Onan 3.0 Genset

desertrat

met a guy who has a 1985 dolphin. He needed to loose weight (in the motorhome) and said I could have his Onan 3.0 Genset if I removed it. 1 hour later, the Onan is sitting in my garage. This gentleman was not mechanically inclined (not that I am) but said he couldn't start the beast. When I took it out, I found an old rats nest behind it and it had chewed through the wiring cable that went to the start switch. I was toying with the idea of finding a spot in my 1988 Horizon, but am having second thoughts due to the fabrication of a compartment, hooking it up to gas, adding additional weight, etc.

Just wondering if anyone has ever added a genset to their rig and how much hassle they endured. In the end I may set it up for home use when power is out, or sell it cheap. Not sure what these things might be worth.

Thanks

Wow good find it must be fairly new if it's a 3,000 watt no doubt it can be installed do you really need it I guess is the question I sure like my 2.8. Rear bumper mount with it's own fuel tank? I think the 3.0 is what they call a "Camp" module Micro Lite it would make a nice gen set for your home only 120 volt though.

Well it is an ONAN, but the 3kw is an older design with a vertical single cylinder. I think they run at 1800 rpm so could be made quieter. The engine is exposed to the outside.

The 2800 is a single but it runs at 3600 rpm and is a bit nosier, but it is mounted in a hush box that makes it quieter outside the RV

• 3 months later...

Wow good find it must be fairly new if it's a 3,000 watt no doubt it can be installed do you really need it I guess is the question I sure like my 2.8. Rear bumper mount with it's own fuel tank? I think the 3.0 is what they call a "Camp" module Micro Lite it would make a nice gen set for your home only 120 volt though.

I would love to hear more about your (or anyones) rear bumper mount generator with its own fuel tank. What type/size of generator, how is it mounted, fuel tank kind and mount, how long (hours) will it run, can you run the generator while traveling, how do you connect the camper power cord, etc.

I would love to hear more about your (or anyones) rear bumper mount generator with its own fuel tank. What type/size of generator, how is it mounted, fuel tank kind and mount, how long (hours) will it run, can you run the generator while traveling, how do you connect the camper power cord, etc.

I would like to add some addditional information to this post. My response was to a post by "Maineah" about his rear mount generator.

I would like to add some addditional information to this post. My response was to a post by "Maineah" about his rear mount generator.

Sorry ranger my post was a little confusing I have a 2.8 Onan but it is not a rear mount. I guess I did not leave a space behind 2.8. However in my travels I have seen the good the bad and the ugly and they all seem to work I go to a lot of places where there is no power. I have seen them in plywood boxes and beautifully mounted on a hitch carrier even on the roof. Going down the road with it running maybe a problem one being the chance of exhaust fumes getting into the MH because of the huge low pressure area behind the MH and the issue of the power cord. Maybe some others will chime in if they have tried it.