I am officially the owner of a toyhouse fleet.

86rader

wasn't really looking for one. just happened to take a look on craigslist the other day and came across this....

http://hartford.craigslist.org/rvs/1721357164.html

hmmmmmm, I thought to myself. i gotta go have a look. so, i did.

i did a bit of research and found that it had been listed a couple times over the last few weeks. i wondered what could keep it from selling. the economy? does it have absurdly high miles?

it has 120K on it. runs beautifully. a slight bit of an exhaust leak. sounds like it's at the manifold. the house is solid as a rock. no indications of leaks, past or present. all systems seem to work fine. he says he hasn't run the water heater in a few years, so he couldn't make any promises about it. my feeling is that the owner is being pretty honest about it.

so, why hasn't it sold yet?

well, ken has 2 very friendly labs that have enjoyed the odyssey along with him over the last 7 years and 45K miles. let's just say that there is no doubt about this thing being a "dog house". it really needs a good cleaning and new carpets. i will likely go with laminate flooring.

i think this thing with a refurbed interior might be worth 7 grand or so. don't know yet if i will flip it or put my trusty sunrader up on the block. we shall see.

anyone got any good tips on getting rid of dog smells other than baking soda and water?

pete

wasn't really looking for one. just happened to take a look on craigslist the other day and came across this....

http://hartford.crai...1721357164.html

hmmmmmm, I thought to myself. i gotta go have a look. so, i did.

i did a bit of research and found that it had been listed a couple times over the last few weeks. i wondered what could keep it from selling. the economy? does it have absurdly high miles?

it has 120K on it. runs beautifully. a slight bit of an exhaust leak. sounds like it's at the manifold. the house is solid as a rock. no indications of leaks, past or present. all systems seem to work fine. he says he hasn't run the water heater in a few years, so he couldn't make any promises about it. my feeling is that the owner is being pretty honest about it.

so, why hasn't it sold yet?

well, ken has 2 very friendly labs that have enjoyed the odyssey along with him over the last 7 years and 45K miles. let's just say that there is no doubt about this thing being a "dog house". it really needs a good cleaning and new carpets. i will likely go with laminate flooring.

i think this thing with a refurbed interior might be worth 7 grand or so. don't know yet if i will flip it or put my trusty sunrader up on the block. we shall see.

anyone got any good tips on getting rid of dog smells other than baking soda and water?

pete

Hey Pete--have had good luck using an ozone generator. You can rent or purchase one and it will effectively removed odors. We have used one for years in many different applications and find they work very well.

1.) get a bunch of boxes of dryer sheets and rub the fabrics with them leave them everywhere in stacks

2.) febreze noticeables plug in dual air freshener is like an evaporating oil that switches back and forth so it always smells fresh and new and lasts a month straight

and

3.)buy this spray air freshener spray called ozium get it at your local auto supply/parts store or walmart and it rocks and destroys tough odors fast and for good if you are persistent

our camper smelled like an ashtray as well as a wet dog and I had just quit smoking when we got our beloved 1986 toyota dolphin in november so I was wicked sensitive to smells especially cigarettes and I did these 3 things and its smelling fresh now... now I want a sticker that says "save the dolphins" hope you can save your stinky new baby too! lol

1.) get a bunch of boxes of dryer sheets and rub the fabrics with them leave them everywhere in stacks

2.)febreze noticeables plug in dual air freshener is like an evaporating oil that switches back and forth between 2 different smells so it always smells fresh and new and lasts a month straight

3.)buy this spray air freshener spray called ozium get it at your local auto supply/parts store or walmart it rocks and destroys tough odors fast and for good if you are persistent

our camper smelled like an ashtray as well as a wet dog and I had just quit smoking when we got our beloved 1986 toyota dolphin in november so I was wicked sensitive to smells especially cigarettes and I did these 3 things and its smelling fresh now... now I want a sticker that says "save the dolphins" hope you can save your stinky new baby too! lol

Just getting ALL of the old carpet out will be transformational. My Sunrader just had a FUNK when we first got it, and based on the amount of debris that came loose with the carpet...let's just say it will help a lot. We also went ahead and had everything reupholstered. It costs a pretty penny, but makes a huge difference. You may be able to get some -- if not all -- of the covers dry cleaned. Worth a shot imho.

There are some products available online that will permanently remove odors such as rodent urine, dog urine, cat urine, skunk and other associated smells. Works on a molecular level. Google it and see what you get. Here is one http://www.odorxit.com/ and another

http://www.scoe10x.com/scripts/VideoReviews.asp?gclid=CMit26_YxaECFRT_iAodsn0e_g

One thing to consider is foam can soak in some of those smells which are really hard to get rid of. So perhaps new foam in the cushions etc would help, besides if the foam is as old as the rig its probably shot. Most cushions have removable covers and can be dry cleaned or washed on delicate and line dried. Heat will shrink them so be careful. I have been replacing my foam, buying it from these guys http://www.foambymail.com/

reupholster that sounds like it would cost as much as the motor home itself?!?! dry clean!?! me=beer budget you=champagne lol just a little dog funk

The foam and fabric funk is what led us to reupholster. The cushions in our rig had some serious "history" that wouldn't submit to the Febreze treatment.

I suppose the other approach is just to live in it for a week. Once you do that, you won't notice the smell anymore ;)...

just don't expect a lot of repeat visitors!

try some pet stain/odor remover spray like you use when you dog has an accident in the house, it uses enzymes to destroy the smells and it works great! I bought a whole gallon at my pet store for $13, brand is Simple Solution