Exporting to Canada

Hello,<br style="text-indent: 0in !important; ">I think I may have a problem exporting a Dolphin to Canada and would dearly appreciate any comments or advice you may have on the matter.<br style="text-indent: 0in !important; "><br style="text-indent: 0in !important; ">I bought a 1987 Toyota Dolphin motorhome recently thinking that all I needed was the Recall Clearance Letter from Toyota and other relevant paperwork inorder to import it from Washington State into BC, Canada. After further research I may also need a clearance letter from National R.V. Holdings INC. But this company has recently gone bankrupt and I am not able to get hold of any company representatives despite emailing the directors.<br style="text-indent: 0in !important; ">I am currently trying to get recall clearance letters from Suburban, Dometic, and Wedgewood, the appliance manufacturers in the hope that this will be sufficient to satisfy customs and the Provincial safety inspection authority. Do you think this will suffice? Do you know of a Dolphin recall database I can refer to? I would appreciate your advice and experience on this matter.<br style="text-indent: 0in !important; "><br style="text-indent: 0in !important; ">Yours Sincerely,<br style="text-indent: 0in !important; ">Matthew Sell

I've recently imported 2 Toyota MH from the US into Quebec, and there was never any need for any recall letter from Toyota, the MH manufacturer or any appliance manufacturer. From deep in the recesses of my memory, I recall there being mention of the need for these, but I don't remember ever being asked to produce one. I've also imported a couple of other vehicles in the last few years. Could you refresh my memory as to who it is that is supposed to be requesting them? I think that MAYBE it's the RIV, in which case you're home free, since there's no involvement with them on any vehicle that's over 15 years old.

Hope this is what you wanted to hear.

Did some more digging and have determined that it is indeed the RIV that's the one looking for a 'Recall Clearance Letter'. So, as I said above, you won't be needing one, since your involvement with the RIV will be ZERO. When you get to the border and the Customs Agent is filling out the form (K-22) he'll come to a section on the vehicle age and if it's over 15 years after the date of manufacture (ALL Toyota motorhomes), he won't be checking the box that would start the RIV process (and cost!).

If you're lucky, he'll also forget to ask if it has cab A/C (AFAIK, coach air doesn't apply), and you'll save the $100 Excise Tax. On the 2 that I imported, 1 asked (:ranting2:), 1 didn't (YIPPEE!! :ThumbUp: ).

My experience is that they're too busy/lazy/unionized to bother going outside to even look at the MH, so remember to make a note of the year and month of manufacture. They've always been satisfied with the info on the Toyota sticker on the driver's door post, but if you Dolphin tag is a later year, you could give them that info if you can find it. Ideally, you want the info on the Title, Bill of Sale and date of manufacture will all be the same!! It won't hurt to have a printout of the CL ad (or EBAY auction) to show them if they want to argue about how much you paid. I've never had a problem, even when my Bill of sale was for $1000 less than the CL ad. Just said that I'd done some serious haggling (which I had).

13. IMPORTATION OF VEHICLES (15) YEARS OLD OR OLDER AND BUSES MANUFACTURED BEFORE JANUARY 1, 1971 -

Vehicles fifteen (15) years old or older, as determined by the month and year of manufacture, and buses manufactured before January 1, 1971, are no longer regulated under the Motor Vehicle Safety Act by virtue of their age. While Transport Canada does not regulate the importation of these vehicles, it does not preclude the vehicles from having to meet provincial/territorial safety and licensing requirements. Importers of such vehicles are required to complete a Vehicle Import Form 1, at the time of importation, and present proof of ownership. Also, please contact the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) for clearance requirements.

RIV List

I exported our 89 Dolphin from the US to Canada (BC) around three years ago. I did not have to go through the RIV program. I did not have to give any other recall clearance letters other than the one from Toyota. I'm not even sure if I need that... Were you told you need them?

I bring vehicles across the border quite often, it takes about 30 mins +/- at the border where they charge you gst, then you have to get a provincial inspection, then get your plates and pay pst. Not sure if the HST in BC is going to change that, prolly have to pay hst at the border. If it has airconditioning, there is an additonal $100 fee.

• 1 month later...

I'm probably a tad late in reading this and responding, but here's my experience bringing a toy home into Canada a few months ago.

Before leaving B.C. I purchased an insurance binder from ICBC, that covered me for the return journey. I believe you can also purchase the binder by phone directly with ICBC. So say your in Sacramento, you can still obtain Canadian insurance coverage. Mine worked out to about 6 bucks a day for collision and third party. I was able to purchase a temporary licence plate at the state motor vehicle office.

After purchase of the vehicle I faxed the information U.S. Customs requires to the Blaine office. This is the vehicle export documentation. Remember they want 3 business days before the vehicle can be brought across the border. However a fellow behind me got away with 2 days.

At Canada Customs I was hassled about the price I paid, Fortunately I was able to prove the amount. I then forked over 6.1% duty (because the vehicle was not manufactured under the North American Free trade act) and the GST, plus $100 for the A/C, fortunately I didn't have pay for the coach unit, although I wasn't going to remind the guy. Since HST you may have to pay the full 12% at the border. Because the toy is over 15 years old it's not part of the RIV program, thus no recall letters were requested, nor obtained. I did however have a CarFax produced, which after reading it was a complete waste of money. From the border you can use your temporary state licence plate to either go home, or to a provincial vehicle inspection facility. You do not have to have it federally inspected at Cdn tire, as that applies only to the RIV program. I put a paper plate on it for one day to take it to a local mom and pop garage that did the B.C. safety inspection for $100. In this case You are only allowed to drive the vehicle to the garage and back, no side trips are allowed. Once you have the B.C. inspection paper work you can obtain a plate and insurance, plus I paid the PST. One thing, because the vehicle had never been registered in the province the agent wanted to physically see the VIN number. So fortunately she drove a couple of kilometres to my motorhome.

I hope this isn't too late, and helps other folks contemplating an acquisition.

Edited by YVR