:o Hey just did about 800 miles with my check engine light on and my speedometer stopped at the same time. It happened about 80 miles into my trip. I monitored the engine and fluid levels during entire trip. All levels good and the engine had no abnormal noises. I just went over 97K and have about a 1000 miles left before next oil change. Had a complete tune up done last March at 87K.. Any ideas??? Later, Jay B Pensacola FL 91 Toy 92 Warrior V6 Auto 21 Ft

Jay

My guess is the computer needs the road speed for some emisions calculations. Probably a sensor in the instrument cluster that gets its info from the speedo-meter. When the computer stoped getting a signal you got the engine light. I have now idea how critical it is but it must have an effect on timing and air/fuel mixtures. Hopefully its just the cable. Probably not the speedo-meter its self. And hopefully not the drive gears in the tranny. Keep us posted on what you find.

Greg