bestbowl

Trailer Hitch Insanity

I really like this rack

41YWXOl72BL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Found it on Amazon. There is also a 4 bike version.

212Ej98psyL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Not easy to remove though.

Here is the Swagman reciever type mount for the square tube, also on Amazon.

51ZOqAw44CL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

And the Amazon page http://www.amazon.com/Bumper-Bike-Rack-1-4-Bikes/dp/B002MFO58O

Thanks. The problem with all these bumper type hitches is that not only is the bumper on 80's Dolphins extremely weak but there is absolutely no clearance between the back wall tongue frame and the bumper itself. It is impossible to put anything around the bumper. It is basically connected to the back wall of the Dolphin.

Thanks. The problem with all these bumper type hitches is that not only is the bumper on 80's Dolphins extremely weak but there is absolutely no clearance between the back wall tongue frame and the bumper itself. It is impossible to put anything around the bumper. It is basically connected to the back wall of the Dolphin.

Post us a pic of the bumper. Hate to say it but it sounds like some custom build will be in order to fit something on. I am not to keen about the ladder bike rack systems. Besides the ladders not being connected to the coach very well that extra weight bouncing up and down could loosen the mounts even if they are sound. Would be good for chairs though!

If I am picturing the bumper you have its a custom dolphin one sorta molded to flow into the body.

Your not going to find a receiver hitch specifically made for your rear frame rails. The receiver though can be bought by itself with a flat steel plate and bolt holes in it. You would create the cross member to bolt it to.

31m6zPWGP7L._SL500_AA300_.jpg21icupHRIQL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Might also check this one out, it adjusted from 31" to 71" width

http://www.jcwhitney.com/adjustable-motor-home-receivers/p2004352.jcwx

G_14352G_SW_1.jpg

And this one up to 51" http://www.jcwhitney.com/adjustable-rv-receiver/p2011860.jcwx

I_284334_SW_1.jpg

I have been checking into receivers like the two small bolt on type at the top of your post to bolt onto the steel tongue just behind the bumper that's welded very heavily to the frame and is very solid. The only problem I can see encountering is that the tongue is only 2" wide then it intersects with the rear of the bumper. Unless the bolts on either of these receivers are 1" apart then the front bolt will be over the bumper. I suppose I could bolt the rear bolt of the receiver into the steel tongue and the front into the bumper but I'd rather keep all weight off of the bumper. I don't know... What do you think? Also do you have links for these two receivers? Thanks

post-3817-12738904948571_thumb.jpg

post-3817-12738905269792_thumb.jpg

post-3817-1273890561097_thumb.jpg

Edited by bestbowl

The pics tell the story, not what I was thinking. Yours is like mine, a square tube fastened to the original bumper. I believe the bumper itself is strong. But a receiver attached to the bottom would not be. I will bet that bottom of the bumper is only 2 inches or less wide. Not enough. A bike hanger will want to twist the bumper. The adjustable (last two in post) would connect between the frame rails. They are designed for strength in regards to twisting. There would be a bunch of measuring to decide if they would work or not. Any welding shops nearby. Building something that would fit and attach between the frame rails would be easy to do. Another option is to take a bike rack and build some mounts on the bottom of that bumper to attach it.

Yeah, I think I will have to take it to U-Haul or somewhere to see if they have something that will work. I think most receivers are special order specific to vehicle so it may be tough. I know the frame is 37" wide so maybe one of those latter ones you linked may work. Bob up above says a '92 Dodge Caravan is the ticket. Maybe I'll check into that... Do you have links to those first two small receivers just for kicks?

Yeah, I think I will have to take it to U-Haul or somewhere to see if they have something that will work. I think most receivers are special order specific to vehicle so it may be tough. I know the frame is 37" wide so maybe one of those latter ones you linked may work. Bob up above says a '92 Dodge Caravan is the ticket. Maybe I'll check into that... Do you have links to those first two small receivers just for kicks?

I found the top two receivers on amazon.com. go there and do a search for towing receivers and I think you will find them. You can probably buy them (same type) at any auto parts house and maybe even Wal-Mart. The two receivers that are adjustable are not for any specific vehicle. They are meant to be a universal option for any vehicle including yours.

I'd definitely go to U-Haul. They mount hitches on all kinds of vehicles and will probably come up with something for your Toyhome. Just be sure and tell them that you'll be carrying 100 pounds back there. I have an '85 Dolphin with a steel tube bumper/hose carrier back there and the receiver is welded on to the bottom of the tube and goes forward and is welded to the frame. This kind of setup is nearly bulletproof and mostly carefree. I never worry about anything that I carry back there. You may not want to spend the money for a custom hitch but when you do, you'll wonder what all the fuss was about.

Good weather, so here's some pictures of my "overkill" hitch mount

post-18-12739640774456_thumb.jpg

post-18-12739640910545_thumb.jpg

post-18-12739642723817_thumb.jpg

post-18-12739644344887_thumb.jpg

OKay ,

With the talk about hitches and I like the pictures of the hitch pf the cargo hitch with blue storage box . I measure the frame to frame being 39 inches on my toyota rv i heard the other say 37 inches but on mine it 39 inches . With that being said i went out to find a hitch for my toyota rv and get rid of my little bike rack i have now . What i found at a junk yard off a 1994 full size ford van a 39 inches across with a 2 inch receiver for $ 28.00 what a deal . To hook this up to the frame was to cut off the bumber so that i can reach the 2 inch receiver with a bike rack or a cargo box storage thing . I would like to know if the motorhome will look kind of off with no bumber i could leave a cargo storage on the hitch so it will cover the area of a missing bumber what do you folks think about this ??

