• 2 weeks later...

The 22RE stock exhaust manifold is excellent, I'd not fool with a header.

For best performance on your motor, run 2" pipe thru a hi-flow cat and expand to a 2.25" muffler and tail. I used a Magnaflow cat and Raptor muffler I got on eBay, $75 for both to the door. Got 2" center pipe and 2.25" stainless steel flex for muffler-tail at JC Whitney. My system is much straighter with less restriction than the stock school-bus muffler and curvy waterpark slide-lookin' pipe, yet backpressure is kept at a level the 22RE really likes (that's why 2.5" is too big for that motor). When I finished this upgrade, I was astonished at the seat-o'-the pants improvement - one full gear going up grades.

Make sure your exhaust manifold gasket has no leaks. If it's the original, it may well be leaking.

The best way to get the most power from a 22RE is clean intake + no vac/gasket/exhaust leaks + exhaust + cam. I'd leave a header for last, if at all. They're great on some motors, but not a big plus on this little four banger.