Army

Found your site last night & spent 4 hrs reading through the general forums and tech notes on drive train. What a wealth of info. Been looking at some Toy MH and didn't know what I was missing to look for. Brings up some questions.

After 87 I shouldn't have to worry about bads axels all are 6 lugs after 87? With 6 lug rears should still check for 5 or 6 lugs in front, possible need 2 spare tires. Is there a year after which both front & back went with 6 lugs? All models regardless of age and miles need to be check carfefully for water damage from leakage? Window frames should be rechaulked for insurance due to shoddy workmansship? In the early 90's have the models improved any in workmanship? In one of the answers there was a link to a page to look up prices when I tried it I got a blank page, is the page down or typo possible on link? I notice in the frums a couple questions concerning the Escaper but never any answers. Is that a rare model? Any input on it? Sounds like for hwy driveing with a 4 banger you will eventully get there but be better off with a 6 and not give up much mpg and have more reserve power.

Now for a sagreligous question on this site. Given Toy MH short coming low power, and water leakage on most all models it sounds like from the forums, what would be your opion on the Rilata as a comparable update? About same size 19'-22', same mpg-18mpg?

I am looking at a Toy MH Escaper 87 AT R22E 60K suppositly in excellant condition for $6600 and a 92 V-6 Warrior for $7500. Reason I was looking for link on pricing & asking about Escaper.

Thanks alot

Army

Found your site last night & spent 4 hrs reading through the general forums and tech notes on drive train. What a wealth of info. Been looking at some Toy MH and didn't know what I was missing to look for. Brings up some questions.

After 87 I shouldn't have to worry about bads axels all are 6 lugs after 87? With 6 lug rears should still check for 5 or 6 lugs in front, possible need 2 spare tires. Is there a year after which both front & back went with 6 lugs? All models regardless of age and miles need to be check carfefully for water damage from leakage? Window frames should be rechaulked for insurance due to shoddy workmansship? In the early 90's have the models improved any in workmanship? In one of the answers there was a link to a page to look up prices when I tried it I got a blank page, is the page down or typo possible on link? I notice in the frums a couple questions concerning the Escaper but never any answers. Is that a rare model? Any input on it? Sounds like for hwy driveing with a 4 banger you will eventully get there but be better off with a 6 and not give up much mpg and have more reserve power.

Now for a sagreligous question on this site. Given Toy MH short coming low power, and water leakage on most all models it sounds like from the forums, what would be your opion on the Rilata as a comparable update? About same size 19'-22', same mpg-18mpg?

I am looking at a Toy MH Escaper 87 AT R22E 60K suppositly in excellant condition for $6600 and a 92 V-6 Warrior for $7500. Reason I was looking for link on pricing & asking about Escaper.

Thanks alot

Army

Howdy Army. Glad ta see ya ! There is a great site for all of your questions. Just scroll down the home page on this site and go to Yahoo Toyota groups. On their site, look at the upper left and you will see a resource block. Click on any topic there and be prepared to spend some time reading. Lotsa good stuff. This site is easier to peruse , so I decided to hang out here. Anyhow, enough of the sharing b/s Shoprat :rolleyes:

Hey Army.

'85-'87 were transitional years for the Toyota chassis with regards to the rear axles. Just look for the full float axle by the bearings on the outside of the rear dual wheels. During the transitional years the front may or may not be 6 lugs. The only real advantage of 6 lugs up front is really that the brakes are a bit bigger on the 6 lug axle. Speaking from experience from having a 5 lug and a 6 lug front axle, there is no noticeable stopping difference. The other issue is changing a spare. I recommend getting towing insurance and never changing a spare again...

I had an '88 Escaper ('87 chassis... remember, the chassis is a year older than the coach) which was awesome. I swapped the cam and put headers on it so it performed more like a V6. The 22REs are bulletproof. The power was excellent, as were the mpg's. She did 60-65 with no problems on the flats or hills. No motorhome is fast. I've driven much bigger ones, and the horsepower to weight ratio is roughly the same. There is less torque, but you don't want to travel faster than 60 mph in a motorhome anyway (speaking from experience as a physician responding to motorhome roll-overs along the interstate).

EVERY motorhome will get a leak. It isn't a matter of if, but when. Expect it in anything that you buy. If it doesn't have one, it will. It is like fridges. If it is old, plan on replacing it in the near future.

I love the Toyotas, and they are much more economical than a VW. You pay for shape, and they hold their value. I bought my Escaper for $5,500 and after great vacations and a few cosmetic upgrades I sold it for almost $8,000. BTW, in excellent shape an '87 should start out at about $7,000-$8,000. I bought an '87 Toyota with a better layout in its place.

Have fun. If you find a good motorhome, buy it fast! This is a good time of the year! The 3rd caller bought mine and I had many, many more begging for it for weeks afterwords. Shape, shape, shape! That is what you are paying for. You'll never lose money if you buy right and maintain.

DWB

• 5 weeks later...

Hey Army.

'85-'87 were transitional years for the Toyota chassis with regards to the rear axles. Just look for the full float axle by the bearings on the outside of the rear dual wheels. During the transitional years the front may or may not be 6 lugs. The only real advantage of 6 lugs up front is really that the brakes are a bit bigger on the 6 lug axle. Speaking from experience from having a 5 lug and a 6 lug front axle, there is no noticeable stopping difference. The other issue is changing a spare. I recommend getting towing insurance and never changing a spare again...

I had an '88 Escaper ('87 chassis... remember, the chassis is a year older than the coach) which was awesome. I swapped the cam and put headers on it so it performed more like a V6. The 22REs are bulletproof. The power was excellent, as were the mpg's. She did 60-65 with no problems on the flats or hills. No motorhome is fast. I've driven much bigger ones, and the horsepower to weight ratio is roughly the same. There is less torque, but you don't want to travel faster than 60 mph in a motorhome anyway (speaking from experience as a physician responding to motorhome roll-overs along the interstate).

EVERY motorhome will get a leak. It isn't a matter of if, but when. Expect it in anything that you buy. If it doesn't have one, it will. It is like fridges. If it is old, plan on replacing it in the near future.

I love the Toyotas, and they are much more economical than a VW. You pay for shape, and they hold their value. I bought my Escaper for $5,500 and after great vacations and a few cosmetic upgrades I sold it for almost $8,000. BTW, in excellent shape an '87 should start out at about $7,000-$8,000. I bought an '87 Toyota with a better layout in its place.

Have fun. If you find a good motorhome, buy it fast! This is a good time of the year! The 3rd caller bought mine and I had many, many more begging for it for weeks afterwords. Shape, shape, shape! That is what you are paying for. You'll never lose money if you buy right and maintain.

DWB

Sweet info, just helped me with my other post........I'll keep reading thanks.

Thanks alot

Army

I would stay away from the Rilata (sp), they look nice, but near impossible to find anyone

to work on them, and all part have to be mail ordered, I think there is only two part suppliers

remaining, both on the West coast. I am taking about the older 4 cylinder Rilatas, however,

the newer V6 are not much better, most VM dealers will not work on them, you pretty much

have to find a motorhome dealer that sells them.