Toyota Odyssey 4x4 V6 on eBay

bufbooth

There is also one here in the classifieds. It is not the same one as the eBay ad.

http://www.toyotamotorhome.org/classifieds/viewlisting.php?view=1043

Neither appear to have a full floating axle even though the ad here says it does. The pic of the rear wheel is a dead giveaway.

That seems like a lot of camper for a single wheel setup. AND if you look at the interior, most of the heavy stuff is in the rear? This would seem to put more torque on the rear axle. This camper might be pushing the envelope right now bare bones. Add all the camping gear + the fresh water, full gray and black water tanks and you've got one heavy camper. The 4x4 transfer case will definitely make going "off the beaten path" places a tad easier, but to advertise this as an expedition vehicle might be reaching a bit.

Seems pricey and silly imho, but I have no clue as to what ppl are actually paying for old RV's. It's clean looking tho, that's for sure.

Here's a pic of another single wheel setup. This one however, uses a land cruiser axle and the overall camper is much much shorter than the one offered on Ebay. The 2 campers are worlds apart and yet I imagine the prices are probably very similar. Seems if you're going to spend over 24K, you should be getting something like this Landcruiser pictured below for your money.

toyota70camper.jpg

this unit is a 20 fter, which, I suppose qualifies it as a shorty (odysseys are usually 22ft).

also, by '90, the foolie rear axle debacle was pretty well known. i can't imagine they would have sold a unit on an axle they weren't confident with. this 4x4 axle is definitely not the 5 lug foolie type.

that being said, odysseys are tall. 4x4 odysseys are REAL tall. i would not feel very comfy rolling that thing down the interstate at 70 mph, knowing that each side had just one rear tire.

this unit is a 20 fter, which, I suppose qualifies it as a shorty (odysseys are usually 22ft).

also, by '90, the foolie rear axle debacle was pretty well known. i can't imagine they would have sold a unit on an axle they weren't confident with. this 4x4 axle is definitely not the 5 lug foolie type.

that being said, odysseys are tall. 4x4 odysseys are REAL tall. i would not feel very comfy rolling that thing down the interstate at 70 mph, knowing that each side had just one rear tire.

The 4x4's all have 6 lug wheels. I am not sure though that the rear axle is any stronger than the 5 lug on standard pickups. Its the same technology, the bearing being pressed onto the axle. Perhaps if it has some after market axles made for rock crawling. The end flexing and breakage is caused by the the dual wheels and weight so a single wheel will not flex the end nearly as much. So it may just be a question of can the bearing assembly and axle handle the weight.

Anyhow I think I know who is actually selling it. The company who has it listed on eBay and now in the classifieds here may be selling for the actual owner. If its who I think it is the seller recently got busted for selling and helping sell Toyota rvs in California without a dealers license. The glamour of the description and the high price fits that sellers past descriptions.

As a note the other 4x4 odyssey in the classifieds here has been taken down. I don't know why, perhaps it sold as it was 10 grand cheaper.

And here is a news flash. Saw a older (84 or 85) Sunrader 4x4 yesterday in Northern California in I think near Willits hwy 101 at a gas station as we whizzed past. It had single rear wheels.

The EBay 4x4 is for sale by Tika.

There's another 4x4 Odyssey up for grabs:-

http://www.corbettauctions.com/auctions/10/0925/#terms

Interestingly, the Rear Axle Code (G294) is exactly the same as on the V6 SeaBreeze parked in my driveway.

http://www.corbettauctions.com/auctions/10/0925/pictures/img-002.JPG

http://www.brian894x4.com/Gearratiosanddiffs.html

I kind of suspect that this might be the same code found on Toyota 4Runners, but I don't have one of those in the driveway to check.

The Ebay camper doesn't have a tachometer in that dash cluster? I thought all V6's had a tach?

Thnx for the Axle code/Trans link Derek. Been curious what kind of trans/transcase I have on my own vehicle.

No, the V6's didn't have a tach. The most common swap is for an SR5 cluster, but the SR5 came with a floor shifter and therefore don't have the 'gear' indicators incorporated.

The axle code info should make it easier to track down an axle with a different ratio, if you happen to be looking for one. A lot easier to glance at the doorpost than to climb under a truck.

I agree with Greg that rear is not strong enough for the camper it does not matter what it is out of there is only one bearing. I think the Four Runner and the 4X4 pickup had the same rear any way. It's the flexing that kills them because there is no bearing at the end. The bearing size is defined by the whole in the axle tube the way they make stronger axles is an increase in the radius where the hub meets the axle but it still has one bearing to support all that weight.

The Ebay camper doesn't have a tachometer in that dash cluster? I thought all V6's had a tach?

Thnx for the Axle code/Trans link Derek. Been curious what kind of trans/transcase I have on my own vehicle.

The 4 runners have the tach dash. That's where I got mine. Its almost plug and play. The oil sender has to be swapped out and there is no shift lights, you have to build those yourself. Here is the link to the project. For those interested, at 50 mph in 2nd the engine tachs at 4500 rpm. http://toyotamotorhome.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=2725&st=0&p=13253&hl=tach%20dash&fromsearch=1entry13253

That tach turned out really nice Greg. Was good read. I guess my truck must have been the deluxe model or something? (Extra cab etc) cause it came with the tach and a bunch of other fancy dash lights, like a green light that shows you're in 4low or high etc.

Finally got some wheel wells for this thing and so will have to report back at what the rpms are at higher speeds. We tried to determine what trans ratio I had by turning wheels and counting driveshaft revs, but that didn't work out too well. haha. A few ppl wanted to know what the rpms were etc. What kinds of tests should I do? 50mph in 2nd gear? That seems really fast. I probably try 50 mph in 5th gear and report back j/k, but prob not too far off. I drive like a grandma.

The EBay 4x4 is for sale by Tika.

Interesting. I was told that it is someone else selling it.

That tach turned out really nice Greg. Was good read. I guess my truck must have been the deluxe model or something? (Extra cab etc) cause it came with the tach and a bunch of other fancy dash lights, like a green light that shows you're in 4low or high etc.

Finally got some wheel wells for this thing and so will have to report back at what the rpms are at higher speeds. We tried to determine what trans ratio I had by turning wheels and counting driveshaft revs, but that didn't work out too well. haha. A few ppl wanted to know what the rpms were etc. What kinds of tests should I do? 50mph in 2nd gear? That seems really fast. I probably try 50 mph in 5th gear and report back j/k, but prob not too far off. I drive like a grandma.

Thanks

I am really happy with it. I have the 4x4 green light also and some other ones which are not used on my truck. The cluster would work perfect for a 5 speed. Here is a calculator for figuring out rpm and gear ratios etc. Once you get the prototype built when are you going to start production of the BajaRaders?

http://www.toyotamotorhomes.com/gear_ratios.htm