Thanks

Price

Where do you carry your sewer drain hose? Mine lives inside the bumper.

mine is in the bumper but will have to move it to another location as that is a minor thing to me i like the idea of having a bike rack then a cargo rack i also see where they have a table hitch where you can put a bbq on when you are camping . so many ideas with a hitch mount

Price

Where do you carry your sewer drain hose? Mine lives inside the bumper.

What i found at a junk yard off a 1994 full size ford van a 39 inches across with a 2 inch receiver for $ 28.00 what a deal .

Well, you even beat me, and I'm cheap. The 1992 dodge caravan reciever I installed was $29.00 at the junkyard.

Nice looking hitch there WME. I remember going to my local bike shop inquiring about cheap bike racks (whatever happen to those semi-circle hoop ones?) but the cheapest thing they had was about $400 bucks + you needed a hitch. Screw that! I went to Orchard Supply and bought about $12 bucks in 3" ABS pipe and made my own. Held 2 bikes for hundreds of miles of nasty washboard dirt roads without a problem. Worked great as a way to climb on the roof too! Pics around here somewhere.

I don't think mounting the bike by setting wheels in "slots" such as some of those racks pictured is a good idea. Would seem rims will be susceptible to bending with that design.

Nice looking hitch there WME. I remember going to my local bike shop inquiring about cheap bike racks (whatever happen to those semi-circle hoop ones?) but the cheapest thing they had was about $400 bucks + you needed a hitch. Screw that! I went to Orchard Supply and bought about $12 bucks in 3" ABS pipe and made my own. Held 2 bikes for hundreds of miles of nasty washboard dirt roads without a problem. Worked great as a way to climb on the roof too! Pics around here somewhere.

I don't think mounting the bike by setting wheels in "slots" such as some of those racks pictured is a good idea. Would seem rims will be susceptible to bending with that design.

WELL lets see the picture of your $ 12.00 3 inch ABS backyard made bike rack !

Sure np. The rack itself is long gone so I don't have any closeups sorry. I only needed something quick for the trip (4K round trip btw at least 300+ miles dirt roads so it definitely withstood the test. The design could benefit from a little more thought tho that's for sure.

camp.png

bikes.png

I'll admit it was a bit goofy looking, but it didn't bother me that it looked so "homemade". It worked great, took about 1/2 hour to build and didn't cost much. $12 bucks sounds about right. Those fittings add up quick. The handlebars had to be turned 90 degrees and it wasn't designed for 2 bikes really. My wife changed her mind at the last minute and wanted her bike too. She flew down to SanJose del Cabo for 2 weeks btw and used it maybe twice while she was there! :) I toted her bike all over for the remainder of the trip and 2K miles back home where it eventually was given away! I'd do it all over again tho every time. Bikes are so nice to have! Gotta have em!

Not sure what to do with my new camper setup. Would like to make something a bit more professional tho. :)

Just to let yall know the trailer hitch is used to pull a trailer too. Its sorta hard to read with all the bullet holes but the sign says "Powder River Pass Elevation 9,666 ft". Its real interesting going down :blink:

Just in case you are thinking that Toys only go to the beach, the second pic is climbing to the Gore Range cut in

Rocky Mountain National park the cut is 12,183 ft and we made it over

post-18-12741517055666_thumb.jpg

post-18-12741532015789_thumb.jpg

That's a really nice setup and rig there WME. I really like the colors (pretty sure already said that). Could use a few more windows? Is that a V6 manual 5 speed or auto?

12,000 ft. is pretty impressive. Here in California we have a few paved hills (Tioga Pass + Lake Tahoe). Not sure if those reach 12K ft, but they might come close.

Unfortunately there aren't any beaches in California to "camp" on. They don't exist. Pismo Dunes doesn't really count as it is an offroad/party zoo. Jalama beach might be the closest thing. For Day use, San Onofre's Old Man's is the closest thing to the real deal. We have plenty of mountain wilderness for camping, but you'll have to go north or south of the California border to find beach wilderness.

No V-6 its a 4 cyl with an automatic. The engine has had a mild hot rod rework done and is around 135hp.

Somehow CA. wilderness, and beach don't seem to belong in the same sentence. Ive camped om the beaches in Or. and Wa. The beaches are OK but the water is a bit gray, not a proper blue.

I just installed a Curt bumper hitch on mine. Seems like it will work fine. It will hold a bike rack and I even use it to carry a light weight motorcycle rack and put my Honda Trail 90 on it. My bumper doesn't seem to be the strongest, with 2 welded attatchment points to I beam channels, but it seems adequate. They make bike racks that hang off rear ladders also, but you'd want to watch the weight.

Good Luck

I have a bumper mounted spare on the sunrader. I strapped a bike rack to it. I then took a long piece of nylon rope and made a suspension system from the roof rack. I ran the rope back and forth between the rack and each mounting point for the rack. It worked well with three bikes on a 7000 mile trip. I'll see if I can get pics up.

I figured as much although I won't be "towing". I will be carrying bicycles. I would think that after 30 years of Dolphining someone would have come up with something for carrying bikes... I could not imagine driving an RV any distance without bring along a bike or two.

Anyway I was hoping it would be old news in a forum like this and someone would have figured out that an '87 Toyota Silverado (or whatever) hitch is the same. I suppose I am overly optimistic ;-)

I own a Dolphin and have been wrestling with the idea of welding on a hitch in order to hold my big 2" bike rack receiver. Instead, after much research of condensed size, quality, and price, I'm going with folding bikes. Can then place them safely inside the RV.

So, I'd say after 30 years of Dolphining, someone has come up with something for carrying bikes....the inside of a Dolphin!