Hello all,

Randy here, from West Sacramento California.

I am proud owner of 1978 Toyota dolphin.

I bought this rig for $2500 four years ago..

Went from Sacramento to San Diego and back, when I first bought it.

Ran beautiful, no problem.

Why ask why, but I let it sit for about three years.

Yes problems.

The toy will start,but not stay started.

Replaced fuel pump and fuel lines.

Replaced alternator.

Recharged battery.

Tune up, plugs, distributor, air filters.

Replaced oil and filters.

Cleaned fuel lines.

Still won't stay started.

floods easily.

Please, what now?

vacuums, diaphram, carburetor?

be gentle, newbie and have to pay others for repair.

do not want to lose but a grand spent already.

Thank You.

Don't you just love all that CA emissions junk that seems to surround the carburetor in a twisting mess of vacuum hoses? I sort of have the opposite of your problem. It ran sort of ok, but was very hard to start. I replaced everything you mentioned, but still ran lean, lean, and more lean. Nothing seems to correct it. I ended up having to replace the EGR Valve (nightmare to find), and completely replace the carburetor (impossible to find). I am still waiting for the carburetor to come from Florida, but this should solve all my problems. I tinkered with it for weeks, but finally bit the bullet and took it in for diagnosis at a local shop. It was worth it though, because the mechanic identified the problems in about 5 minutes and explained why each part was failing and how he could tell. $75 bucks for my peace of mind, and I learned a couple things too. I would bet that letting it sit for 3 years caused the carburetor to gum up, maybe the float is stuck. Maybe an idle jet is varnished over and plugged. Accelarator pump stuck open, who knows. Lots to go wrong in there. $189 for a completely remanufactured carb, very easy to change yourself, or less than one hour labor at a shop. importcarburetors.com is the best place I found.

On a slightly different topic, is your toy blue and white with tinted windows and a rear door?

I believe there is a tiny window on the front of carb with a line or a dot in it the fuel level should be close to the mark if it is a lot above the mark or all you see is fuel that would explain the flooding and the stalling the fix is inside the carb and it will have to come apart. It does sound like a carb issue there are a lot of parts in those carbs so repairs are not for the faint of heart.

• 4 weeks later...

Sounds like you have some debris preventing your float valve from closing. Hard starting can be a vacuum leak, which is easiest diagnosed with a propane torch. You use the unlit torch around the vacuum hoses until the engine begins to race. The propane enters the fuel system and will cause a temporary rich condition which will change the engine RPM. Don't have the torch blasting, just barely on is best. Obviously, if you're not comfortable with waving an unlit propane torch around your engine you shouldn't do this.

• 1 month later...

Hi Bob

"bob Loblaw On a slightly different topic, is your toy blue and white with tinted windows and a rear door?

I am looking at a 77 dolphin, 16 ft, blue and white with a rear door, any special reason you are asking?

I am thinking of buying it. Would be my 1st motorhome.

post-3568-126466135002_thumb.jpg

I'm a firm believer in fuel stabilizer. I put Seafoam in my gas every fall, before I put her away for the winter. It's a lot cheaper than a rebuilt carb.

I got an old Nash Metropolitan a few years ago that had been sitting awhile. It ran real bad even though the previous owner had put in a rebuilt carb. I put in Seafoam and just kept trying to run the car around the block. Slowly, but surely, it started to run better. After a couple of weeks and about a tankfull of gas it ran like a top.

Makes me wonder, if the truck ran great before, maybe it isn't too late for fuel stabilizer. As long as you can get it to run at all, it might work. It did for me.

Good luck and keep her running, when you do get it fixed. :ThumbUp:

Tudy

• 5 months later...

yes, did that. I have just recieved a beautifully rebuilt carb from Nat'l Carburetors in Florida. My neighbors son

charged me $200.00 just to take off and put on. Said he was gonna charge me $300! Well, carb on now, and no go. Started briefly twice, gave out. Had tune up, but plugs fouled. Now he says may be hoses. Forget him, what to do?

I'm a firm believer in fuel stabilizer. I put Seafoam in my gas every fall, before I put her away for the winter. It's a lot cheaper than a rebuilt carb.

I got an old Nash Metropolitan a few years ago that had been sitting awhile. It ran real bad even though the previous owner had put in a rebuilt carb. I put in Seafoam and just kept trying to run the car around the block. Slowly, but surely, it started to run better. After a couple of weeks and about a tankfull of gas it ran like a top.

Makes me wonder, if the truck ran great before, maybe it isn't too late for fuel stabilizer. As long as you can get it to run at all, it might work. It did for me.

Good luck and keep her running, when you do get it fixed. thumbup.gif

Tudy

I would let a professional look at it. I removed, rebuilt and reinstalled Sadie's carb myself, and it's a big job. Huge!!! (I probably gave myself an ulcer in the process.) I had to replace the hoses too. (The old ones were cracked and split.) My first concern would be that some of the hoses are loose or have gotten crossed. I guess prior to towing it to a mechanic, you could call the neighbor kid over and have him double check his work.