Trailer Hitch Insanity

bestbowl

Hello,

I have been searching the net for weeks in a failed attempt to find some sort (any sort) of trailer hitch receiver that I could mount on an 87 Dolphin. It seems impossible without constructing one from scratch and welding it... Does anyone know of a hitch receiver that I could use that would hold a bike rack and 100 pounds of (heavy) bicycles. The Dolphin has the standard 4 inch square bumper but it is attached very close ( 2 mm ) from a piece of steel welded to the frame which I believe eliminates the use of the standard Curt bumper receiver which I am not even sure I should use being that the bumper is not too solid anyway. I assume I need some type of standard universal hitch receiver I just don't know which one would be best and obviously I'd rather not drill and weld... Maybe I ask too much. Much thanks in advance for any ideas.

Edited by bestbowl

I figured as much although I won't be "towing". I will be carrying bicycles. I would think that after 30 years of Dolphining someone would have come up with something for carrying bikes... I could not imagine driving an RV any distance without bring along a bike or two.

Anyway I was hoping it would be old news in a forum like this and someone would have figured out that an '87 Toyota Silverado (or whatever) hitch is the same. I suppose I am overly optimistic ;-)

I'm newish here too and I agree that you'd think this problem (at least for carrying bikes) would have been solved long before our arrival. From reading over the past several months, all the hitches seem to have been individual efforts with few details mentioned. I'll be looking to install some sort of receiver myself to carry bikes on the back if a Winnie Warrior.

BTW, if your one or two bikes weigh 100lbs, I'd suggest you upgrade. :rolleyes:

Yeah, it's been a long tough search. Ridiculous... Bikes are a must with a Dolphin.

We should invent something and become millionaires. We'd have a monopoly. hyper.gif

By-the-way. I did "upgrade" my bikes. That's why they way 50 pounds each. They are lithium ion cell powered and can do a 60 mile run at 30 miles per hour... thumbup.gif

If you need it right and strong, then welding is involved.

A picture is worth a thousand words, I'll try to post my setup tomorrow.

Basically I did

1. Reinforced frame and joints.

2. Remove 4" square sewer tube.

3. Welded on a 4" 3/16" wall square tube.

4. Cut a 2" hole in the 4" tube and welded in an 18" long receiver tube.

5. Welded in a crossbar between frame channels at the front end of the receiver tube.

6. Cut another hole in the 4" tube and installed the trailer wire plug.

This way NOTHING hangs below the bumper except the safety chain loops.

The bumper carries the weight and the crossbar handles the twisting torque from the trailer tongue bouncing up and down.

WME

Wow, that sounds nasty for just a little bike rack. I was hoping to just bolt into the frame or the little 2 inch steel tongue the is welded to the frame (behind the bumper). I am not much of a welder. What do you figure a project like this would cost to get down professionally? Thanks

There is or was a bike rack made to attach to the 4" square sewer pipe carrier bumpers on motorhomes. There was one attached to my Sunrader when I bought it. It would carry two bikes. I had removed it almost immediately and had stored it away in my shed. Two weeks ago I cleaned my shed and threw it away.

Allen

A reciever hitch off of a 1992 dodge caravan matched up perfectly to my 1980 Dolphin.

Welded it on for peace of mind.

The reciever sits just below the 4" square bumper, and sits slightly in from the bumper.

If you asked me how it fit, I would reply in my best impression of Ace Ventura Pet Detective, "LIKE A GLOVE!"

Wow, that sounds nasty for just a little bike rack. I was hoping to just bolt into the frame or the little 2 inch steel tongue the is welded to the frame (behind the bumper). I am not much of a welder. What do you figure a project like this would cost to get down professionally? Thanks

Well besides the hitch carrier in the picture I also pull a 5x8 ft trailer, hence a little over kill on the hitch.

No pictures today got 5" of snow and expecting 10" more by noon Wed.

Well besides the hitch carrier in the picture I also pull a 5x8 ft trailer, hence a little over kill on the hitch.

No pictures today got 5" of snow and expecting 10" more by noon Wed.

I gather you posted a picture somewhere. Could you please provide a link.

And Bob, do you have a picture?

Thanks.

My Avatar pic shows the hitch carrier.

I did the I used metal water/gas pipe method.

