4" bumper hitch

desertrat

Just bought a bumper hitch that attaches to the square 4 inch bumper. It bolts on with a 350lbload rating. Wondering if anyone else has used these. I'm planning on using it to haul a Honda Trail 90 (200 lbs) on an aluminum hitch rack. I also anticipate augmenting the load with straps to the roof ladder, just to belay the beast. I won't be able to see it whie I'm on the road, and I don't want my precious to fall off and get lost somewhere. I'll post pictures when I get this thing up and running.

Happy trails

No doubt your kit is rated 350# but I'm not too sure your bumper mounting is. I would have a real good look underneath, the bumpers are held on with some thing not much better then sheet metal.

Make sure it is welded to the frame, my aluminum sheet metal bumper is held on with 4 bolts and would bend in the middle were I too stand my 240lb. frame on it. Good luck.

I just had a hitch receiver installed on my Sunrader to pull a old lightweight 250# Coleman VersaTrailer. The welder repeatedly referred to the square bumper as "nothing" and he worked off the frame itself for strength. I would not trust the bumper itself to support much of anything. One good bump and I think your hitch rack and bike will be bouncing on the pavement. Consider the leverage of the hitch rack sticking out beyond the bumper, probably multiply the weight stress several times over.

Seamus McShank