Purchasing a Toyota Motorhome

rich527

Hello everybody,

I am not yet a Toyota motorhomeowner, but have some questions if ya'll don't mind. I'm pretty into the Toyotas and have looked at a couple now I've considered purchasing, so far late 80's models. The thing is, I really don't want a project / money pit that I have to work on all the time, if you know what I mean. Obviously, some are better taken care of than others, but are even the best ones potential timebombs? This is where I'm hoping for some input from all you wise Toyota owners. How much work are you all doing on these older Toyotas? Do they have a lot of problems (chassis and/or coach)? Can I expect something somewhat trouble free in an '89-'92 model that's free of leaks and all the other usual issues, or am I asking for it by purchasing something this old?

Thanks so much in advance!

Rich

Hello everybody,

I am not yet a Toyota motorhomeowner, but have some questions if ya'll don't mind. I'm pretty into the Toyotas and have looked at a couple now I've considered purchasing, so far late 80's models. The thing is, I really don't want a project / money pit that I have to work on all the time, if you know what I mean. Obviously, some are better taken care of than others, but are even the best ones potential timebombs? This is where I'm hoping for some input from all you wise Toyota owners. How much work are you all doing on these older Toyotas? Do they have a lot of problems (chassis and/or coach)? Can I expect something somewhat trouble free in an '89-'92 model that's free of leaks and all the other usual issues, or am I asking for it by purchasing something this old?

Thanks so much in advance!

Rich

At this stage of the game, all Toys are , or will be projects. The youngest ones are close to 15 years old. If you don't wish to get really involved in repair of an old MH, I would not buy a Toy. Get something within 10 years old and you will probably be a lot happier. My 2 cents worth.

John

I agree with John they are great little MH's but they are old both in age and design. I would not look at an older any thing because they are all going to have similar problems. If you just want to drive you'll have to pay the price for some thing newer. I personally would love to have a new Winnebago Via but I don't have $135,000!

Hi Rich,

I agree with the other guys (that already posted) and believe all toyotas will need work within the near future. That being said, I have a low mileage 1990 and it has been very trouble free. I guess it all depends what you consider a "project" is. If you define that as caulking some seams or fixing a heater, then any motor home will probably be too much as they all require some level of maintenance, and just like a house things break. I have a friend who just bought a brand spanking new trailer with slide out and all the bells and whistles and they have all kinds of stuff falling off and breaking. Theirs is, however, covered under warranty. So my point unless you have a warranty be prepared for some amount of work. That's just RV'n for you.

Best of luck on your search. If you consider something other than toyota, take a good look at the Lazy Daze

Kevin

Thanks for the advice! Yeah, I don't mind fixing things here and there, so long as it isn't a transmission overhaul or something. I'm mostly not wanting to invest thousands into something soon after purchase.

Yeah, I've heard Lazy Daze are well made, but I imagine the gas mileage doesn't compare?

I would say the worst problems the older ones face is water damage and it does not matter who made them the rest is like any thing used just be careful. If you are looking at Toyota's make sure it has the full floating rear (6 bolt wheels)

I would say the worst problems the older ones face is water damage and it does not matter who made them the rest is like any thing used just be careful. If you are looking at Toyota's make sure it has the full floating rear (6 bolt wheels)

If it dont have the 6 bolt full floating rear axle , like mine did not you can buy them relitively inexpensive. I paid 200 bucks for my 6 lug, and another 600 bucks to have the 5 lug yanked out and the new to me 6 bolt full float installed, and sold the 5 bolt faux for 150 buxz, to a guy that loves to play in the mud with toy trucks. Gives ya lots of room to get her way down in price ! Just mention the safety concerns, However my ol 5 lug never had a problem at all with 56 k on the clock. Go figure

• 2 weeks later...

I bought my 1991 Itasca 6 years ago and feel that the repairs I have had to make are quite reasonable. Resealed the roof, replaced the roof A/C, six new tires as it still had originals and I needed a better inverter since I full time.....those are the only expensive things. It has never left me stranded!

Hi! I (finally, after looking for a couple of years) just bought my 92 Winnie (Phoenix II) last month. Was just able to bring her home this past weekend. She ran very well over Rte 50 thru WVa! Am now in the process of getting emissions inspection passed - into the shop tomorrow, don't yet know how much.... She passed the safety inspection, including the tires, but they are 10 years old and I'm going to get new. Looked at the 'tires' forum on this site, and have been looking at tire company web pages. All sites so far say, 'sorry we don't make that size tire any more'. The garage said they could put a set of Kumho on her. Has anyone bought tires in the last year or so? If so, what do you recommend?

As for the question about buying a Toyota motorhome: I looked till I found a good one and was willing to pay a bit more for her. For an older motorhome within my budget I felt the Toyota based was far and away the best gamble for the buck. Plus, I've long thought they are darned cute and just the right size. Now I just have to learn how to use everything and take care of her.

The garage said they could put a set of Kumho on her. Has anyone bought tires in the last year or so? If so, what do you recommend?

When I need tires, I'm leaning seriously towards a set of Hankook RA08 185R14 All Season Radial. Others speak highly of the Yokohama Y356.

Just be sure you don't get talked into installing a set of passenger car tires. You definately want at least Load Range 'C' in a 185R14.

When I need tires, I'm leaning seriously towards a set of Hankook RA08 185R14 All Season Radial. Others speak highly of the Yokohama Y356.

Just be sure you don't get talked into installing a set of passenger car tires. You definately want at least Load Range 'C' in a 185R14.