I had a friend weld an extra support on top of the existing bumper

supports to beef it up a little. I then purchased about 10 feet of

water/gas pipes and made a 'Z' shape out of them (basically 4 footer,

90 degree elbow, 3 footer, 90 degree elbow, 6 incher), then inserted the

pipe into the 'U' shape channel of my spare tire bracket. I added

pipe installation (the foam type) to the pipe to protect the bikes.

I just lift the bikes over the 6 inch pipe and place it next to the

spare tire, then I strap the bikes around the tire.

My spare tire actually rests on the bumper and the water/gas pipe passes

down through the 'U' tire support and also sits on the bumper.

Dennis...

Hi there ,

I also like to have a hitch on mine as I like to take my bikes but with no luck so far this what I been using as a bike rack i have to use a strap around the spare to keep it from moving around here some pictures

post-2310-12737022969385_thumb.jpg

post-2310-1273702321564_thumb.jpg

post-2310-12737023551866_thumb.jpg

Here are a couple options for the square tube bumper

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/rv-4-bumper-adapter/17221

and http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/adjustable-2-bike-rack/37759

I think JCWhitney also had a rack system that was set up for the square tube. I could not find it online, I just remember it in their catalog you get through the mail.

Sometimes those bumpers are not attatched very well, so check that out, $1200 worth of bikes under that 18 wheeler behind you would be no fun.

Hey pdqmovie,

How do you like the tire mount system? I'm thinking this is the way I'm going to go as well but I am concerned that the bikes might ride a bit low. Any worries?

Cheers,

Aaron

no pics of the hitch at this time. I am planning on installing airbags in the next couple of weeks,

so I could get pictures then.

What I need to do is stop tinkering with this rig, and actually use it. We bought it last october, and haven't gone anywhere yet. (unless you count the smog shop across town)smile.gif

Hello,

I have been searching the net for weeks in a failed attempt to find some sort (any sort) of trailer hitch receiver that I could mount on an 87 Dolphin. It seems impossible without constructing one from scratch and welding it... Does anyone know of a hitch receiver that I could use that would hold a bike rack and 100 pounds of (heavy) bicycles. The Dolphin has the standard 4 inch square bumper but it is attached very close ( 2 mm ) from a piece of steel welded to the frame which I believe eliminates the use of the standard Curt bumper receiver which I am not even sure I should use being that the bumper is not too solid anyway. I assume I need some type of standard universal hitch receiver I just don't know which one would be best and obviously I'd rather not drill and weld... Maybe I ask too much. Much thanks in advance for any ideas.

There are generic adjustable width RV hitches that will fit. I installed one on my 91 Warrior two years ago just after I bought it. I had to cut way the skid brackets on the frame to have a place to mount it and drill several holes in the frame to bolt it on. In all a 2-3 hour job. We have towed a 700 lb trailer probably 8k miles now. The Warrior actually has C-channel welded to the truck frame to extend it which other makers may not have. I had new airlift bags installed this week and my mechanic was commenting on how much better the frame looked than others he has seen.

If all you want to do is carry bikes, then put a ladder on the back and use one of the ladder mount bike racks. You can use the ladder to get up and re-caulk or service everything on the roof. It will cost about the same in the long run, its easier to install and lighter than the hitch and hitch mounted rack. We have one of those too!

Foxy

How did you get that around the bumper? My bumper (and I thought all of the 80's bumpers) have no clearance between the rear of the bumper and the steel tongue that is attached to the frame. There is no gap between the rear wall of the camper to the front of the bumper.

The bumper (and I thought all of the 80's bumpers) have no clearance between the rear of the bumper and the steel tongue that is attached to the frame. There is no gap between the rear wall of the camper to the front of the bumper which would make it impossible to get a bracket or u-bolt around the bumper...

The ladder seems to be a more chinsey attachment than the bumper weld- I can shake it around. It seems just bolted into the aluminum with small bolts. The bikes weigh 50 pounds a piece. I cannot imagine 100 pounds dangling from the spare tire or the ladder... Neither attachment is too solid.

I agree about the ladder attachment being less than solid. On the SeaBreeze, I'm planning to reinforce the arrangement. I'll probably through bolt it to pieces of hardwood inside the closet and have the pieces of hardwood serve double duty as shelf supports in the closet.

Thanks. The problem with all these bumper type hitches is that not only is the bumper on 80's Dolphins extremely weak but there is absolutely no clearance between the back wall tongue frame and the bumper itself. It is impossible to put anything around the bumper. It is basically connected to the back wall of the Dolphin.

