited reading about another toy-surfer-camper. Didn't notice how old this thread was.

Midwest Buttwipes???? Are you sure you have the correct region of the US? I think

East or West coasters is a way more accurate statement. Most of the Midwest motorhomes

are 25 to 30 foot Class Cs, not the 35 to 40 foot buses you find on the coasts.

Dennis...