79 Sunrader Redux progress...

JohnW

Well, it's been a long road but I can see some light at the end of the tunnel.

I placed some OSB on the sub floor to stiffen it up a bit and laid some IKEA faux wood floors on top, nice fit.

Btw, the floor was not rotted but it's a bit thin and there is really no support between the frame rails so it had a little give. I glued and screwed the OSB and it's much better now plus it makes a nice smooth surface for the faux wood floors. I went back and forth on the floors but decided to go for it and am totally happy with the results.

I also painted the rear seat backs vice replacing them. Feels just like the original and came out great. The fabric for the seat cushions is what you see in the photo. Also got rid of all the curtains and added frosted coating on the side mirrors (a film sold at home depot - cheap) and a stain glass film for the back, now I don't need curtains, have privacy and light.

I painted the cabinets black and the doors a tone of beige. All the colors go with the fabric so it ties in nice.

I plan on going a bit more fun in the cab over section will send pictures when I'm done

post-3261-12731867568498_thumb.jpg

post-3261-12731868006686_thumb.jpg

post-3261-12731869493512_thumb.jpg

post-3261-12731869963901_thumb.jpg

I placed some OSB on the sub floor to stiffen it up a bit and laid some IKEA faux wood floors on top, nice fit.

Btw, the floor was not rotted but it's a bit thin and there is really no support between the frame rails so it had a little give. I glued and screwed the OSB and it's much better now plus it makes a nice smooth surface for the faux wood floors. I went back and forth on the floors but decided to go for it and am totally happy with the results.

I also painted the rear seat backs vice replacing them. Feels just like the original and came out great. The fabric for the seat cushions is what you see in the photo. Also got rid of all the curtains and added frosted coating on the side mirrors (a film sold at home depot - cheap) and a stain glass film for the back, now I don't need curtains, have privacy and light.

I painted the cabinets black and the doors a tone of beige. All the colors go with the fabric so it ties in nice.

I plan on going a bit more fun in the cab over section will send pictures when I'm done

Awesome Looking good !

what is the name of the frosted film ?

Enjoy

Awesome Looking good !

what is the name of the frosted film ?

Enjoy

I can't remember the brand name but it's sold at Home Depot back by the blinds and such. There is a brand that is similar to that of the simulated stained glass I have on the back window that is expensive. The frosting is another brand that comes in larger rolls and is much less expensive. If you ask someone in that area at Home Depot they should be able to find it. Like $25 bucks for the roll and one roll covered all the glass save the back window which was about $30 bucks a roll x 2 rolls - Ouch... but at least no curtains to collect dust.

-John

but at least no curtains to collect dust.

-John

What about the view of that beautiful lake or mountain you just backed up to? That floor looks nice! When we had our sunrader we also put down plywood then vinyl. Sunrader floors consist of 1/4 inch ply, then 1 inch foam core then on the bottom a sheet of aluminum skin all glued together as a sandwich. After time the layers seperate and the floor gets soft there. Nice job!

Black and beige sounds like a winning color combination.

That window film looks fun, but I would have to agree with Greg tho in that it should roll up like a blind or possibly be part of a second laminate you just hang up like a curtain. That rear window is gold when you actually want a window.

• 1 month later...

Wow! I have the exact same minihome! Same year and all. Mine was given to my by my brother-in-law when he left the state. I am debating where to replace the carpet since it's been setting since September 09 and I see you put down faux wood floors, they look awesome, i might do that. I like the idea of the frosted coating on the widows.

This minihome was hit by a car it went thru the top right side window, the previous owner fixed it but it still leaks a little, i don't think I will be able to find a replacement window - any suggestions.

Tofteland

• 2 months later...

About a month ago I spent about 5 hours cleaning the RV and applying the Poly Glow product for fiberglass and it was worth every dime and all the time. It's the only thing I tried that made the fiberglass shine like new. I know it's only supposed to last a year in between touch ups but I have no problem with that as it looks so good. The prep was the most important and exhausting part. I was on my way to Santa Barbara the following morning and had to get her clean and replace the water pump and radiator as well. (that only took one hour btw, amazing, everything worked out on that install)

Unfortunately the old girl blew a transmission seal in the four speed on the way back coming up the camarillo grade. that effectively killed my transmission. Went to this great guy in San Diego - Sparky's transmission - and he was able to locate the parts needed and add a heavy duty clutch for under 1500. Now I know she is solid and ready to go on the long trips.

The interior is about done as well and I will add pictures later...

I plan to rebuild the front steering assembly - as in new bushings and such - to loose some ofthe sway but that's down the road a bit.

-John

post-3261-12832614832699_thumb.jpg

post-3261-12832615028165_thumb.jpg

It looks so awesome!!! Mine is still a work in progress, we replaced the carpet with flooring and just found out that the engine is leaking oil behind the fan, a gasket or something. Since it's a little beat up not sure what I'm going to do yet, the darn runs good. Still need to pound out the right fender and fix the back turn and back up lights.