Thanks. The problem with all these bumper type hitches is that not only is the bumper on 80's Dolphins extremely weak but there is absolutely no clearance between the back wall tongue frame and the bumper itself. It is impossible to put anything around the bumper. It is basically connected to the back wall of the Dolphin.

Post us a pic of the bumper. Hate to say it but it sounds like some custom build will be in order to fit something on. I am not to keen about the ladder bike rack systems. Besides the ladders not being connected to the coach very well that extra weight bouncing up and down could loosen the mounts even if they are sound. Would be good for chairs though!

If I am picturing the bumper you have its a custom dolphin one sorta molded to flow into the body.

Your not going to find a receiver hitch specifically made for your rear frame rails. The receiver though can be bought by itself with a flat steel plate and bolt holes in it. You would create the cross member to bolt it to.

31m6zPWGP7L._SL500_AA300_.jpg21icupHRIQL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Might also check this one out, it adjusted from 31" to 71" width

http://www.jcwhitney.com/adjustable-motor-home-receivers/p2004352.jcwx

G_14352G_SW_1.jpg

And this one up to 51" http://www.jcwhitney.com/adjustable-rv-receiver/p2011860.jcwx

I_284334_SW_1.jpg

I have been checking into receivers like the two small bolt on type at the top of your post to bolt onto the steel tongue just behind the bumper that's welded very heavily to the frame and is very solid. The only problem I can see encountering is that the tongue is only 2" wide then it intersects with the rear of the bumper. Unless the bolts on either of these receivers are 1" apart then the front bolt will be over the bumper. I suppose I could bolt the rear bolt of the receiver into the steel tongue and the front into the bumper but I'd rather keep all weight off of the bumper. I don't know... What do you think? Also do you have links for these two receivers? Thanks

post-3817-12738904948571_thumb.jpg

post-3817-12738905269792_thumb.jpg

post-3817-1273890561097_thumb.jpg

Edited by bestbowl

The pics tell the story, not what I was thinking. Yours is like mine, a square tube fastened to the original bumper. I believe the bumper itself is strong. But a receiver attached to the bottom would not be. I will bet that bottom of the bumper is only 2 inches or less wide. Not enough. A bike hanger will want to twist the bumper. The adjustable (last two in post) would connect between the frame rails. They are designed for strength in regards to twisting. There would be a bunch of measuring to decide if they would work or not. Any welding shops nearby. Building something that would fit and attach between the frame rails would be easy to do. Another option is to take a bike rack and build some mounts on the bottom of that bumper to attach it.

Yeah, I think I will have to take it to U-Haul or somewhere to see if they have something that will work. I think most receivers are special order specific to vehicle so it may be tough. I know the frame is 37" wide so maybe one of those latter ones you linked may work. Bob up above says a '92 Dodge Caravan is the ticket. Maybe I'll check into that... Do you have links to those first two small receivers just for kicks?

Yeah, I think I will have to take it to U-Haul or somewhere to see if they have something that will work. I think most receivers are special order specific to vehicle so it may be tough. I know the frame is 37" wide so maybe one of those latter ones you linked may work. Bob up above says a '92 Dodge Caravan is the ticket. Maybe I'll check into that... Do you have links to those first two small receivers just for kicks?

I found the top two receivers on amazon.com. go there and do a search for towing receivers and I think you will find them. You can probably buy them (same type) at any auto parts house and maybe even Wal-Mart. The two receivers that are adjustable are not for any specific vehicle. They are meant to be a universal option for any vehicle including yours.

I'd definitely go to U-Haul. They mount hitches on all kinds of vehicles and will probably come up with something for your Toyhome. Just be sure and tell them that you'll be carrying 100 pounds back there. I have an '85 Dolphin with a steel tube bumper/hose carrier back there and the receiver is welded on to the bottom of the tube and goes forward and is welded to the frame. This kind of setup is nearly bulletproof and mostly carefree. I never worry about anything that I carry back there. You may not want to spend the money for a custom hitch but when you do, you'll wonder what all the fuss was about.

Good weather, so here's some pictures of my "overkill" hitch mount

post-18-12739640774456_thumb.jpg

post-18-12739640910545_thumb.jpg

post-18-12739642723817_thumb.jpg

post-18-12739644344887_thumb.jpg