I have a 1990 Odyssey 22' with the v-6 motor and have read on several forums that the owners drive with the transmission o/d off. Is this the norm? I can see this would probably be required with the 4 cyl owners but not with the v-6. Input?

I have a 1990 Odyssey 22' with the v-6 motor and have read on several forums that the owners drive with the transmission o/d off. Is this the norm? I can see this would probably be required with the 4 cyl owners but not with the v-6. Input?

For myself, I put my tranny in overdrive when I will be driving on flat roads and in gentle hills. Any kind of serious mountains or hills, I take it out of overdrive. I believe the constant shifting doesn't do the drive train any good. The cost of gas has risen and I like to stretch a buck to the limit, but constant shifting can break a tranny, so what have you gained ? I guess I just use caution to dictate when I use overdrive.

The avereage altitude around here is 5000ft, so in 20 years my O/D has almost never been used.

• 1 month later...

I have a 1990 Odyssey 22 with V6 also, and I would recommending using the OD as often as possible

to get better gas mileage, keep the engine running cooler, and keeping the engine and transmission

running at lower RPMs. It is my experience that if one uses the cruise control on slightly hilly or worst roads, the transmission will down shift more often than one would like. The method that I use is to try to

alway use the OD and when I approach a hill I take the cruise off (or just leave it off on short trips)

and I just keep the gas petal at the same spot, the motorhome will start to slow down, but in most

cases no more than 5 to 10 mph, but once over the hill, the speed will pick back and and the transmission never down shifted. After a few minutes of driving like this, you will notice that you can push the gas

petal down a little before it will force a down shift (actually, I think on can disconnect the petal passing

arm to reduce downshifts, but that is another story), so once one notices that the motorhome is

slowing down on a hill, one can give it a little gas to keep the speed up without forcing a downshift.

Give the above a try and I think you will find it much easier than it sounds and will see a cooler

running engine/transmission.

Dennis...