Tire pressure

ezpilot

Hi All,

I am new to this group and a new Toyota Dolphin owner. It's a great rig. I am trying to find information on the correct tire pressure for the rear tires. Thanks for the help. I am looking forward to may good years traveling with my Dolphin

wickerman is right make sure you have the proper tires first it's bad enough have car tires that won't handle the load much less way over inflating them. Some where behind the drivers seat there should be a plate from the coach maker that will have their ideal on how much pressure the tires should have might be a good starting point. The Toyota plate will list pressures for a truck not a motor home.

My toy is in sheltered winter storage right now so I can't check it. But I know that it states on inside of coach door or by duallies, something about tire pressure on outside vs inside duallie. One is to be less air pressure. Any one else familiar with this?

Tudy

My toy is in sheltered winter storage right now so I can't check it. But I know that it states on inside of coach door or by duallies, something about tire pressure on outside vs inside duallie. One is to be less air pressure. Any one else familiar with this?

Tudy

I have never heard of that, most of the bigger stuff has a flexable line between both rear wheels to keep them at exactly the same pressure. Maybe it is some strange thing they did on the fake dual wheels (5 bolt rear). The ideal is to increase the load carrying capacity so it seems to me the one with more pressure would be doing most of the work.

Thanx so much, Maineah.

I never thought of that. I have all the service records on my Dolphin and the axel was replaced, when it was recalled. I'm going to remove that sticker, when I get her back in the spring :ThumbUp:

Tudy

I have never heard of that, most of the bigger stuff has a flexable line between both rear wheels to keep them at exactly the same pressure. Maybe it is some strange thing they did on the fake dual wheels (5 bolt rear). The ideal is to increase the load carrying capacity so it seems to me the one with more pressure would be doing most of the work.

Now I am really confused. My Shasta has a Coachman sticker on the drivers door that shows the tire size and pressure. It says the tire size should be 185R14LT8PR, the Gross weight is 6000 pounds and the air pressure for the front and rear (dual) tires should be 26 pounds each accordng to the sticker. Sounds low to me. I looked at my tires and they say 50 pounds of air pressure. It also says they are Load C.

Should I be concerned?

If they are "C" rated tires you need to go see your tire store they will not stand the load of a 6000# motor home and they are not designed to run the necessary air pressure. You really need a "D" rated tire don't mean to scare you but a "C" rated tire is not a good thing and should be changed. When people look at our little motor homes they would never believe they weigh 3 tons! Most people are running some thing close to 50 psi on all 6.

When I went to look for tires no store in town had or could order any proper spec tires, although a few tried to sell me trailer tires which are not intended for passenger cars.I have heard of people that run trailer tires but I figured if was already forking out for a set why go cheap. I found Tirerack.com had them and was happy with their service.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchResults.jsp?width=185%2F&ratio=80&diameter=14&x=10&y=3

If they are "C" rated tires you need to go see your tire store they will not stand the load of a 6000# motor home and they are not designed to run the necessary air pressure. You really need a "D" rated tire don't mean to scare you but a "C" rated tire is not a good thing and should be changed. When people look at our little motor homes they would never believe they weigh 3 tons! Most people are running some thing close to 50 psi on all 6.

Thanks - I will put that on my "to do" list.

Ranger