I always thought that the rear bearings on the full floating axle were grease packed and separated by seals from the axle oil. I had axle oil leaking out the outer hub. My mechanic says that the outer bearings are lubed by the axle oil. Clue me in.

Standard axle is splashed lubed. The 1 ton is as you thought. If you have oil coming out then the seal is shot.

Standard axle is splashed lubed. The 1 ton is as you thought. If you have oil coming out then the seal is shot.

As WME said, the 1 ton floater has a grease packed bearing assembly, not lubed from the differential gear oil, has a large seal in the rear of the hub assembly and a small seal in the spindle end that rides on the axle shaft. Just to start an argument WME, NOT!! all the standard axle rears I have seen, either 2wd or 4wd have a sealed bearing setup and the only lube they have is what they were assembled with, the axle is sealed with a grease seal at the end of the axle tube that rides on the axle shaft seal ring so no gear lube gets to the bearing or brake assembly.

Thanks. I had the rear axle repaired about 800 miles ago. I hope no damage was done by the mechanic not doing a proper installation. It's only because the end cap wasn't thoroughly sealed on one side that I discovered this.

As WME said, the 1 ton floater has a grease packed bearing assembly, not lubed from the differential gear oil, has a large seal in the rear of the hub assembly and a small seal in the spindle end that rides on the axle shaft. Just to start an argument WME, NOT!! all the standard axle rears I have seen, either 2wd or 4wd have a sealed bearing setup and the only lube they have is what they were assembled with, the axle is sealed with a grease seal at the end of the axle tube that rides on the axle shaft seal ring so no gear lube gets to the bearing or brake assembly.

The factory book I have has the standard axle seal at the outer end of the axle. " remove seal, remove bearing, install is reverse" Also it makes a big deal out of pacing the 1 ton bearings. Nothing about the standard bearring. I was just going by the book, never had a standard axle apart. :wacko:

Oh well I 'll give this one to you

The factory book I have has the standard axle seal at the outer end of the axle. " remove seal, remove bearing, install is reverse" Also it makes a big deal out of pacing the 1 ton bearings. Nothing about the standard bearring. I was just going by the book, never had a standard axle apart. :wacko:

Oh well I 'll give this one to you

Alright, I,m one up on ya, what can we hash about now "LOL" Nah, I wasn't trying to step on your toes, just trying to help out. Actually the rear axle shaft has the brake backing plate first, then the wheel bearing is pressed on and recessed into the rear of the backing plate, then a seal ring is pressed on and retained with a big C clip, the pressed on seal ring rides on the axle seal pressed into the end of the axle tube, so the sealed bearing is actually on the outer side of the axle tube and seal so no gear oil gets to it. Later WME.

Opps, forgot, just remembered there is a outer seal as such, at least they refer to it as a seal, its actually more of a rubber dust boot and goes on before the bearing, but does nothing as far as gear oil retention, its just a dust boot.

I always thought that the rear bearings on the full floating axle were grease packed and separated by seals from the axle oil. I had axle oil leaking out the outer hub. My mechanic says that the outer bearings are lubed by the axle oil. Clue me in.

Continuing saga. First I should tell you that my mechanic is very smart and has received professional training and has a lot of experience. Not that any one can't make a mistake. He said that the outer shafts are hollow which allow gear oil to get at the bearings. I spoke to three Toyota dealers and finally got one that isn't retarded. Their service supervisor said that there were Toyota full floating axles made that used both actually either/or. If I am to believe him then it is possible that I have one that is the oil immersed type.

I put a lot of credence in the people on this site as many of you have worked on these axles. I assume that no one here has seen a late model full floating axle that has oil immersed bearings.

Thanks,

George, loosing his mind in Oregon

Futar, I can't say I,ve ever heard of a hollow axle to allow gear oil through, in fact I can't imagine anyone building such a critter, an axle takes a lot of abuse and a hollow one would have to really be stout to hold up to even the minimal power output of a Toy.

All the 1 ton floaters I have ever messed with were grease packed, BUT!!! several when disassembled

showed signs of gear oil contamination, after looking it over trying to see why, it appears that even if the axle seal were leaking a small amount of gear oil into the bearing assembly, provided the hub seal and the axle shaft gasket were good and not leaking, the slurry of grease and gear oil in the bearings wouldn't hurt anything or go anywhere, but the oil level in the differential itself I don't think is enough to provide constant oil supply to the bearings. One of those things I think about but never take time to mess with, could it be possible to remove the inner seal, increase oil capacity and make it a oil lubed assembly?? would it turn out to be a oil flinging mess?? don't know but might be a good winter project to play with.

