Anyone for personal protection ?

Shoprat

I have a large Rott.,but she only protects me from getting into some campgrounds.Firearms have different laws depending where you travel.I usually have a longbow with me but not for defense purposes.I also have a machett and a hatchet.The best thing to carry for camp safety is bear spray,it has a longer range than pepper spray.

LW

Man I'm glad I live in the woods if I had to worry about weapons in my camper I don't think I would go camping. I think the most dangerous thing I have in my MH is a frying pan.

Bear spray and a min-pin

Bear spray and a min-pin

Humn, What why go camping if your scared for your life.

I figure God will take me when he is ready.

So no to your question

Well I like to camp in the national forests here in Wyoming, the bear spray is for bears. Of course it works if I'm in a parking lot, in Calif or some where else thats all paved, against two legged beasties.

The min pin (14lb) is a first class auto reset alarm

That reminds me of when I took two ultra liberal peacenik friends with me prospecting in central Oregon. They asked if I would take my 460 S&W with me. LOL

The NRA has a list of state laws regarding carrying firearms when traveling in an RV.

The bear spray is actually a good idea. I was camping in the southern Oregon wilderness and bears would attack the host cabin. There's a lot more cougars out there now also. None of them will come around if there are Sasquatches in the area. Don't mind the city mice. They don't know what it's like in real wilderness. It's not KOA!

One other item to consider is one of the aerosol can boat horns. They are painfully loud.

I'm thinking of picking up a 12-gage coach gun for travel in states that infringe on my handgun rights. The coach guns are real handy in confined spaces, easy to operate, affordable, and versatile given the options available with 12 gage ammo.

That reminds me of when I took two ultra liberal peacenik friends with me prospecting in central Oregon. They asked if I would take my 460 S&W with me. LOL

The NRA has a list of state laws regarding carrying firearms when traveling in an RV.

The bear spray is actually a good idea. I was camping in the southern Oregon wilderness and bears would attack the host cabin. There's a lot more cougars out there now also. None of them will come around if there are Sasquatches in the area. Don't mind the city mice. They don't know what it's like in real wilderness. It's not KOA!

One other item to consider is one of the aerosol can boat horns. They are painfully loud.

I'm thinking of picking up a 12-gage coach gun for travel in states that infringe on my handgun rights. The coach guns are real handy in confined spaces, easy to operate, affordable, and versatile given the options available with 12 gage ammo.

Don't think I have ever heard of a coach gun. How long is it and do they come in 20 gauge?

Nice lookin shotgun. I don't think there's enough room in my rig to move around with anything that big tho. I'd hit the wall trying to turn around to the target.

Quick story while I have an audience: :)

I remember goofing around on my laptop one evening while camping on a remote beach in Mexico. Must have been around 1AM and I was up because I couldn't sleep. Anywho, out of the corner of my eye I catch a shadowy figure outside the camper in the moonlight and think, "great some punk is outside scoping out my camp/surf gear to rip off". Then I see another figure. Oh crap the legendary BANDITOS! 2 punks now seems much more of a threat and I get a bit nervous. For some odd reason I decide to turn on the lights so the banditos can see me scrounging around for some non existing hardware in the overhead cabinets (it's so illegal to have a gun in Mexico!). That's when a 3rd, 4th, and even a 5th figure emerge and they all appear to definitely have guns! Big guns. It's then that I realize it's just the crazy Mexican military and some dumb midnight maneuver around the gringo camper. So I turn on all the lights and open the door to greet my fellow sleepwalkers! My wife promptly wakes up and sees 2 gunmen dressed in dark army fatigue with ski mask hoods and machine guns in our doorway. "Oh hi honey. These guys were just asking for directions. You can go back to sleep!" :)

Had I really had a gun things might not have gone so well in this scenario. I mean even the most trained professionals sometimes get lost in a train of thought and lose touch with what's really happening. I read an interesting book called "Blink" which documented one such incident in New York with 3 police officers who's signals and reactions got lost in the moment. Guns are kinda a double edge sword and 99.99% of the time they're the right call tho regardless of the legal issues.

Without doubt, A DOG is simply the best protection you can have hands down as it will divert most potential trouble before it escalates to firepower. In the case of the federales snooping around my camp in the wee hours of the night, I would have been alerted of their presence and them of the dog way before they got that close. A dog with some hardware for backup would seem ideal tho! :gun:

A condom:first:

I think for a small motorhome the break action is better than the pump because it's shorter. The break actions are also simpler which should be more reliable plus with the doubles if one trigger malfunctions there is a backup! Easier to load and unload too.

Found one http://www.stoegerin..._coach_guns.php

Here is a pic of one. I think it is a build it yourself kit.

CASG1090Nlg.jpg

Only finding single and double barrel models, a pump would be sweet!

Quick story while I have an audience: smile.gif

BajaD-

Great Story! - I believe "FEAR" can be our #1 enemy - a close 2nd could be "IGNORANCE". -

In this case, you knew where you were, and you kept your cool.

I was thinking of packing GaryMac's Raging Bull on my little Idaho trip, but the kickback would probably knock me out. I Could always take along a banjo.rolleyes.gif

s