New member, looking for first motorhome

TomCA

Hello everyone!

Looking to get my first motorhome. I am planning to do a few month road-trip around the US. I make a living online, so I can do my work from anywhere. I've been doing a lot of research, and have pretty much decided on an 80's Toyota chasis. My criteria are:

-Decent fuel mileage (15mpg or so. I can't handle single digits)

-Looking to spend ~$5000. There is a good chance I'll sell it at the end of the trip, so I might spend more to get something with a little higher quality for the trip.

-Reliable. Like everyone else, I would rather not blow the tranny in the middle of nowhere.

-Fridge and shower. The point of the RV is to not have to spend money on hotels and eat out all the time. These items are pretty much essential for that.

I do have a few questions:

1. I can't seem to find out much info on running a fridge in an RV. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

2. What kind of mileage can I really expect, driving about 50 with average conditions? Some sellers claim their 22' 4cyl gets 24mpg which I think is bogus.

3. I know that its usually legal to park a Class C on the side of the road as a normal car, but are you allowed to sleep in it if you park on the side of the road? Through my research, I discovered this kid who has lived in his 19' Winnebago for over 2 years: http://tynan.net/living-in-a-small-rv-introduction - He sleeps while parked and hasn't run into any trouble. Just wanted to get some more opinions on that.

4. Are there any quick questions I can ask sellers on the phone to sort of instantly weed out bum deals? I hate having people "sell" me on a rig only to show up and find that its in complete disrepair.

5. Where should I be looking for a rig? I am currently searching the Craiglist "RVs" section for the word "Toyota". Are there any other places/search terms I should be using to scout?

6. Any other advice you would offer a newbie?

Thanks. Will keep everyone updated.

The big issue for me was whether or not it had a full floating one ton rear axle. I believe after 1986 was when they started to change the rear axle. Earlier years may have had an axle conversion. I suggest you read the axle facts and search prior posts RE: this issue. It's fairly easy to spot these one ton axles. Maybe you are already aware. This will be a good site for you for resources and info. Lots of knowledgable folks. I scoured Craigs List for several months to find mine. These things have a cult following and are sometimes hard to come by if they aren't trashed.

Good luck

DesertRat-

Thanks for the reply. I did read on this site about the rear axle problem and it sounded a bit frightening. I guess make sure that its a 6-lug in the rear and not just a 5-to-6 lug converter. Thats probably a good weed-out question to ask on the phone.

One question about that: What if its a smaller and lighter rig? Say a 16 footer? That puts considerably less weight on the rear axle. Should I still be concerned with making sure its the 1-ton axle?

Also, is the water from the tank drinkable? Or do you guys generally not recommend it?

DesertRat-

Thanks for the reply. I did read on this site about the rear axle problem and it sounded a bit frightening. I guess make sure that its a 6-lug in the rear and not just a 5-to-6 lug converter. Thats probably a good weed-out question to ask on the phone.

One question about that: What if its a smaller and lighter rig? Say a 16 footer? That puts considerably less weight on the rear axle. Should I still be concerned with making sure its the 1-ton axle?

Also, is the water from the tank drinkable? Or do you guys generally not recommend it?