By the way, did you see the post I left, 1 ton axle info, I scanned all the axle specs from the service manual for ya.

Thanks for the input. I spoke to the Toyota factory rep and they verified that it's grease packed. I will stand my ground with the mechanic. Tomorrow I will take off the end plate on the other side. If no oil comes out then it's further proof that the mechanic is wrong. I am now worried about the whole repair he did.

Toyota wants twice as much for the service manual ($200.00) as Chevy wanted for a huge two book set on my P30 chassis. Any cheapo place to get the service manual?

Thanks for the support.

• 3 years later...

Hello Fellow Yota Rv's!

I just purchased a 1986 Sunrader with a 22 R-e. I took it to my mechanic and he has worked on toyotas for 20 plus years.

Anyway, he recommended repacking all the wheel bearings. no sign of leaks. He said with the 89,000 miles it has on it - it needs to be repacked and lubed?

Is this true?

Cheers

Jamie Anderson

rv newbie.

post-3781-12723819145735_thumb.jpeg

The small seal you are talking about in the Toyota rear is an extra seal that other rears do not use it is to keep gear oil from getting past the axle and leaking outside not to keep gear oil out of the bearings the axle tubes and bearing spindles are hollow and larger diameter then the axle is. In order to keep oil from the bearings the axle would require a machined surface and the seal would be installed inside of the axle tube witch it is not. The Toyota like every full floating rear has gear oil lubed bearings. With zero exceptions every full floating rear I have had a part over the last 40 years has had gear oil in the bearings case in point if you have grease on your brakes it came for the rear. The semi floating bearings have been sealed bearings for at least 30 years and greased for the life of the bearing exception being GM's Dana roller bearings that are lubed from the rear yes that's right rear drive Chevy's lubed with gear oil. Gear oil is probably the best lube for roller bearings long haul trucks with hundreds of thousands of miles on them have gear oil lubed bearings as do the trailers. The bearings were not contaminated by the gear oil the grease is to keep the bearing from going south until the gear oil washes the grease off.

• 1 year later...

...... The Toyota like every full floating rear has gear oil lubed bearings. ........

Maineah,

This statement is categorically false.

You should not be spreading falsehoods on this group.

It is obvious you have never disassembled nor reassembled a Toyota 1 Ton Full Floating Rear Axle.

twoblocked

Rear Axle Shaft and Axle Hub.pdf

Yeah you got it wrong here. I did the axle seals on my Nissan which is exactly the same design as the Toyota and there is a seal the axle slides into which blocks the diff fluid.

The bearings need to be removed and greased. When the axle seals are bad it doesn't just grease the bearings, it greases your brakes

LS

The small seal you are talking about in the Toyota rear is an extra seal that other rears do not use it is to keep gear oil from getting past the axle and leaking outside not to keep gear oil out of the bearings the axle tubes and bearing spindles are hollow and larger diameter then the axle is. In order to keep oil from the bearings the axle would require a machined surface and the seal would be installed inside of the axle tube witch it is not. The Toyota like every full floating rear has gear oil lubed bearings. With zero exceptions every full floating rear I have had a part over the last 40 years has had gear oil in the bearings case in point if you have grease on your brakes it came for the rear. The semi floating bearings have been sealed bearings for at least 30 years and greased for the life of the bearing exception being GM's Dana roller bearings that are lubed from the rear yes that's right rear drive Chevy's lubed with gear oil. Gear oil is probably the best lube for roller bearings long haul trucks with hundreds of thousands of miles on them have gear oil lubed bearings as do the trailers. The bearings were not contaminated by the gear oil the grease is to keep the bearing from going south until the gear oil washes the grease off.

Futar, I can't say I,ve ever heard of a hollow axle to allow gear oil through, in fact I can't imagine anyone building such a critter, an axle takes a lot of abuse and a hollow one would have to really be stout to hold up to even the minimal power output of a Toy.

your kind of correct, no toy axles are but there are "hollow" axles out there, they are called "gun drilled" 1. for weight 2. for strength..... yup, strength.

none for lubrication purposes though.

and yes, all my manuals and tech info (and experiance with quite a few) states that the rear 1 ton full floater has a seal to keep fluid out of the bearings. they are packed with greae as a typical bearing would be

Edited by MAXXFabrication