Sadie and the Furry Experiment

shandamac

Reading Rader85 and Maineah's posts about successfully traveling with thier larger than average furry family members has inspired me.

We will begin with an experiment on Jul 23rd.

2 Furry family members: Roxus (80lb Basenji/Lab mix) and Gizzy (small tabby cat)

2 Not so furry family members: Gil (19 yr old rockin' daughter) and Gary (husband to arrive at some point on his Harley)

2 Nights at the Buckhorn Campground, Chickasaw NRC, Sulpher OK. With hook ups and pets allowed- 1 hour from home.

Looking forward to the adventure!

Will let you know how it turns out.

Shanda and Sadie

• 2 weeks later...

The Results:

The Drive: As I'd expected, Roxy Dog was a perfect traveler. He loved the motorhome, and sat shotgun most of the way on our 70 minute drive to the Buckhorn area. Gizzy Cat wasn't too crazy about the moving motorhome at first. She meowed and climbed up on the cabinet when we started out, but eventually hopped down and investigated her surroundings. She finally settled in the walkway area behind the cab and watched the road and passing cars from a distance.

Camping: Rox was a perfect gentleman and allowed neighboring children and puppies to greet him. He stayed outside when we were outside, and lounged under the picnic table or tested the length of his lead sniffing trees and rocks. He went walking with us and swimming with us. Once or twice he asked to go inside to visit Gizzy, because Gizzy wasn't crazy about being outside. Her happy place was in the motorhome. She lounged the whole time we were there, looking out the window now and then, but pretty much enjoying the fan, and her high perch on the top bunk or sprawled out in the middle of the floor. (Such a lazy cat.) We made sure the water bowls were always full. We'd brought Gizzy's covered litter box (tucked under the dinette sleeper), and I think this familar object made her feel even more at home. (Odor was not an issue. Even with the one cat, I use multi cat litter.)

Our first night was okay. Rox and I slept on the dinette sleeper and Gil and Gizzy slept in the cabover. Other than the caustic smell of burning styrofoam and cigarette butts from the neighbors fire (thank God, Gary with his athsma wouldn't be in until the next day) creeping in through the windows, it was pretty comfortable. (Sadie doesn't have an airconditioner, just a water cooler, and we had extra fans, so there was plenty of air movement.) In the cool of the early morning I walked the dog around the beautiful Buckhorn Campground; Whirred up some fruit smoothies in the blender; Read 2 chapters of Nick Tosches' Where Dead Voices Gather (A very cool read for a music lover- FYI Tosches is published in Rolling Stone.) Then it started getting hotter and the breeze died down. Garrette and I set up a fan on the picnic table and swapped tunes by passing the guitar back and forth. Gizzy napped in Sadie, and Rox sniffing trees and lounged. About 10 or so, we walked the dog down to Arbuckle Lake and Gil and Rox swam. Even the water was warm. We came back to camp. It was hot even under the shade canopy. I grilled some amazingly juicy chicken. The heat index had reached reached 113F. It was sweltering, and Gary called to say he would have to work till 3 and wouldn't be arriving at camp until 5 or so. Hmmm. Well, I thought the whole "experiment" thing had been a success. Roxy was a good dog. He loved traveling in Sadie and could handle being out in the wilderness, the smell of wood smoke, odd animal smells here and there, and strangers. The cat was fine with Sadie and made herself at home once she got used to moving. I imagine in no time, she'd get used to being outside (harnessed of course). We were finished. Garrette and I decided to cut our trip short due to the heat, packed up and headed back home. Happy with a full camping "experience". Arrived to an airconditioned house and the History Channel. Looking forward to cooler weather to do it again.!