Many thanks, Derek!

Waitover13,

Don't let anyone convince you that load range C tires are ok. The difference in C and D is that D has an extra ply on the sidewalls of the tires, and the sides are where the stress of 6000 lbs. swaying back and forth builds up extreme heat and takes its toll. Referencing weight ratings are fine when you're standing still but do it right and make sure you get D's. I got Nexens from tires-easy.com and were delivered to my door for around $70 each, had them mounted and balances for $8 a tire.

Seamus McShank

Derek and McShank. Thank you. I hadn't heard of the Nexen tires. Will look them up. Also, Derek, appreciate the comment on the Kumho. I'd looked them up and only saw ones in that size as Trailer tires. Now for certain those won't be going on my motorhome.

I am running Yokohama 185R-14/D1 Y356 $81 each from America's Tire Co. D rated 65 lbs air cold. http://www.yokohama.com.au/ourtyres/tyre.aspx?tyreid=77

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/tires/yokohama/product/submitProductSize.do?r=CSBINT%7Cpc%7C95003&pc=43193

There site is listing them at $101 now. Google a search for Yokohama Y356. Got a nail in a sidewall, I bought the free replacement package and they replaced it for free.

yokvr1.l.jpg

We have had our 91 Winnebago for about 2 years now.

Upgrades have been: trailer hitch, roof ladder & bike rack.

Repairs have been: New Tires, Starter, new air bags, service automotive AC, replace burner in the propane fridge, replaced all belts and had a tune up plus routine oil changes.

The previous owner gave us their service records which included the head gasket replacement and a new timing belt at 62K miles.

We have put about 20k miles on it and will probably do another 10-12k this year. Fuel useage usually runs about 13-14mpg when towing our small trailer and 14-16 without it.

When we bought it, I was thinking it was cheaper than renting to find out if we liked RVing and we could easily sell it and upgrade. However after looking around, we decided that we liked our little Toy better than anything else we saw under 25 feet. (which would be our upper limit on size) I think we will be keeping it until it dies.

Hi! I (finally, after looking for a couple of years) just bought my 92 Winnie (Phoenix II) last month. Was just able to bring her home this past weekend. She ran very well over Rte 50 thru WVa! Am now in the process of getting emissions inspection passed - into the shop tomorrow, don't yet know how much.... She passed the safety inspection, including the tires, but they are 10 years old and I'm going to get new. Looked at the 'tires' forum on this site, and have been looking at tire company web pages. All sites so far say, 'sorry we don't make that size tire any more'. The garage said they could put a set of Kumho on her. Has anyone bought tires in the last year or so? If so, what do you recommend?

As for the question about buying a Toyota motorhome: I looked till I found a good one and was willing to pay a bit more for her. For an older motorhome within my budget I felt the Toyota based was far and away the best gamble for the buck. Plus, I've long thought they are darned cute and just the right size. Now I just have to learn how to use everything and take care of her.

You must be a fellow Virginian too. Where abouts are you located? We have to go through a lot just to get our cars on the road!

• 2 weeks later...

I had all six replaced with Hankooks. Very good tire at a reasonable price @ Tires Plus.

Tudy

84 Dolphin "Cricket"

Rich,

Where are you?

My '86 sunrader is currently listed on feebay.

If you are looking for ease of maintenance and reliability, I will put a 22RE equipped sunrader up against much newer stuff. the battle to keep water out is much easier with sunraders than most others.

Hello Rich,

Here is a 1991 Toyota Odyssey in my neck of the woods with only 59,000 miles on her.

Dennis...

Are my eyes going bad or was the interior in that Odyssey pink and tan?

Tudy

84 Dolphin (Cricket)

• 2 months later...

We have had our 91 Winnebago for about 2 years now.

Upgrades have been: trailer hitch, roof ladder & bike rack.

Repairs have been: New Tires, Starter, new air bags, service automotive AC, replace burner in the propane fridge, replaced all belts and had a tune up plus routine oil changes.

The previous owner gave us their service records which included the head gasket replacement and a new timing belt at 62K miles.

We have put about 20k miles on it and will probably do another 10-12k this year. Fuel useage usually runs about 13-14mpg when towing our small trailer and 14-16 without it.

When we bought it, I was thinking it was cheaper than renting to find out if we liked RVing and we could easily sell it and upgrade. However after looking around, we decided that we liked our little Toy better than anything else we saw under 25 feet. (which would be our upper limit on size) I think we will be keeping it until it dies.

Hi Rich. I have a 91 Warrior and camping world needs a body build out diagram to install my roof ladder in the proper area. How did you determine the location for your roof ladder. Any help appreciated. Bruno Galliano

galliano@141.com

Hi Rich. I have a 91 Warrior and camping world needs a body build out diagram to install my roof ladder in the proper area. How did you determine the location for your roof ladder. Any help appreciated. Bruno Galliano

galliano@141.com

The panels in the closet of my 91 warrior unscrew and it is through there that you can see what is going in. They can place supports or whatever through that way too. My ladder is on the closet side.

The panels in the closet of my 91 warrior unscrew and it is through there that you can see what is going in. They can place supports or whatever through that way too. My ladder is on the closet side.

Thanks so much. I was able to call Winnebago and get a body and chassis build out PDF. At the time I purchased my Toyota, I got lucky in the fact that Winnebago is still in business and still has all the technical data available. From what I understand they can still cut original graphics if needed. Thanks again.