The expansion cold water to running temp should push water into the expansion tank however the next morning the radiator should be completely full theirs a leak somewhere or the caps not working right,are you sure the gauge is right. The last comment about the Converter is possible also. A friend with a honda has a similar problem with the water we pressurized it over night its the head or gasket never been fixed adds about a cup of water a week and doesn't run hot and doesn't get worse 2years ??, this does seem to be a populars subject! Ever heard the expression about keeping it simple its been used on me a few times. One note the ears where the Cap ramps down if worn will lower the pressure rating had the experience of a head being pulled to find out the was the neck on the radiator worn

• 5 months later...
  • Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Can you tell me where you found a three row radiator for the Toyota pickup?

Hi everyone,

I have had my MH for a little over a year now and I think my 22RE engine (1987 Toyota Dolphin Auto) needs some serious cooling. It is because at interstate freeway speeds (I have to try keep it up at around 60-65mph range constantly, I think driving at the 50-55mph range is just not too practical on the interstate) the engine heats up pretty quickly and soon the temp guage is reaching around 3/4 towards hot and sometimes even higher. The expansion tank keeps overflowing and the next morning there's always the need to add coolant directly to the radiator (usually around 250ml). The timing kit, head gasket, fan clutch, oil pump, water pump, thermostat, radiator (3-row) all have been replaced last year or early this year, before the replacement the temp needle will reach the top of the normal operating temp range (but never cross into red). After those parts replacements the temp will reach around 3/4 of normal operating range. I would seriously appreciate some suggestion as to how to practically lower the engine temp and thus at least the coolant won't be so hot it overflows the expansion tank.

Thanks for your help.

Thanks for everybody's response and reply. I haven't been active on this thread for sometime now because I am in the process of moving. During my Xmas - New Year holiday I drove my Dolphin all the way from Vancouver BC down to Mexico (Albeit I only went to Baja California: Mainly San Felipe and Ensenada. Again, temperature's on the high side when traveling around 60mph, need to add a little bit of coolant every morning, still see some coolant spills out when the temp is on the high side (like you have been traveling at around 60mph for a while and stops for gas, you don't see the coolant actually spilling out but the coolant in the expansion tank (reservoir) is at the very top and at the end of the expansion tank tube you see evidence of some coolant has spilled out. But other than that, everything is fine and there has been no other problem, and I made it home safely.

I include a couple pictures here, the coastline of San Felipe and the coastline of the "blow hole" near Ensenada.

post-2730-0-72649000-1301378071_thumb.jp

post-2730-0-28275200-1301378185_thumb.jp

• 4 weeks later...

I know a few of you have been following this post and I have just discovered something.

Thinking of trying to increase my MH's performance I took the advice of my friend and mechanic to change the 4 fuel injectors. I did that after my Mexico trip. I didn't do anything else apart from changing the injectors (Apart from the fact I need also to change the intake plenum gasket for the injectors change). I used Pacer brand fuel injectors.

I just had a 600+ miles trip to Portland, Oregon this past Easter Weekend, the first time I use my MH after Christmas.

Acceleration has been increased slightly and the top vehicle speed has been increased by a few more MPH as well. What surprises me is the coolant temp went down as well. Now even if I run the car up at 65+ mph range the needle would go up to 2/3 of the normal range, which really surprises me.

I do not yet know why changing the fuel injectors might affect coolant temperature. I cannot say for certain this will help those of you having similar problem with me. I can only report what I have seen. Good luck.

From my Aviation experience - Piston Aircraft - The pilot can adjustment the mixture to optimize for performance, power, economy, and cooling.

poor mixture control could easily cause high temperatures (to lean) and less power (too lean or to rich)

Electronic FI (automotive) optimizes to burnt O2, (when in closed loop)

A nice thing about Fuel Injection vs Carbaurated - With Carbs, the fuel/air mixture to each cylinder can vary fairly significantly. With FI, the mixture to each cylinder is almost exact and balanced. This is one of the reasons why FI outperforms Carb.

If you had injectors not producing good spray patterns, or worn seats (spraying more or less fuel than others) this could unbalance and cause a one of the cylinders to run hotter than the others.

QUESTION - How big of a job was it to change them, and how much did the entire job cost?

I might do this on mine if its not to expensive.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

From my Aviation experience - Piston Aircraft - The pilot can adjustment the mixture to optimize for performance, power, economy, and cooling.

poor mixture control could easily cause high temperatures (to lean) and less power (too lean or to rich)

Electronic FI (automotive) optimizes to burnt O2, (when in closed loop)

A nice thing about Fuel Injection vs Carbaurated - With Carbs, the fuel/air mixture to each cylinder can vary fairly significantly. With FI, the mixture to each cylinder is almost exact and balanced. This is one of the reasons why FI outperforms Carb.

If you had injectors not producing good spray patterns, or worn seats (spraying more or less fuel than others) this could unbalance and cause a one of the cylinders to run hotter than the others.

QUESTION - How big of a job was it to change them, and how much did the entire job cost?

I might do this on mine if its not to expensive.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

Thank you for your question.

Background info: My MH is 1987 22RE Auto, with approximately 104k miles on the odometer, I have had it for 2 years, and had put approximately 20k miles on the clock. The "overheating" problem has been with this MH since the day I got it.

My good friend who is also my mechanic charges me at a "special rate" that's why I have been able to do so many things with my MH. I don't think quoting what he charges me reflects true market cost. It took him less than half a day to do the job (I don't know exactly how long but I left the MH with him for half a day). All I know is that he needs to replace the intake plenum gasket also when he does the injectors.

Also: There's no noticeable difference in terms of fuel economy after the injectors change. Usually if I need to travel down to the USA, Interstate-5 is the normal route and I have traveled down the Vancouver-Portland route many many times so I know what the MH should perform at different slopes, long stretches ... etc.

Wow, this is an old thread... I read through all the posts..

Did the injectors improve the temperature problem?

Wow, this is an old thread... I read through all the posts..

Did the injectors improve the temperature problem?

Yes, it did. Before the temp would at times reach the top of the normal temp zone (the top of the white zone), now it would reach maximum 2/3 within the white zone.

• 6 years later...

I wonder if the intake plenum gasket also played a major role, in that you would be running lean if you were sucking in a bit more air? I have a similar overheating issue, and have hit a dead end pretty much. I have found three other threads on the forum that just ended cold (pardon the pun) with no resolution to the overheating issue. Here is my thread..

3 hours ago, deadflo said:

I wonder if the intake plenum gasket also played a major role, in that you would be running lean if you were sucking in a bit more air? I have a similar overheating issue, and have hit a dead end pretty much. I have found three other threads on the forum that just ended cold (pardon the pun) with no resolution to the overheating issue. Here is my thread..

I have read where well intentioned people have used head gasket or cooling system magic elixir and it blocked the cooling passages.  I have also heard of motors being run on pure water or left with no coolant in them have rusted and blocked the passages. Seems to be difficult to diagnose without taking engine apart.

I have also seen many switch to electric cooling fans and have yet to see it solve a cooling problem.

aaa.PNG

Edited by jjrbus