I have a 1987 Toyota New Horizon 22'.

When I bought her, she was already 23 years old.

One look at the carpet and you could tell it needed to be replaced!

Do I buy a new carpet or do I put in "hard wood floors?"

Well, I hate to vaccum and have two dogs to boot! So the answer became obvious.

Instead of putting in another carpet, I pulled out the old one and went down to

Home depot and bought vinyl flooring. You know the ones you snap together.

It looks like hard wood floors. It took me a few hours to install.

Okay, so it took me 6 hours ( a man could have done it in 3) to put it together but in it went.

In the rear kitchen, I choose a few vinyl square tiles and put a door strip to seperate the kitchen area from the living area.

Now I sweep and mop away to my hearts content and I don't have to worry about doggy hair or other such stuff.

Never be afraid to do something new!

Eww!:help:

Even so in reality if you have ever been off road or boondocking, seriously when do you have time to vacuum? It is easier to sweep sand and dirt out the door than it is to haul out a vaccum. I don't have any where to store one in my small space

post-4165-12831328009944_thumb.jpgpost-4165-12831328322622_thumb.jpg

Typical woman! devil.gif

A man would just open the windows and blast down the highway to get rid of dog hair. A smart one would remember to open the screens, too.

I use one of those backpack Leaf Blowers. It hangs up nicely in the closet and does a good job of getting that dogs hair loose from the carpet with its 150 mpg blast! waaa.gif

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Tressa,

I have an '89 Sunrader (21 foot) and have been thinking the same thing - ditch the carpet and put in laminate flooring. If this only took you 6 hours, I'm impressed. I'm looking at tear-out, remove 2 post mounts (table and bed support) and the toilet to get a clean look the entire aisleway (to the rear shower). I project a 3 day job. Did the flooring cut easily? Was the padding easy to work around in such a confined space? Were there any toilet issues - or is yours behind a door? I'm estimating the cost of materials to be about $100 - close? Anyway, sounds as though you did the right thing...mick222

I am in the middle of a laminate install in my rear bath odyssey. The existing OSB subfloor is very insufficient, so I screwed down 5/8 plywood. the pad and laminate are going over it. The bath is getting plywood then sheet vinyl. Laminate in a bath is not a real good idea.

Will post a pic when it's done.

• 2 weeks later...

I installed some pergo as well. the stuff is super cheap, thin, and durable! there were a few places that I put in some thin strips of wood to level it all off. and in the end, I think theres only 2 screws attaching it all down. If you get the fit right, no screws are really necessary at all!

• 5 weeks later...

This past summer I ripped out the carpet in my Coachman and installed vinyl flooring. Had some mold under the carpet so I sprayed a bleach solution on the floor and swept it out good Then sprayed KILZ over the entire floor and let it cure for 2 days before I layed down a new 1/4" underlayment. Couple that with a total step rebuild and my floor is so much better than it was with carpet. It took me about 3 weeks working on and off. Going to rebuild the overhead compartment walls this winter.