My Airbags Have Exploded!

bestbowl

My left airbag blew on me and now I'm slanted! I cannot find airbags for this to save my life. My mechanic says he'll just take out the airbags and put in heavy duty 5000 pound springs for $1000.00 (parts & labor). I cannot imagine paying $1000.00 just to replace a little piece of popped rubber. Anyone have any ideas such as where to get some rubbers or if I should just go with the thousand dollar springs? Also if I can find these airbags what's the average/ max I should pay in labor to have them installed? And; anyone know the gross weight of the 1987 21 foot Dolphin?

Much thanks in advance. :help:

Your air bags are Firestone Ride Rite and they make a specific kit for '86-'94 Toyota dual wheel motorhomes. An entire kit can be purchased for around $300. You can "google" to find a supplier who can sell you a pair of replacement bags only and installation is not too difficult as long as you have the jacks, stands and tools. If one bag has blown I would replace both sides. If you have to pay someone to do it I would guess 3-4 hours in shop labor. I would keep the bags as you can soften the ride with lower psi or stiffen it up by filling completely to 80 psi. Your 21' Dolphin probably weighs about 6000#s.

Seamus McShank

Bestbowl Get online and go to Ebay, search "toyota motorhome firestone rite ride". Your complete kit is FIR-2115 and is listed around $250. The is also a youtube video on there that shows the installation. Good luck and keep us up to date.

Seamus McShank

My left airbag blew on me and now I'm slanted! I cannot find airbags for this to save my life. My mechanic says he'll just take out the airbags and put in heavy duty 5000 pound springs for $1000.00 (parts & labor). I cannot imagine paying $1000.00 just to replace a little piece of popped rubber. Anyone have any ideas such as where to get some rubbers or if I should just go with the thousand dollar springs? Also if I can find these airbags what's the average/ max I should pay in labor to have them installed? And; anyone know the gross weight of the 1987 21 foot Dolphin?

Much thanks in advance. help.gif

You should post a picture of your good air bag before buying the ride rite kit, let someone ID them first.

I have the Air Lift and they spec max 85 psi.

Bestbowl Get online and go to Ebay, search "toyota motorhome firestone rite ride". Your complete kit is FIR-2115 and is listed around $250. The is also a youtube video on there that shows the installation. Good luck and keep us up to date.

Seamus McShank

Thanks. Are you positive that it is not part #1130? as 2115 shows for a later year (1993+)?

Also; 2116 is shown for this year... So it's either 2115, 2116 or 1130...

If you can get a n umber from the existing bag that would be the way to go. The Ebay entry I saw said 2115 covered 86-89 and cost $278.36. Fastlaneusastore is their name. Give them a call or contact Firestone directly to see if 2115 is the right one.

Seamus McShank

If you can get a n umber from the existing bag that would be the way to go. The Ebay entry I saw said 2115 covered 86-89 and cost $278.36. Fastlaneusastore is their name. Give them a call or contact Firestone directly to see if 2115 is the right one.

Seamus McShank

Seamus McShank

I spoke with "Fastlaneusastore" and they said; "No, we don't have anything for a 1987 Toyota Dolphin." I asked him about the 2115 and he said it "may not work" and "I don't really suggest trying it."

I spoke with Firestone and they said; "We definitely do not make air bags for Toyota motorhomes." It sounded like he was talking from a legal/ liability standpoint although I cannot say for sure. He also said that "the 2115 would definitely not work..." and "don't even try to use them."

So any other ideas? Anyone actually have any experience replacing the airbags? I finally got under and read them; "Firestone Airsleeve 4Q86" or Maybe "4086".

There is no listing for either anywhere on the net including Ebay and Firestone's website.

Once again I am at a loss...

You should post a picture of your good air bag before buying the ride rite kit, let someone ID them first.

They are Firestone Airsleeve 4Q86 or possibly 4086 and are not available anywhere on the net as far as I can tell.

Are they Air Lift 57113? And what year & size is your Dolphin?

Gulfstream Greg, on 07 June 2010 - 07:02 PM, said:

Are they Air Lift 57113? And what year & size is your Dolphin?

Yes they are 57113. 1991 Gulfstream Conquest 21 foot. Note that the AirLift sits on top of the axle, not on the spring.

gallery_1_207_4295.jpg

Yes they are 57113. 1991 Gulfstream Conquest 21 foot. Note that the AirLift sits on top of the axle, not on the spring.

gallery_1_207_4295.jpg

Thanks for the photo. Looks good. I think I will order those instead of trying to deal with Firestone. DId you have to drill or do anything other than replace the original bags for those or where those what came with your rig?

Thanks for the photo. Looks good. I think I will order those instead of trying to deal with Firestone. DId you have to drill or do anything other than replace the original bags for those or where those what came with your rig?

Those are brand new bags. My rig never had them before. You have to drill 3 holes for each top bracket (6 total) that attaches to the frame. The hard part was the axle U Bolts. No way were mine going to unbolt so I had to buy new ones. They were about $16 each. And because the axle sits on top of the springs you have to support the chassis in order to lower the axle and loosen or in my case cut off the U Bolts. Its no easy job. If you have no experience with such work I would suggest having a garage do the work. It is a huge safety issue in the support of the vehicle when doing this job. On another note I believe the Firestone bags bolt onto the leaf spring and frame and do not require taking off the U Bolts. So it would be an easy install. As for which one is better I really don't know. Looking at the two in terms of suspension geometry and load support then probably the one on top of the axle is a better choice. But the Firestone probably work just as well as there really is not allot of suspension travel that would affect the geometry. Personally I did not want that load placed on the spring pack. I wanted it directly on the axle. Thats why I chose the AirLift's.

