Sunrader electrical

deggenb

Our 1986 Sunrader has become part of the family depite having had some seriouse axle issues.....we have a nasty electrical problem. At a few inconvinent times our 4*4 toyota has refused to start. Last time was on a back road between Oroville and Quincy Ca.....Finally was able to get it to a Toyota dealership a $180 later. It then, peversely, started. It has an AT with a 2.2 efi engine. We have replaced battery , starter and altenator. All fuses seem intact. Lights go on in the dash, no clicking at starter, battery is charged. A mechanic friend of a friend said it could be a relay.......can anybody help!

deggenb

The switch is normally open, when you select neutral or park it closes the switch and completes the path to the starter it could just plain be bad. I don't think the automatics used a relay the sticks did because of the clutch pedal lock out.

Howdy deggenb...

Sounds like the same problem I had. Got to the point that I built a switch and wire assembly to bypass the starter circuit when it happened. Finaly had enough of the problem and started at the battery, cutting the harness open to see if I could identify a problem. What I found was a solid white feed wire with splices that were corroded with white gundge next to the battery on the passenger side.I cut out the gundge and re-spliced the feed wires. It semed to take care of the problem, but I keep the wire bypass assembly handy.Hope this helps.

John

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the help! Will wire past the starter circuit and look inside the wiring harness.

Deg

Howdy deggenb...

Sounds like the same problem I had. Got to the point that I built a switch and wire assembly to bypass the starter circuit when it happened. Finaly had enough of the problem and started at the battery, cutting the harness open to see if I could identify a problem. What I found was a solid white feed wire with splices that were corroded with white gundge next to the battery on the passenger side.I cut out the gundge and re-spliced the feed wires. It semed to take care of the problem, but I keep the wire bypass assembly handy.Hope this helps.

John