Top and Bottom track replacement -windows

Paul B

Hi to all, we continue to work on pulling everything out and have pulled the windows. I noticed the top and bottom tracks are falling apart. Has anyone ever replaced them? If we do not, will the windows leak? Any ideas, comments or suggestions are most appreciated.

Thanks!

what tracks are you talking bout?My windows are leaky obvious shrunk molding.My vertical windows wont stay open are my tracks shot?Ive also pulled out windows and got new,well actually quite dusty exterior widow molding. Was thinking of applying small bead of butyl caulk,not putty, against glass before putting new dusty rubber molding.

The tracks are not really seals the water runs off the windows and into the frames where they drain out the bottom have a look and you'll see some small bumps that stick out from the frame make sure they are clean and the water will just drain out the bottom. I guess the worst case problem if the tracks are worn the windows might rattle.

Thanks, most of the tracks are falling apart, and all of the sliders work very hard. I found one site that sells new tracks- I think we may try to replace them, but that is at the bottom of the prioity list. We pulled each window, cleaned out all the old butyl tape, caulk etc. We then re-installed with fresh butyl tape and clear geocel(?) caulking. Still with a few leaks, thats why we were thinking it was the tracks. We cleaned out the drainage/weep holes when we pulled the windows.

Keep us in your thoughts, we have already cancelled the Cape camping trip in June as there is no way we will have it back together by then. Now we are focused on a trip in August to Lake Champlain-

Thanks, most of the tracks are falling apart, and all of the sliders work very hard. I found one site that sells new tracks- I think we may try to replace them, but that is at the bottom of the prioity list. We pulled each window, cleaned out all the old butyl tape, caulk etc. We then re-installed with fresh butyl tape and clear geocel(?) caulking. Still with a few leaks, thats why we were thinking it was the tracks. We cleaned out the drainage/weep holes when we pulled the windows.

Keep us in your thoughts, we have already cancelled the Cape camping trip in June as there is no way we will have it back together by then. Now we are focused on a trip in August to Lake Champlain-

Please enlighten us as to where on the www you found the new tracks !

Hate to see u cancel trip due to leaky windows. How many windows do u have? Sounds like u did everything right...hope someone else can help. I also hope not to have leaky windows after fresh install of my old windows. My bottow pane the one that slides someone put halfassedly caulk/sealant at exterior seam of glass and metal. Could yours be leaking there? The top has a gasket but not the bottom. I wish i had new windows! Not looking forward to leaky windows after new paneling

Oh, no we are cancelling the trip to the Cape due to the fact that nothing has been re-installed, and it remains an empty shell. The company that sells the tracks "Interstate Metal", 1-800-587-3463. http://www.interstatemetals.com/ This is the site, I haven't had the opportunity to call them yet, but hope to this week. They have the tracks listed on the site, but you need to call for pricing- I'll let you know when I get more info