If it was me and I already had a system installed, I'd just buy replacement bags and reuse the existing brackets.

If you have the Firestone 2115 installed, it appears that the replacement bags are PN 267C1.5

Best price I see after a quick Google search is :-

http://www.thepartsbin.com/sitemap/firestone~helper_spring~parts.html

The 267C1.5 is used in a large number of kits, not just Toyotas.

If it was me and I already had a system installed, I'd just buy replacement bags and reuse the existing brackets.

If you have the Firestone 2115 installed, it appears that the replacement bags are PN 267C1.5

Best price I see after a quick Google search is :-

http://www.thepartsbin.com/sitemap/firestone~helper_spring~parts.html

The 267C1.5 is used in a large number of kits, not just Toyotas.

The originals that are now installed and popped are Firestone Airsleeve 4Q86 or possibly 4086 and are not available anywhere on the net as far as I can tell. The Firestone technician at the corporate headquarters said; "We definitely do not make air bags for Toyota motorhomes." It sounded like he was talking from a legal/ liability standpoint although I cannot say for sure. He also said that "the 2115 would definitely not work..." and "don't even try to use them."

I don't doubt that that's what you were told on the phone. However, you've got to remember that an airbag is just that, a rubber bag full of air. The rubber part is made in a limited number of sized and 'customized' with different end plates for the different mounting requirements. So, if you can find one that's the correct diameter and height with the correct mounting surfaces, you're good to go.

If you look here under 'Vehicle Guide', you'll see they have the FIR-2115 listed for the Toyota Motorhome ('86-'94). Under 'Replacement Parts' they list the bag as PN 267C1.5-6781

http://www.truckspri...-rite-2115.aspx

If you look here, you can see the mounting information for the 267C1.5-6781 (Double Convoluted):-

http://www.firestone...rsprings.shtml#

http://www.catalogra...ating_guide.pdf

Another kit # I've seen is the 1130. Not sure which bag is used there, but the application seems to be Toyota 2wd pickups and the T100 Tacoma (as well as Nissan 720 and the Mighty Max).

http://www.eautowork...yota-Pickup.htm

BTW, the 'Firestone Airsleeve' appears to be a single convolution, lighter duty bag (up to 3000lb) vs 5000lb for the Air-Ride.

http://www.firestoneindustrial.com/riderite/products/srinfo.shtml

I don't doubt that that's what you were told on the phone. However, you've got to remember that an airbag is just that, a rubber bag full of air. The rubber part is made in a limited number of sized and 'customized' with different end plates for the different mounting requirements. So, if you can find one that's the correct diameter and height with the correct mounting surfaces, you're good to go.

If you look here under 'Vehicle Guide', you'll see they have the FIR-2115 listed for the Toyota Motorhome ('86-'94). Under 'Replacement Parts' they list the bag as PN 267C1.5-6781

http://www.truckspri...-rite-2115.aspx

If you look here, you can see the mounting information for the 267C1.5-6781 (Double Convoluted):-

http://www.firestone...rsprings.shtml#

http://www.catalogra...ating_guide.pdf

Another kit # I've seen is the 1130. Not sure which bag is used there, but the application seems to be Toyota 2wd pickups and the T100 Tacoma (as well as Nissan 720 and the Mighty Max).

http://www.eautowork...yota-Pickup.htm

BTW, the 'Firestone Airsleeve' appears to be a single convolution, lighter duty bag (up to 3000lb) vs 5000lb for the Air-Ride.

http://www.firestoneindustrial.com/riderite/products/srinfo.shtml

Yes, both the Airsleeve that seems to be stock that's in there now and the Air Lift are single convolution bags. I am not sure of the weight specs on the original Airsleeve.

I think I may go with the Air Lift though...

• 1 year later...

I have a 1987 Dolphin and one of the airbags started leaking so that it had to be filled every day. I tried the fix-a-flat trick, but that just made the entire airbag disintegrate! So don't try that unless you have nothing to lose...

Anyway I started searching for replacements. My originals are the single convolution type marked Airsleeve 4Q86 or possibly 4086. I couldn't find any of the Firestone replacements listed in this thread anymore.

I was about to give up and order the Air Lift kit when I got lucky and talked to a Firestone engineer that referred me to 3-T's RV products in Lake Havasu City, AZ. 800-223-1779 / 928-453-3040. They have a Repair Kit that includes a replacement air spring, new bottom bracket, air valves and hoses for one or both sides. For both sides of my 1987 the part number was T-9E3 and was $218.50 + tax and shipping. The air bag looks close to an exact replacement for the existing one. It might even have worked with the old bottom bracket, but the new one was already attached and has an adjustable slide to keep it from shifting. Installation was straight forward since it fit right into the existing top holes and I did not have to modify anything. Just make sure you follow the instructions and don't over tighten the top bolt (I found out the hard way it strips easily.)

Happy Trails

Eg00r

Edited by Eg00r Brainstem