Water Heater Malfunction

ILIA

Not sure if this belongs in the appliance forum, so I stuck it here. Decided to fire up all of the camper luxuries today to be sure that everything was still running properly (without gas leaks). To my surprise the water heater pilot light would not cut out after shutting the unit off. Waited 3-4 minutes only to see another portion ignite at the base of the main dispenser of propane.

Have any of you experienced a similar problem? And how simple is it to reseal, or replace these units? Thanks

Have a pro look at it sounds like there is a issue with the control/thermostat unit. New ones are around $250-300

Hello,

Regarding how easy is it to replace the unit, it is actually easier than it looks. I pulled my out

to repair a cracked water pipe while out west, took less than one hour. You need to disconnect the

gas line and the two water lines (cold in, hot out). You should be able to do this from inside of

the coach by openning a base/floor cabinet door. Then from the outside you remove the dozen or so

sheet metal type screws and the entire unit should just slide out. Be sure to drain the water out

first, it makes it a lot lighter.

Regarding the pilot light not going off, it sounds like your OFF/Pilot/ON switch valve is stuck in

the open position. You may want to work it a dozen or so times and see if that helps.

Dennis...

Sounds like some good advice. Figure worst case scenario I'll pull it apart first before buying a new unit. The strange thing is that the previous owner replace it three years ago. I'll let you know how it goes.

The gas valve has some interesting valves inside and a thermocouple shut off not some thing you want to play with it's also the thermostat for the hot water.

If you decide to replace the water heater put in the electric ignition type. There is nothing like just flipping a switch inside the coach and have the water heater start up! No more lighting the pilot. And yes this should be in the appliance section. I will move it but leave a link.

Greg

I got lucky with a great previous owner. The rig already has an electric water heater installed, but I am almost never plugged in which is why the gas heater is crucial. Been away for the past few days, but I'll get to the bottom of things soon.

I got lucky with a great previous owner. The rig already has an electric water heater installed, but I am almost never plugged in which is why the gas heater is crucial. Been away for the past few days, but I'll get to the bottom of things soon.

Electric ignition means that it has a switch inside that you turn on and the water heater ignites automatically using your coach batteries 12 volt power. Gas is still the heat source. You do not have to be plugged into shore power. I have been told that there is an option for some of the water heaters to add an electric element that allows the water to be heated while connected to 120 volt shore power but I have not seen one.

Greg, you can find the 110 add on at lots of RV stores, they screw in to the hole that the drain plug lives in, then you wire them to mains power. Have seen them from $50 to $100 each, I think the thermostat just fixes on the outside of the tank, probably just a bimetalic snap switch. Have never used one, but could see how it might be nice in the Toyota when in a park.

Greg, you can find the 110 add on at lots of RV stores, they screw in to the hole that the drain plug lives in, then you wire them to mains power. Have seen them from $50 to $100 each, I think the thermostat just fixes on the outside of the tank, probably just a bimetalic snap switch. Have never used one, but could see how it might be nice in the Toyota when in a park.

Yes now my memory cells are falling into place, thanks! As a side note I replaced my thermostat because my water heater was getting to hot, 165 degrees to hot. I first used a factory replacement but it still was to hot so I went down to Home Depo and bought one for a residential WH with an adjustable setting, modified it a bit to fit and now I have hot water that will not scald me. The HD one was $9.00 and the factory one was $23.00.

• 3 weeks later...