1985 Toyota Escaper transmission issues

haze

hey ya'll have a question about the tranny on the Toyota Escaper.....

the info on the drivers side door says my truck was built in may of 1985 and the engine i know is a 22 RE

I am assuming the tranny is a a43d

i have no reverse and when i drive forward from a stop the entire thing shakes or the wheels feel like they are on a slide from the rest of the vehicle.....

the vehicle has been stuck out of state for a little over a year now and all attempts to get the thing towed have fell through

i am down to one last option to get the thing back to my yard and that is rent a car, buy a compatable P.O.S. junk yard tranny, drive the thing home so i can rebuild the brocken tranny at my house

according to internet the A43D tranny is in the following vehicles(according to two websites):

1981 Toyota Celica Supra <LI>1982-1985 Toyota Celica XX 2000G/S turbo <LI>1982-1985 Volvo 240 2.1L Turbo I4 (AW71) <LI>1985-1990 Volvo 740 2.3L Turbo I4 (AW71) <LI>1985-1990 Volvo 760 2.3L Turbo I4 (AW71) <LI>1985-1990 Volvo 760 2.8L V6 (AW71) <LI>1987-1989 Volvo 780 2.8L V6 (AW71) <LI>1985-95 4x2 Toyota Pickup with 2.4L I4

this doesn't seem the case when calling the junk yards

i need a junk yard tranny that i can throw in this thing like a lego piece on the cheap to get it home

what actual makes and models will accomplish this?

am i correct in assuming the tranny is an A43D?

hey ya'll have a question about the tranny on the toyota escaper.....

the info on the drivers side door says my truck was built in may of 1985 and the engine i know is a 22 RE

I am assuming the tranny is a a43d

i have no reverse and when i drive forward from a stop the entire thing shakes or the wheels feel like they are on a slide from the rest of the vehicle.....

the vehicle has been stuck out of state for a little over a year now and all attempts to get the thing towed have fell through

i am down to one last option to get the thing back to my yard and that is rent a car, buy a compatable P.O.S. junk yard tranny, drive the thing home so i can rebuild the brocken tranny at my house

according to internet the A43D tranny is in the following vehicles(according to two websites):

1981 Toyota Celica Supra <LI>1982-1985 Toyota Celica XX 2000G/S turbo <LI>1982-1985 Volvo 240 2.1L Turbo I4 (AW71) <LI>1985-1990 Volvo 740 2.3L Turbo I4 (AW71) <LI>1985-1990 Volvo 760 2.3L Turbo I4 (AW71) <LI>1985-1990 Volvo 760 2.8L V6 (AW71) <LI>1987-1989 Volvo 780 2.8L V6 (AW71) <LI>1985-95 4x2 Toyota Pickup with 2.4L I4

this doesn't seem the case when calling the junk yards

i need a junk yard tranny that i can throw in this thing like a lego piece on the cheap to get it home

what actual makes and models will accomplish this?

am i correct in assuming the tranny is an A43D?

Yeah you can throw Jeep in there too. Most junk yards have a book that will tell them what fits what there is going to be differences in bell housings linkages and the likes. The inner workings are going to be a bit different, different spring rates in the valve body etc. that probably won’t make much difference but things like the converter stall speeds might. There may even be a difference in the tail stock longer/shorter. Pretty much any thing you could find in a Toyota pickup should work for you as a direct fit.

Yeah you can throw Jeep in there too. Most junk yards have a book that will tell them what fits what there is going to be differences in bell housings linkages and the likes. The inner workings are going to be a bit different, different spring rates in the valve body etc. that probably won't make much difference but things like the converter stall speeds might. There may even be a difference in the tail stock longer/shorter. Pretty much any thing you could find in a Toyota pickup should work for you as a direct fit.

all the junk yards just look up weather or not they have any 85 pickups from what i gathered i started by asking if they had any A43D transmissions which got me nothing but static over the phone. then i started asking for pickups between the years 85 and 95and they say no. called a volvo junk yard said the two companies don't use the same tranny. seems to me the junk yard guys are a bit "simple" and require basic direct questions for basic direct awnsers. i did find one place that said they had a 92 toyota pick up with a tranny in it they would sell for 350 but further reasearch stated a different transmission number when i searched the 92 on the web which left my brain full of static. what should i be asking these people for? how would you pose the question to these junk yard guys? i can't afford to have a bad match. i am seriously trying to do this like a military extraction: in, swap, and out on my way back home i cant afford much else right now. it sucks that i am so far away from it, none of this would be an issue.

www.car-part.com

Fill in the blanks and see what is around you.

A search for a 90 Toyota PU 2wd 4cy auto turned up about 12.

I can't offer any insight on the transmission. One thing I'm curious about is has the camper been regularly started over the last year? Gasoline degrades pretty quick and may no longer be good. If a battery sits for a long time without being charged they can go bad too. Just want to bring these up so you are prepared to deal with them when you get there. Where are you? Do you have access to a truck? I successfully towed my 18' Sunrader on a U-Haul auto transport last year when it would not start due to bad fuel/clogged carb. The was the trailer, not the tow dolly. It's not an approved vehicle to put on the trailer but it seems I meant to tow a Honda Civic on the trailer and just got mixed up when I was loading. It was not the most stable set up but it made it 400 miles. Just kept speed below 60mph due to stability issues. If you are anywhere near Texas, PM me and I might be able to help move it.

all the junk yards just look up weather or not they have any 85 pickups from what i gathered i started by asking if they had any A43D transmissions which got me nothing but static over the phone. then i started asking for pickups between the years 85 and 95and they say no. called a volvo junk yard said the two companies don't use the same tranny. seems to me the junk yard guys are a bit "simple" and require basic direct questions for basic direct awnsers. i did find one place that said they had a 92 toyota pick up with a tranny in it they would sell for 350 but further reasearch stated a different transmission number when i searched the 92 on the web which left my brain full of static. what should i be asking these people for? how would you pose the question to these junk yard guys? i can't afford to have a bad match. i am seriously trying to do this like a military extraction: in, swap, and out on my way back home i cant afford much else right now. it sucks that i am so far away from it, none of this would be an issue.

The newer transmissions had electronic controls including the valve bodies so they will not work in an older Toyota because there is nothing to control the shifting. I'm not sure when all this took place but I'm pretty sure a 92 will not work for you and I'll go out on a limb and say a 88/89 back should, so the junk yard maybe telling you the truth. If it does not have any thing other then the button on the shifter for O/D it should be all right the newer ones had a "power /economy" or ETC type switch they need the electronic control box to work properly. The electronic ones had a pretty healthy plug and wiring hooked to them they won't work. The units were Asian Warner transmissions all the guts were pretty much the same but like I said the difference was in the housings, valve bodies, and converters they even look like they should fit one another.

• 9 years later...

Following 🙏. So did you find out what transmission goes on the Escaper? As mine is an 1987, curious. 

Thanks