What type paint should i use on new epoxied fiberglass roof?

I epoxied 12 Sq yards of 20 oz cloth to epoxied plywood roof of Shasta. Some bubbles but happy with results.My question is what should i prime new epoxy with and finish paint. Would like to use topside boat paint but dont want to part with $s for it. ANy suggs.

Suggest you contact the epoxy company. I have used System Three boatbuilders exopy for many things. Try www.systemthree.com They prefer a waterbased linear polyurethane but it is way more expensive than exterior house paint. Generally stay away from any oil-based paint over expoy but there could be exceptions. And generally you will get a very good bond using 100% acrylic latex paint. I have used this for outdoor stair handrails over two coats of exopy (the exopy was to seal the wood), and it is still good after five years. I have also used 100% acrylic latex in a deck and floor version on a picnic table restoration. After six or seven years outdoors year round this is still tight on the exopied sections but coming off where I put it on bare wood. BobBeery

• 1 month later...

fiberglas=boat, roof, rain=water, use a well known marine epoxy paint such as INTERNATIONAL 1 part EASYPOXY..or PETIT brand. both excellent paint- lightly sand with 220greit, wash with alcohol ( not from drugstore either,but from hardware stores) after washing with alsohl roll, brush or spray a tin coat of marine epoxy.........you'll love the results. I have used EASYPOXY with absolute professioal reults........a little "pricey" but remember this : YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR..

if you use EasyPoxy, be sure to buy THEIR special thinners ....it is a must for satisfaction

I epoxied 12 Sq yards of 20 oz cloth to epoxied plywood roof of Shasta. Some bubbles but happy with results.My question is what should i prime new epoxy with and finish paint. Would like to use topside boat paint but dont want to part with $s for it. ANy suggs.

You'll get fine results with ordinary exterior latex house paint. Any one-part paint advertised as epoxy is not really epoxy. Since painting your roof with anything means having to re-paint it periodically, go with easy to use latex. Be sure and paint the roof with something, though, as sunlight will degrade the epoxy particularly if you live in the southwest or Florida.

At Home Depot and Lowes in the roofing section they have a product for coating Mobile Home roofs. Its a rubberized elastomeric material that cab be brushed or rolled on. Have not used it on a mobile home or RV but I did use it on my home chimney cap. The chimney cap is galvanized sheet metal. It had developed some holes in it from creosote (wood burning stove) and rust and was leaking. Put this stuff on it two years ago, was looking at it a week ago when blowing off the roof and it still looks good! Some of the holes were 1/8 inch in size and this stuff filled them all in. Someone mentioned house paint, having been a professional painter for 20 years all I have to say about that is house paint is basically meant to be applied to vertical surfaces not horizontal where there would be standing water. There is an epoxy type paint available, meant for garage floors. Its supposed to be really tuff stuff. Not sure about its ability to flex and stretch under expansion and contraction from night and day exposure.

At Home Depot and Lowes in the roofing section they have a product for coating Mobile Home roofs. Its a rubberized elastomeric material that cab be brushed or rolled on. Have not used it on a mobile home or RV but I did use it on my home chimney cap. The chimney cap is galvanized sheet metal. It had developed some holes in it from creosote (wood burning stove) and rust and was leaking. Put this stuff on it two years ago, was looking at it a week ago when blowing off the roof and it still looks good! Some of the holes were 1/8 inch in size and this stuff filled them all in. Someone mentioned house paint, having been a professional painter for 20 years all I have to say about that is house paint is basically meant to be applied to vertical surfaces not horizontal where there would be standing water. There is an epoxy type paint available, meant for garage floors. Its supposed to be really tuff stuff. Not sure about its ability to flex and stretch under expansion and contraction from night and day exposure.

Greg,

When I mentioned using house paint on the roof of the Toyhome, it was not meant to be used as a waterproofing coating. The reason I suggested using house paint is to protect the epoxy which degrades rather quickly in direct sunlight and the fact that house paint is relatively cheap compared to two-part epoxy paint which the owner said that he didn't want to use because of the high cost. I've used regular house paint many times on the decks and cabin tops of boats. It seemed to hold up as well as anything else (and I've used them all, including two-part epoxy, linear polyurethane and oil based enamel). They all need a re-coating periodically. Your suggestion of using elastomeric roof coating is a good idea. I use it on my 1985 Dolphin and I put two coats on every Spring. Getting up there in the Spring also lets me get a good look at how the roof is doing.

Greg,

When I mentioned using house paint on the roof of the Toyhome, it was not meant to be used as a waterproofing coating. The reason I suggested using house paint is to protect the epoxy which degrades rather quickly in direct sunlight and the fact that house paint is relatively cheap compared to two-part epoxy paint which the owner said that he didn't want to use because of the high cost. I've used regular house paint many times on the decks and cabin tops of boats. It seemed to hold up as well as anything else (and I've used them all, including two-part epoxy, linear polyurethane and oil based enamel). They all need a re-coating periodically. Your suggestion of using elastomeric roof coating is a good idea. I use it on my 1985 Dolphin and I put two coats on every Spring. Getting up there in the Spring also lets me get a good look at how the roof is doing.

Has anyone looked at boat paint for this type of application? I have a section on the roof of my Sunrader where the gelcoat has deteriorated. I had been looking into restoring the gelcoat, but then came across some boat restoration sites where paint was recommended ... http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=65

The suggestion was that this paint went on with a roller or brush, flowed out nicely into a smooth finish. Sounds much easier to me than the alternative.