Hi All,

I've had my '76 Chinook just over a year and am slowly restoring it as time and $ allow. Next stop is complete replacement of the rear suspension - springs and shocks. I haven't been able to find a source for a vehicle this old for the springs. Does anyone know of a source or do I need to have them custom made? Is it best to stay with the 6-leaf springs? I'd like to be able to take it on rough roads in Baja when it's finished. Thanks, Mike

Hi All,

I've had my '76 Chinook just over a year and am slowly restoring it as time and $ allow. Next stop is complete replacement of the rear suspension - springs and shocks. I haven't been able to find a source for a vehicle this old for the springs. Does anyone know of a source or do I need to have them custom made? Is it best to stay with the 6-leaf springs? I'd like to be able to take it on rough roads in Baja when it's finished. Thanks, Mike

Good luck Mike on your restoration. Well you got a few options with the springs, finding a listing for the old trucks is tough, but you could have the stock springs rebuilt at a spring shop. The springs from the 79-83 trucks will fit with no problem, the same years in a 4x4 will work also, they have more arch so will add some lift to the rear, just have to flip the alignment pin in the center of the spring pack so the alignment dowel is facing up so the differential will sit on top of the springs rather than the bottom.

As you mentioned have some custom springs built, adjustable overloads on the rear will stiffen and raise the rear. Sounds as though someone has already tried to beef things up with the 6th leaf, if I recall correctly they had 5 leaves stock.

If I,m guessing correctly, your Nook is probably sitting low in the rear like most do over the years, tired springs from years of hauling the weight around, so its kinda a compromise to get some lift back in the rear without going to a super stiff rear spring, rough roads and stiff springs will make for some teeth rattling.

Good luck Mike on your restoration. Well you got a few options with the springs, finding a listing for the old trucks is tough, but you could have the stock springs rebuilt at a spring shop. The springs from the 79-83 trucks will fit with no problem, the same years in a 4x4 will work also, they have more arch so will add some lift to the rear, just have to flip the alignment pin in the center of the spring pack so the alignment dowel is facing up so the differential will sit on top of the springs rather than the bottom.

As you mentioned have some custom springs built, adjustable overloads on the rear will stiffen and raise the rear. Sounds as though someone has already tried to beef things up with the 6th leaf, if I recall correctly they had 5 leaves stock.

If I,m guessing correctly, your Nook is probably sitting low in the rear like most do over the years, tired springs from years of hauling the weight around, so its kinda a compromise to get some lift back in the rear without going to a super stiff rear spring, rough roads and stiff springs will make for some teeth rattling.

Hi Nolan,

Thanks for the prompt and informative reply! Yes, the rear end is hanging now - there's no arch whatsoever in the springs and no bounce in the ride. Sort of like driving a tank. I got a quote back for making custom replacements - $600. ouch! I'm not familiar with having them rebuilt, is that the same as having new ones made? Do they replace all the individual springs with new? Sounds like going with the '79-83 4x4 application is the way to go. Would that have 5 leaves? Even if they're a tad stiff, won't a fully loaded rig making them more solid feeling? And one more question, what do you suggest for shocks in my situation?

Thanks much,

Mike

Hi Nolan,

Thanks for the prompt and informative reply! Yes, the rear end is hanging now - there's no arch whatsoever in the springs and no bounce in the ride. Sort of like driving a tank. I got a quote back for making custom replacements - $600. ouch! I'm not familiar with having them rebuilt, is that the same as having new ones made? Do they replace all the individual springs with new? Sounds like going with the '79-83 4x4 application is the way to go. Would that have 5 leaves? Even if they're a tad stiff, won't a fully loaded rig making them more solid feeling? And one more question, what do you suggest for shocks in my situation?

Thanks much,

Mike

Hi Mike, Rebuilding the springs or more commonly called rearching them is something spring shops do to resurrect old tired springs, especially if new replacements are not available. There are a couple of different methods used, cold arching, where they basically just bend the spring back to its old shape, it works for a while but is not the best route to go, or the heat method where they actually heat the metal, reform it to original shape and heat again to retain the spring action like original, best way to go but can be spendy because of labor costs. The rebuilding part is just where they check and replace any worn or broken leaves, put new bushings and such in the ends, so when done you have basically a new old spring,.

The 4x4 springs are a 5 leaf pack, they have 3 main leaves with 2 smaller thicker overload style leafs, pretty much the same setup as the originals you have now.

On my Chinooks I have the stock 4x4 springs on both, one has a 4" over add-a-leaf installed, the other doesn't, both have 1500 pound adjustable overloads installed also, the ride is good, its stiff but not harsh, they sit relatively level, and no complaints from the drivers seat.

A good set of heavy duty shocks should work fine, air shocks really won't gain you any lift in the rear, but when aired up they can add a bit of extra weight carrying ability, and if plumbed individually, air filler to each shock, they can be used to help level the rig out if heavily loaded on one side.

Theres a number of 4x4 rear spring makers out and about, with stock replacements to major lift styles to choose from, some so stiff they will shake you out of the seat, and others what they refer to as soft ride units that have teflon slide plates between the leaves to let the leaves slide back and forth with less friction to give a softer ride. Then while were at it, theres always the idea of air bags on the rear, you can gain lift, adjust the ride height side to side, and increase the load carrying capacity all for about half of what your quote was for new springs. Hmmm!! lets see now, 4x4 springs in the rear, might as well put some in front and a front differential, then you'll be Baja ready :w00t: just an idea, Later, N.