Around the Country.. Around the World...

Jerrye

My wife and I are nearing an early retirement. We both have worked in the Software business for many years, our kids are almost gone, and we are in our 40's.

Several years ago, I got laid off from a job and started 'picking' for a living, hitting garage sales, thrift stores, pawn shops, and selling my finds on ebay. I managed to pull around $40K a year doing this part time. And still do quite a bit.

As soon as our Daughter leaves for College (Next Summer), our plans are to sell our home, buy a small, inexpensive motorhome, and travel the country picking and selling on ebay. This motorhome will be our home for several years.

We are considering a Toyota. I am planning on buying a very good one, and going through it from end to end. Beefing up areas like Transmission Coolers, and heavy duty radiators, etc...

I do have questions about them though since I don't know anybody who has one. I have seen both 4cyl and 6cyl models, it would seem from my research that the 4 cyl might be a more reliable engine.

How fast can these things cruise? Is 70-75mph reasonable? What kind of gas mileage can be expected from either hte 4 or 6? Can they climb in the mountains?

I really don't like the idea if doing this is a more modern American V8 powered hog. Although, if the Toyota get horribles mileage, than that might be the way to go. I would be interested in hearing any opinions you might have to offer.

Jerry

Jerrye,

Most of the Toyota homes still on the road came with big transmission coolers and 3 row radiators. Mileage wise, expect around 14 or 15 with the 4 cyl and a little lower for the v6. If you need to cruise at 70-75 you are looking the wrong direction; big v8 gas hogs can cruise at Interstate speeds. These little rigs weigh around 6000 #s and were never meant to go fast. I usually run at 55-60. Take your time on the backroads and enjoy the ride.

Seamus McShank

Jerry,

Also, if you've never been in a toy home, you might want to consider finding one to tour. Space could be a big issue if you're planning on living in it and safely storing stuff for resale. They tend to be pretty small.

shanda

Unless you limit yourself to really small stuff to resell (Watches? Jewelry? Stamps? Diamonds?) I think you'll run out of room pretty fast. Imagine a box 2'x2'x2' (which would be difficult to store in a Toyota with all your other 'stuff') and imagine how much 'picking' you could fit in it. I suppose you could 'sacrifice' the shower in a rear bath layout and dedicate it to your 'stock'. But then you'd be looking at going to campgrounds to shower.

I'd suggest that before you sell your house to move in to a Toyota, that you first spend a 'season' in a Toyota to see how it works out!

You need to be on the lookout for a 24ft Trek, with the 4clyinder Isuzu diesel.

They will pull a 10ft trailer easily.

Don't get a Trek with the GM v8 diesel