86 Dolphin

Old man

I recently bought a 86 dolphin with a 22re and a automatic , it could us more power. I have driven Toyota's for years so I am used to not having too much power. My question is how hard is it to install a turbo and where is a good place to get the parts?

I recently bought a 86 dolphin with a 22re and a automatic , it could us more power. I have driven Toyota's for years so I am used to not having too much power. My question is how hard is it to install a turbo and where is a good place to get the parts?

Howdy Old Man from another Old Man. I just installed a turbo on my 86 Sunrader with the engine configuration you described. I got mine from LC Engineering. They were pricey, but they make the whole kit so you don't have to resource the whole job by yourself. They specialize in go fast Toyota parts. I started installing my turbo in April and am still doing minor things to finish. Besides the turbo, I installed a new computerized fuel management system to eliminate the chance of the turbo leaning the air fuel mix with resulting engine damage. So far I have about 5 grand in the upgrade, hope this helps.

Howdy Old Man from another Old Man. I just installed a turbo on my 86 Sunrader with the engine configuration you described. I got mine from LC Engineering. They were pricey, but they make the whole kit so you don't have to resource the whole job by yourself. They specialize in go fast Toyota parts. I started installing my turbo in April and am still doing minor things to finish. Besides the turbo, I installed a new computerized fuel management system to eliminate the chance of the turbo leaning the air fuel mix with resulting engine damage. So far I have about 5 grand in the upgrade, hope this helps.

How would putting a turbo out of a toyota pickup work? As long as all the parts worked,and you could find a turbo in decent shape?

How would putting a turbo out of a toyota pickup work? As long as all the parts worked,and you could find a turbo in decent shape?

There are several folks here who have used the Toyota truck turbo. Check back into the archives on their experiences, but my understanding of the Toyota turbos are that they are not to long lived. Seem to burn out wastegates. Also you have to change the pistons to ones that lowers the compression ratio, otherwise you get spark knoch. Very hard on an engine. Mine was a low boost unit so the stock pistons would work ok. You might want to check out a few posts lower for a fellow that was installing turbo charged Lexus engines in the Toy motor homes.

Here is a link for the answers to the Turbo Questions you seek. Its the yahoo group 22RTE-Trucks . There are some experts there who have done everything with these trucks from engine swaps to aftermarket builds like Shoprat. A complete swap of a turbo truck engine and components probably is possible and they will know if it can be done.