Tires for 1983 Dolphin

alexandrea

Hello folks, Really could use some tire help. Bought a 1983 dolphin with only 60K miles. Great little rv, but the tires are all really bad. Had a blowout on the trip home, and bought two new tires, had them both mounted on outside rear (duels) on each side.

The problem is: I put on what the tire shop recommended for the rear 205 75 14's however, I am now being told these are trailer tires and not sufficiently load rated.

I am wanting to replace all 6 tires. I have read about the Yokohama tires and was wondering if the 195 R75 14's load range D (y356 tire) will work all the way around?

Why are the rears that are now on it different?

it currently has 195's in the front. will 195's fit the rear too?

Or do I need to go a completely different route?

Toyota has no information on it at all, and the owners manual has outmoded sizing system:

7.0 14-6PR

24 1.7 front and 36 2.5 rear

I haven't the foggiest notion what this means. Any help would be greatly apprecited !!!!

If you are going to do all 6 then go with the crowd.

185R 14 LT load rating D or in new tire speak 102-104

195 do fit the uprated axle and rims but you have to be careful with air pressure. If it gets to low the tires rub on the inside and may blow out.

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, yes, yes !!! The 185's worked perfect. No more tire rub on the front (originally had 195's front 205's rear). Ride great and feel great.

Bought the yokohama y356's from the Tire Rack online and they had them here the next day.

One note for other newbies like myself: If you buy tires online, they have a list of recommended installers. You my choose anyone you wish that will do the job. I did find the price for install to have a lot of variances. For example, one local place charged a rate if $18 a tire PLUS $3.75 ea for LT service, another $4. for metal valve stems or an additional $3 for rubber valve stems, tire disposal, etc,etc,etc. I did some checking around, drove 45 miles (it was on my way to the campground) and saved 1/2 on installation by choosing an installer that did not have a lot of up charges. I ended up paying $65 to get all six put on in Beaumont, TX, compared to $128 the local installer in Lake Charles, LA, wanted.

Happy camping.

83 Dolphin

• 1 year later...

What a great forum.

Lots of usable info.

I need to ask one more question about tires if you don't mind.

I just purchased a 1985 (1984 truck chassis) Coachmen Savanna.

Not my first MH but my first Toyota of any type.

I see the consensus is to use 185R14C tires. I will purchase 6 before any further trips as mine are all dry rotted.

I was wondering if there would be any advantage to using 195's if I can find them.

Currently the rig has 195's on the front and 225 70R's on the duals. It handled great in very heavy wind coming home 120 miles yesterday but like I said the dry rot and the fact that the duals are touching and that can't be good, is going to have me replace all tires.

Any further thoughts on the subject?

Thanks BAP

On the topic of tires, still looking for some matching wheels that are 14"s, 6 lug, and can fit over a 4x4 hub in front if anyone sees some for sale. Stockton wheels want $190 A PIECE over here in CA.!

Thx, Ken

• 2 weeks later...

I recently bought 6 new tires for my 92 warrior,the original were 185R14-LT6 RIM size 14.0X5.00 at 50psi for all 6.The new are the same size,just 8 ply instead of 6.All six tires mounted, balanced, old tire disposal,and road hazard at sears for 474.33 out the door.Tire part #09552214.

post-1399-1208231758_thumb.jpg

post-1399-1208231786_thumb.jpg

Edited by TexasToy