will Toyota Odyssey fit in regular parking?

cheryle

Obviously I havent had a chance to drive my Toy yet, I want to get new tires first. They have alot of tread but I think they are 10 yrs old

anyway, do any of you park your Toy in like regular parking places, ?

I want to take some family members who have a handicap sign, so I am thinking if I park in one of those that have a large area on one side for wheel chairs etc that maybe I can park this in the regular parking places.

Thanks so much for any help. I know I need to get out there and drive it lol and test this stuff but am just slow and my brain is worrying about things that havent happened lol

I keep reading (especially in the brochures) about being able to park in a standard parking spot. Well, maybe if there's nobody in the spot on either side! I just did a bit of Googling. You (our) motorhome is as wide as the original Hummer H1 and 6' to 8' longer. You'd probably be all right in a handicapped parking spot for width, but length might still have your rear end blocking traffic. I always park way out in the back when I go to Walmart. I enjoy the exercise/walk to the front door.

I keep reading (especially in the brochures) about being able to park in a standard parking spot. Well, maybe if there's nobody in the spot on either side! I just did a bit of Googling. You (our) motorhome is as wide as the original Hummer H1 and 6' to 8' longer. You'd probably be all right in a handicapped parking spot for width, but length m9ight still having your rear end blocking traffic. I always park way out in the back when I go to Walmart. I enjoy the exercise/walk to the front door.

Thanks for your input Derek! Yes I just found some archived messages on another board that say they park in a regular parking so will just have to try it out. I can see where it could be too long and I certainly dont want to cause an accident. The handicaps have those you just pull in and out of, but are for wheel chair only so that probably isnt an option Still. I am hoping it will work as both my mom and sister are handicapped (sis is almost blind and mom is 88! ) so would have to let them out at the door and go park and I need to help them in. Arent those super cab trucks real long and park in regular spots? perhaps they are shorter. so much to learn so little time........

The current Chevy Suburban is

Length 222.4 in (5649 mm) Width 79.1 in (2009 mm)

Your Odyssey is 22'(?) long (268") and 84"-85" wide (excluding the mirrors).

Maybe the parking spots are made bigger in the US. I'll maybe measure the distance between lines next time I'm South of the border.

The current Chevy Suburban is

Length 222.4 in (5649 mm) Width 79.1 in (2009 mm)

Your Odyssey is 22'(?) long (268") and 84"-85" wide (excluding the mirrors).

Maybe the parking spots are made bigger in the US. I'll maybe measure the distance between lines next time I'm South of the border.

Hey thanks.......yeah that would be 40" or so longer in length , more than 3 feet. would maybe stick out too much. I think someone said regulation for parking spaces is 19 feet in length.

but usually will park in handicap spaces and some are wide.......hmm guess I could always take up two spaces but couldnt park in handicap as there is apost in between.........

maybe someone with an Odyssey will chime in. Yeah it is 22 feet we just measured it.

If there is an island in the parking lot or a low curb you can back in and the rear will fit over the curb and it will take up a lot less space in the parking lot just be careful there is a lot of stuff under there. I have found mine will fit in most of the bigger lots backwards. Life is too short and insurance too high to try and parallel park!

I park my 1990 Odyssey (22 feet) in regular parking spots, but only if I can back in,

which puts my bumper about 3 or 4 feet over the curb.

If you park it on the street, just be sure to check your height for trees and for

street signs (avoid whacking them with your overhead cab).

Dennis...

I often park the runt in regular width parking spaces. We easily fit between the lines. Easier if one side is unoccupied, but not difficult. You have to figure that most cars you are parking next to have Much newer paint jobs, so they will be careful. I have no problem exiting the vehicle through either door.

I try to find ones that are double length, and pull forward to the front line. Hangs into the back space, and either no one parks behind, or short cars park there. Most single length spaces are pretty much out, unless there is extra clearance behind you, or like is said above, you can hang the rear end over the curb. I have only taken out a few plants and sprinklers, and havn't yet scraped the black tank (real close, once...). Have someone watching.

But the downtown parking lots in San Francisco still charged the RV rate....

John

• 3 weeks later...

Most long bed crew cab pick ups are close to 21' particularly if they have a grille guard or winch mount bumper on them. You are no wider than a dually pick up. I even parked my crew cab dually in regular parking spots when I had the Lance camper on it making it 2' longer still. This won't work in all parking spots but in most it will. Even in the province of Alberta. I always back in large vehicles. That way you are less likely to get parked in while you are gone. It is also a safety issue. You have poor rear visibility. But if you JUST drove by the spot you want to park in you were able to scan it for obstacles. You have a clear view when you pull out and can cut the steering wheel sooner (accounting for overhang past the rear axle).

At big box stores and malls I often park a bit away and take the length of two spots - usually people leave you space but if they park beside you can still get out. In small parking lots, or those with a divider that prevents you from driving through to the next traffic lane, I typically look for two beside each other and park at an angle such that the back end is not overhanging too much (if they are really short stalls I use 3 spots). Most people understands and we do not get dirty looks (but we have if we take up four spots in the drive through type, if you follow)

cheers

PS, always a good idea to park with your motorhome door facing the store front, people, etc. to discourage thiefs, we also have an alarm system that includes the motorhome door...

• 4 weeks later...