justin86

My boss owned sunrader motorhomes till the recall shut it down

I work at a rv repair and parts store in washington state. I was reading the sunrader 4x4 story and there appeared to be some unanswered questions or facts.

My boss his partner owned and operated sunrader motorhomes. So if you have any questions maybe i can answer them. Or ask him and relay the questions. He was just telling me about making the

4x4 models for the rv dealerships as flagship vehicles or just to get people interested in sunrader motorhomes.. Thats why there was so few of them made.

Also how do you guys rate sunrader motorhomes. I know my boss is extremely good at repairing rv's. At our shop we really focus on qualilty of work. My boss also seams to know so much about rv's and repair that it is flat out amazing. He has been in the business since he was 15. he is in his late 50's now. I am going to show this site to him tomarrow. Maybe he can answer

some of the holes in that story like how many were built. It would be cool to here your likes and dislikes about these motorhomes. From what i have heard from people that own sunrader rv's is they are pretty well built. They also seem to be pretty sought after. We have peaople call looking for used sunrader rvs's once and awhile. Alot of people only seem to wan't them if they are equipt with the v6. Though my boss said the 4 bangers were pretty peppy and a die hard motor. There is a sunrader for sale down the road from my shop but it hasn't sold. The dealer says everyone always asks if it is a v6. Then loses interest when they find out it is not. A few sunrader customers that we have that have 4 bangers say people would be impressed if they acually test drove it. Anyway pretty cool site and let me know what you guys and gals think.

Edited by justin86

Having owned a 4x4 I would be interested in knowing how many were built, how may 22re and also turbos versions, how many each year etc.

So your boss owned the facility in Vallejo California? Its now a RV Dealer with the same phone number that Sunrader had. I have talked with them and they still have the molds for the cab over windows.

What happened... Only one post that's it. I own one a Nissan Sunrader 720 chassis 1984 made there in Cali in 1984... please someone find this fella and get him to talk to us... Thanks we would really like to know more.. You can even email me Cajunnsc@gmail.com 

Sunrader New Trim on Oct 30th 2018 Drivers Side.jpg

He only visited this site the one time he posted. Never again. 

Linda S

Maybe he will return, he could answer so many questions!  

I know it sucks it would have been real nice to find and speak to this fella and his boss...and who ever else they could have included..that knows the history of Sunrader... I would love to pick their brains and I would love to get the story down i writing from those who know it best...the real stories...facts..dates numbers times... thanks everyone ! 

I have doubts about his story so I don't think anyone is missing anything. The guy that still makes Sunrader windows in Napa, Ca. was the plant manager at Garner-Pacific in Vallejo, Ca. At least one of his current employees also worked there. The " owner " was a corporation that also owned plants in Indiana and elsewhere. At the time they made several brands of motorhomes and mobile homes too.

Linda S

Thanks Linda...Sounds right. Never know what people will say online... Thanks for the info. I am trying to get some of the information on the patents..In hope of leading to some original drawings and material list etc.. . I'll post what I find out. Thanks again

Stewart Gardner did not patent the Sunrader shell. Fiberglass was already being used for motorhomes and of course boats. He had a number of other patents. He invented the slide out which he first started using in his mobile home line.  He had a patent for the snap and nap pop out used in the Amerigo campers and he did put those in a couple of Sunraders. Google it pretty cool extra sleeping area.  When I first started doing these sites there was still lots of info about him. No longer, Google has pretty much forgotten him. 

Linda S