I'm a new owner (1985 New Horizon) and a new post-er to this site. I recently acquired my rig with 36,000 original miles and in fantastic condition; however, it is still sporting the original axle. Anyway, as I'm sure many of you know, it's tough to find anyone who knows anything at all on the topic of these recalled axles--much less where or how to find one. My local salvage yard did a search and found a one-ton axle several hundred miles from here; my local Toyota dealer parts department was essentially lost when I began to describe my situation. So my questions to you all relate to any alternatives that have been tried.

1. The full-floating axles ("one-ton") do not seem to be listed as an option for trucks in the early 80's. Now, when Toyota distributed the full-floaters for recall purposes were these specially designed units for RV's only, or were they being utilized on other, more standard Toyota vehicles as well? Is there, for instance, a different type of Toyota truck made during these years that already sport the "good" axle? And, does the full-floater I'm looking for need to be specifically for the "duallies", or will any one-ton floater work?

2. Has anyone tried retrofitting a full-floater from another auto maker (ie. GMC, Ford) onto your rig? If so, any suggestions?

3. I have researched the full-floating converstion kits. Has anyone tried this? It seems as if it would not necessarily rate the axle assembly any higher (1/2 ton to 1 ton), but may as least prevent wheels from leaving the vehicle if an axle breaks (which is, in fact, my biggest concern with the standard axle).

When Toyota shipped the replacement axle kits they came in 3 flavors. A,B,C and were for different year groups. Sorry cant remember which is what. The diff was the hardwhere, shock mounts and little things. With a little welding and swaping u-joints any axle can be easily made to fit. You need the duallies set up because of the weight of the Toy. Thats what started all the problems too.

The other foaters are huge things Dyana 60 and such like, rims and tire sizes would be a problem.

No clue about conversions

When Toyota shipped the replacement axle kits they came in 3 flavors. A,B,C and were for different year groups. Sorry cant remember which is what. The diff was the hardwhere, shock mounts and little things. With a little welding and swaping u-joints any axle can be easily made to fit. You need the duallies set up because of the weight of the Toy. Thats what started all the problems too.

The other foaters are huge things Dyana 60 and such like, rims and tire sizes would be a problem.

No clue about conversions

WME,

Thanks for the reply. I'll have to admit that I'm a bit inexperienced with the duallies. I have exclusively driven Toyota cars and trucks for the past couple decades and have taken apart, fixed, or replaced about every part there is on standard vehicles. However, these dual wheels are new to me. Do you know, is there a special axle itself for the dual wheels, or can all 4 wheels be mounted on a standard (full-floating) axle somehow? (Of course I see how it was done originally on my rig, with the wheel-mounted-to-wheel contraption, but I'm looking for something more secure--and safe).

The full floater had a special 6 bolt pattern with special offset 6bolt rims.

So if your salvage yard gets you the correct axle, make sure they get the rims (4) also

• 1 month later...

The full floater had a special 6 bolt pattern with special offset 6bolt rims.

So if your salvage yard gets you the correct axle, make sure they get the rims (4) also

Thanks for your help and advice on this. I finally have my hands on the proper full-floater! It took many hair-pulling hours of searching, but I eventually got one from a salvage yard, and they actually shipped it to my local yard (70+ miles) with no additional charge. Alas; however, someone had already scavanged the wheels off the thing! So now the search is on for the correct wheels. Does anyone happen to have the specs on the wheels?

Thanks for your help and advice on this. I finally have my hands on the proper full-floater! It took many hair-pulling hours of searching, but I eventually got one from a salvage yard, and they actually shipped it to my local yard (70+ miles) with no additional charge. Alas; however, someone had already scavanged the wheels off the thing! So now the search is on for the correct wheels. Does anyone happen to have the specs on the wheels?

Maybe this will help --last year i went Les Schwab tire looking for new tires and a rim for a spare-- the salesman,don't remember his name, made a call to california and got one for me--the only bad part was the rim was over $100.00. it was my lucky day i had already went to toyota dealers , custom wheel places ect. the tire dealder (Les Schwab) i went to is located 3235 west 5400 south Salt lake city utah 801 968 6002

• 2 weeks later...

www.stocktonwheel.com

• 9 months later...

Hi Everyone, I just got finished upgrading to a 1 ton full floater. The axle was from a 87 Nissan D21 pickup. It is very similar to the Toyota 1 ton, but you will have to get a drive shaft made and change the gear on the speedometer. (I'm still sorting that part out.) I hope this information is helpful to others that find themselves wondering what to do and cannot locate the Toyota axle. The parts for this axle can be found on Advance Auto Parts web site. Just make sure to snag the park brake cables, drive shaft, and hydraulic brake hose from the donor vehicle.

Jason